PDA

View Full Version : Motor cuts out when I hit water HARD!

Drtridr18
08-03-2002, 10:24 AM
When it was new this never ever happened, and i was pretty surprised about what I could push/fly this thing thru...but lately for some reason, when we come upon a long waterslick in the trail, not very deep at all, i'm always the first one that wants to banzai thru it, and my 400 cuts out like right in the middle, slowing me down a lot.

When I got to the other side, i pulled my airbox plug on the bottom(i run with lid on by the way), little water came out, and there was barely any crud or wash marks on the inside of the box when i washed 'er up later, and during the crossing, there was little or no water that i noticed sprayin' out the exhaust.

Could it be that it's grounding out the plug the moment a "wall" of water hits it, or is it just lots of water finding its way directly into my air snorkel?? Can I fix the prob. anyway?

Thanks a lot!

08-03-2002, 10:26 AM
water is probably hitting your electricals making it cut out, make sure everything is sealed up.

TheX1992
08-03-2002, 12:15 PM
yes check your electrical. i had that same problem. the one that got me was the tail light (i took it off but it came unrapped and was grounding on the frame, no wonder i wouuldnt start). go through the connections by ur cdi too. but if its not too deep, it might be towards the bottom of ur frame.

Striker49
08-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Do what they said and you might also spray some silcon waterproof spray on your spark plug wire....I think thats right. lol. Mine and Castor-400ex's both did it when we went creek riding the day he come over but we had the problem of our air-boxes filling up. We had to drain them approx 5 times. I was thinking also that it could be just for that instance that water does go in the snorkel and completely covers the opening cutting the air supply to the motor.....my has done that before. Just look over everything and see bout puttin some waterproff spray on it. :cool: