PDA

View Full Version : HD Connecting Rod

Chino886
04-24-2006, 07:32 AM
What does everyone recommend for a HD Connecting Rod, I am getting ready to drop in a 12.5:1 piston and don't want to chance it with my stock rod.

Any other recommendations when doing this? Any machining that needs to be done on the cases or anything like that?

I have all the other mods already......porting, valve job, cam, etc!

F-16Guy
04-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Carrillo. Order it direct from Carrillo Industries and it should be around $175. You can have a local shop install it using your old rod bearing and thrust washers as long as they're in good shape. Check the old rod before you disassemble it. As long as there is no up and down play, and the side clearances are within limits, you should be fine. You will NOT break a Carrillo rod.

Chino886
04-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Carrillo. Order it direct from Carrillo Industries and it should be around $175. You can have a local shop install it using your old rod bearing and thrust washers as long as they're in good shape. Check the old rod before you disassemble it. As long as there is no up and down play, and the side clearances are within limits, you should be fine. You will NOT break a Carrillo rod.

What about a Hot Rod or Falicon?

underpowered
04-24-2006, 10:06 AM
hot rods are pretty good. they are cheaper than carrillo, but not as strong. they are stronger than stock by far, a good choice if you are on a budget.

however, DO NOT reuse your old rod bearing. if you put a new rod on, a new bearing goes with it. never re-use bearings even if they seem to be in good condition. plus your new rod should come with a new bearing anyway. why chance it when you have new parts.