PDA

View Full Version : problems after cam was installed

blindsey
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Can anyone tell me why my quad be hard to start after installing a hot cam in it? It fires right up when it is cool, but when I go and ride for about an hour or so and cut it off and try and crank it again, all it does it spin constantly, then it will finally crank. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this could be happening? Thanks

Blue_Streak23
04-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Are you sure it is the cam, not your starter?

GPracer2500
04-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by blindsey
[snip]...and try and crank it again, all it does it spin constantly, then it will finally crank...[snip]

I'm not sure what you mean. When the starter is spinning an engine over, it is "cranking". When the engine "fires" it then begins to run on its own without the starter needing to turn it over.

Are you saying that you can hear the starter spinning but it's not turning the engine over? Or, are you saying that the engine is cranking normally but won't fire?

blindsey
04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
it is turning over fine. There is no problem there. It really is a wierd problem for it to fire up when its cool, but when its hot is when I have the problems. Do you think it could be in my jetting?

GPracer2500
04-23-2006, 04:27 PM
It could be [shrug]. A way too rich pilot circuit can cause hard starting when hot. It may not be noticable when cold, but when the motor gets hot the air getting sucked into the engine also gets hot--that makes a too rich condition worse.

That's why some bikes have "hot start" buttons. They essentially work the opposite of a choke--they lean out the pilot circuit for starting when the engine is hot.

Out of spec valve clearences can also contribute to hard starting. Valve clearences get tighter when the engine is hot.

blindsey
04-23-2006, 04:29 PM
i just had the valves adjusted and it was doing it before I had them adjusted

blindsey
04-23-2006, 04:30 PM
something else to consider is that it doesnt want to idle either

blindsey
04-23-2006, 04:32 PM
another example of what it is doing is that if I am going up a hill and I am not carrying enough rpm,s up the hill, if I hit my throttle wide open, the motor just boggs down. I really dont see how a cam can cause all of this, but its funny how I never had these problems until it was installed.