PDA

View Full Version : 250R restoration questions...help.

blubyyou
04-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I just purchased the 88/89 style frame....it came with an 87 style swing arm. Will thes work together or do I need to buy the newer 88/89 swing arm? I plan to make this bike a nice woods machine and do a little MX with it too. So I've heard the 87 and older swing arm's are about an inch+ longer and aren't as good as the newer ones? Or would I even notice the difference? This bike is all in parts without and engine at the time, it will be a ground up project. Also I have no A-arms at the time. I was think of a +2 +1 set up for the front...does this sound good? I have been out of the atv scene for five years since I had a banshee and 250x/350x sparks engine racer. I just want to do this right and build a very nice bike that WORKS good! Where is the best place to buy a gusset kit for the frame, I want to get this in first and get the powder coating done first..work from the ground up in order? Sorry for the questions but I'm new to the 250r scene and I'm trying to read and study up as much as I can! Thanks!

250R-Dee
04-23-2006, 10:36 AM
If you use the '87 swingarm you need to add a piece of tubing in the cutout section of the swingarm. If it's a stock swingarm I think you'll be better off getting any (OEM or aftermarket) '88-'89 swingarm and sell the '87 to offset your cost.

Who will be PC'ing your frame? I think Pappy might be able to hook you up with a Gusset kit if you are using him for the PC'ing.

blubyyou
04-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a local shop that does pc'ing ...I can do the gusset work since I have a mig and know how to weld. I guess now I'll just sell the stock 87 swing arm and buy a 88/89 style to start off with.

Now what about a-arms for a +2/+1 set up? Any good deals out there for those? They don't have to be new. Thanks!

250R-Dee
04-23-2006, 11:52 AM
There are plenty of good deals on A-arms out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a set if used LSR's, Burgard's, or Laeger's at a good price if you do some searching in the classifieds and/or Ebay.

I got my ASR +2+1 SPorts Start plus A-Arms off of Ebay for $200 used. I think the new price is ~$350. These arms are perfect for me since I will mainly be playing around in the woods or on small homemade tracks.

250R Gusset search (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1262693&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Jester
04-23-2006, 06:01 PM
I would suggest for woods looking for a stock 88-89 swinger, and running stock width arms or max +1, the 88-89's also were 1" forward I think too.

The longer swinger is nice for hills and such, but the shorter one hooks up well, and will give you tighter turns around trees and stuff.

I don't know of any kits, I would just get some steel and do a search for popular gusset spots on here, I think there are alot of pics floating around.

I think houser made +1 a-arms, I wouldn't suggest burgard. lagear and roll are also nice, but pricy.

matt250r21
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I have an 88-89 stock aluminum swingarm in perfect condition that I want to sell, let me know if you are interested. Needs nothing, perfect condition.

blubyyou
04-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I just pm'd you about the 88/89 swing arm you have for sale ....please PM me back asap...thanks!

blubyyou
04-29-2006, 04:43 PM
matt250r21 you have a new pm....very interested in your swing arm!!!! could you send me a pic or two of it! I want to buy it!