PDA

View Full Version : removed baffle.....

nj300exr
04-23-2006, 09:51 AM
so i decided to start tinkering with the 450 today, i removed the baffle and have a few question, just to double check, the baffle is inside the spark arrestor, held in by two torx srews right? ok, secondly will removing the baffle cause a need to rejet or anything, i remeber a buddy of mine whos dad removed a baffle on a 300ex and toasted his exhaust valve, now wether that was the reason or just coincidence i dont know, but i would rather not have toasted valves in a brand new 6k bike. my final question is are there any other quick little mods or tricks that people have been doing to open up the motor a little bit, ive heard or the green wire mod for some more r's, and something about turning the idle up in order to have better throttle response and easier starting. ive looked the carb over quick and didnt reall see a thumb screw for the idle, so how do you adjust the idle on th carbs, it is an 06 i dont know if that mattrs for any of thse mods but any little pice of information will be greatly apprecieted

redlineranger
04-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by nj300exr
so i decided to start tinkering with the 450 today, i removed the baffle and have a few question, just to double check, the baffle is inside the spark arrestor, held in by two torx srews right? ok, secondly will removing the baffle cause a need to rejet or anything, i remeber a buddy of mine whos dad removed a baffle on a 300ex and toasted his exhaust valve, now wether that was the reason or just coincidence i dont know, but i would rather not have toasted valves in a brand new 6k bike. my final question is are there any other quick little mods or tricks that people have been doing to open up the motor a little bit, ive heard or the green wire mod for some more r's, and something about turning the idle up in order to have better throttle response and easier starting. ive looked the carb over quick and didnt reall see a thumb screw for the idle, so how do you adjust the idle on th carbs, it is an 06 i dont know if that mattrs for any of thse mods but any little pice of information will be greatly apprecieted

dont hold me to this, but i know this one salesman at a dealership down here and he said if you remove the baffle during break-in period then yes you'll toast the valve's and it will run like sh*t. he said if your going to just run the stock exhaust with the baffle out, then do it after your first oil change, and just always keep your valves adjusted right and you'll be fine. by the way he was telling me this about yfz's and 450r's, because i was asking him about both the day i went to look at them. but just to inform you, other than making it a little bit louder, taking the baffle out of stock exhaust does not help that much at all, you prolly wont even notice a difference power wise.

but anyways another cheap mod you can do with a stock 450r is ditch the airbox lid and get it rejetted. if done properly, you'll feel a pretty decent increase in throttle response(i'm sure you already know that)

313racing
04-23-2006, 06:39 PM
ur idle adjuster is on the right side of your bike just underneath the gas tank
hope this helped some!