PDA

View Full Version : Stator/CDI: how do i test them?

DieselBoy
04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
how do I test my stator, also what symptoms come with a failing stator? also, how do i test my CDI box? what are symptoms of a failed CDI? What are symptoms of a failing Rectifier?

DieselBoy
04-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Anyone?

1fst400
04-24-2006, 07:04 AM
to test the stator you need a "ohm" meter or sumthin. I dono what it does but I know u will need one.

Im pretty shure the only way to test a cdi is to get a new one and see if it works better than the old one.

I would say the symptoms of a failing cdi would be no spark.

dono much about that electrical stuf.

dsmlover
04-24-2006, 07:51 AM
yeah an ohm meter it mesures restance
you need to mesure the primary and secondary part of the coil, the 2 little ones and the 1 big one going to spark, and the ground for that is the frame
when its bad you get infinate ohms or whatever

bwamos
04-24-2006, 08:25 AM
If you are getting no spark.. it's probably a corroded connector.

Grab the schematic for the Ignition out of your Service manual. Find out wich wire is the 12v power for the CDI. Check the voltage unplugged from the CDI. Should get 12v +/- 0.5v.

Plug the connector back in.. and check the voltave from the backside of the connector. If you're getting low voltage (like 1v) you have a corroded/bad connector somewhere.

Voltage is like water pressure. Picture a 6" inlet pipe going into a tank, and a 3" pipe going out. Even with the 3" pipe all the way open the gank will stay full, at full pressure, bucause you have more going in than out. Now switch that 6" inlet pipe, with a1" inlet pipe. When the 3" pipe is open it will drain the tank, becuase the 1" pipe wont flow enough to keep up, so you loose water pressure. Close the 3" outlet, and the tank fills back up until you're at full pressure again.

A bad/corroded connector is like the 1" inlet.. when you need a 6" inlet.

Break out the schematic, and check all power connections in that manner. You'll find the culprit in short order. ;)

DieselBoy
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
thanks bwamos