PDA

View Full Version : Elka stiff ?

widesol
04-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Well after a few rides with my elkas i find them very nice and no comparision to stock but i find them very stiff

They are the Rec series

When i sit on the bike it dosent budge at all... Isnt it suppose to sag a bit when you sit on the quad ?? and hitting bumps feels pretty rough

<DRS>GPF
04-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by widesol
Well after a few rides with my elkas i find them very nice and no comparision to stock but i find them very stiff

They are the Rec series

When i sit on the bike it dosent budge at all... Isnt it suppose to sag a bit when you sit on the quad ?? and hitting bumps feels pretty rough

i noticed the same thing, you might loosen up the springs to see if it helps.. also you could call them, they seemed good about customer service..
many here swear by them..

ive tried 3 relatively new sets.. 1 on mine(previously ridden on less than 4 times), again on another EX(bought late in the year before, ridden on a little) and also on a 05 KFX 400(less that one summers use on trails)..all the same type, weight, riding sytle etc..

bottom line, each were stiff and made my arms tired after an hour or so.. ill stick with my Works..

my friend with the KFX was gonna give me a deal, but i turned him down.. he put his stockers back on(which felt more plush than the elka's) and sold the Elka's..

im sure that level of "stiffness" is ok on a track(even though theyre the "rec series").. but when your hitting roots n rocks, a little stiffness in the shocks goes a long way..

250-R-250
04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
My elkas are too soft!

I think someone already said it buy loosen the big not on top that holds the spring in position.....

widesol
04-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 250-R-250
My elkas are too soft!

I think someone already said it buy loosen the big not on top that holds the spring in position.....

Yeah but if i loosen that my front end becomes lower than my rear wich is no good

bradley300
04-25-2006, 09:54 AM
then lower your rear also

widesol
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
My rear shock is as low as can go

04-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by widesol
My rear shock is as low as can go

buy a after market linkage.

widesol
04-25-2006, 10:24 AM
I have front and rear elka with the linkage

my question is should i just go with softer springs front and rear or do they have to be revalved as well

400exMO
04-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Did you have elka valve them for MX? If so that'll be one reason they feel stiff on little bumps. And yes they should sag when you sit on the bike, you should also be able to lift the front end and see the shocks decompressing alittle bit. Sagging under the bike's weight. Call elka, with their customer service I'm sure they'll be happy to redo them for you.