PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cams & Piston

quadrider11
04-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I have been thinking about getting stage 1 hot cams and a high compression piston for my 2005 400EX. Does any body have these mods done yet. I don't have any other engine mods besides a scilencer and i don't want any thing else. So is this a good idea or will i have problems. thanks.

underpowered
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM
great idea. you will love it. will give you a nice power increase, alot of low end.

enduro400rider
04-24-2006, 12:05 PM
good mods but you need a full exhaust or your not going to benifit much, you will need to rejet too, if not get a bigger carb, people are putting 450r carbs on the 400s and i have heard good things

underpowered
04-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
good mods but you need a full exhaust or your not going to benifit much, you will need to rejet too, if not get a bigger carb, people are putting 450r carbs on the 400s and i have heard good things

no, not really. you are right about re-jetting, but not on the other stuff. he will see plenty benefit without a full system. i only run a slip on on my 426 with no problems. a nigh com piston and cam will give him a decent gain with a stock header. and a bigger carb is not needed in any case, but does help. once again, i run a stock carb on my 426 with no problems. a bigger carb will help, but is in no way "needed".

jsmith2232
04-25-2006, 09:36 AM
I did the mods listed in my sig and i can tell a huge difference, it went from 3rd gear wheelies to sitting down 5th gear wheelies.:devil:

enduro400rider
04-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
no, not really. you are right about re-jetting, but not on the other stuff. he will see plenty benefit without a full system. i only run a slip on on my 426 with no problems. a nigh com piston and cam will give him a decent gain with a stock header. and a bigger carb is not needed in any case, but does help. once again, i run a stock carb on my 426 with no problems. a bigger carb will help, but is in no way "needed".

didnt really mean he had to have them, but if your going to build a motor up you might as well do it right and all the way, headers are not that expensive if thats what your worried about, you can get a powerbomb for around $200 even cheaper if you find a used one. if you want FULL benifits and you want to give your motor full potential, than you would run a full system, sure your going to feel a power gain but you will feel more with a full system, as for carb its a cheap mod that will give you more top end, i dont know what kind of ridding he does but if hes doing MX or some other type racing it wouldnt be a bad idea,

one more thing to add, you shouldnt have any problems, but your motor is going to Tick, my hot cam sounded like a freight train, even after the valves were addjusted. but dont worry its normal your going to have to run at least Premium gas, no cheap stuff at least 93 octane, i used a 50/50 mix with race gas and premium