PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins, Works, Elka shocks

DezSled
04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
You know its funny how many experts there are out there on line. There are many shock rebuilding companies and they do a great service to tailor your shocks to your needs. As for me this is just one persons opinon and not to be construed as a blanket statement for everyone, but when I have had my shocks serviced
or revalved for my weight and ability they make riding and racing alot easier.
As for the shocks that I have had good performance with, awhile ago Wayne Moridian from PEP did our Ohlins rear shock for the 24 hr Off Road Endurance Race in '95. Six riders rode the same bike to a 4th overall atv completing 846.3 miles in the aloted time. I can say from the experience that the shocks although not valved for me were excellent. The heaviest rider easily topped 210 lbs and me at that time in full gear was about 160. In other words a good shock should be able to perform for a variety of riders/weights.
Recently I purchased a used set of Ohlins front shocks off ebay. No way of knowing who they were valved for I took them to Precision Concepts. They resprung/revalved them, and lengthened them 1 3/8" for 3 + 1 over a arms. $318. later, now they work pretty darn good going down Coyote Wash pinned in sixth gear.
Works Performance shocks I bought from a friend who had a company and were bought at dealers cost for $217. Triple rate remotes reservoirs in '86. Off the shelf they worked pretty damn good.
Elka Elites were bought from Roll Design for the Lobo II setup. Right from Martin they were pretty stiff, but since they were adjustable I was able to make them work excellent. The best I have ever experienced to date.
Now take an old racing friend and put him on any of the 3 bikes and he says the works performance bike works the best.
Go figure.