PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

CHEVYZ
04-22-2006, 08:59 PM
OK guys, I need help with my 450r. I just installed a HRC kit and the bike will not start. It turns over and it sounds like it wants to go, but it just isn't firing up. I tried turning up the idle, and that did not help. Any ideas? I need them fast, because tomorrow I am supposed to leave for a trip! Someone please help!

desratt
04-22-2006, 09:00 PM
what year????

CHEVYZ
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM

R3Concepts
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Re-shim it. Intakes are probably to tight.

CHEVYZ
04-22-2006, 09:11 PM
I guess I am about to go break back into it. :mad:

desratt
04-22-2006, 09:15 PM
did you check the clearances?
is it getting spark?
did you do the jetting just as it said?

DieselBoy
04-22-2006, 09:16 PM
chevy i have the same problem only mine is stock, let me know if you fix it and how.

CHEVYZ
04-22-2006, 09:28 PM
I am getting back in right now. About to check clearances again. Jetting was done as said, and timing looks to be correct. About to check again for spark as well. Will report back soon!

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 09:07 AM
I don't have a clue. I ended up cancelling my trip. I have checked almost everything. Clearences were checked and done, timing is correct, and jetting is by the book. My connections look good and there appears to be spark. There are only a few things that I could think of. One would be a sensor in the engine that senses when the engine is running backwards ( They have it on the 400EX, don't know about here). I believe that I may have accidentally rotated it counter-clockwise a little bit and was wondering if I could have tripped it? Also there is a setting plate for the decompression mechanism ( I believe) in my manual ( 05-04), but I do not believe my bike has one.. I don't have the part. I don't see where that would come into play though. Anyway, the most I could get was a pop and a backfire. Nothing more. I am starting to get ticked off. This is not the first engine I have done and I have never had any kind of problems to be remotely similar. :mad:

450 Racer R
04-23-2006, 09:21 AM
is the fuel on?:confused:

desratt
04-23-2006, 09:22 AM
make sure that plug in thing that came with it is plugged in all the way.

did you mess with anything besides just putting the kit on???

but i'm still thinking it maybe something with the carb

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I messed with nothing but what came with the kit. The plug is plugged in right... I re-did it and checked just incase. Fuel is on. What do you think might be acting up in the carb? I could see it running badly, but not starting at all has me puzzled. :confused:

Thanks to all that are responding. Hopefully I find out what is going on in there pretty soon.:scary:

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Ah ha! I think that I have figured it out. It is with the carb and it is something major. Going back through I believe that I have adjusted one of the wrong componets. I am resetting it as of right now and adjusting what was supposed to be done in the first place. Will report back soon. I will be one happy camper if this thing fires right up afterward!

honda350r
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I bet you put the slide plate of the carb in upside down.. I have seen it before and the quad will not start..

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know how many turns out the pilot screw is supposed to be standard? Mine was screwed all the way in!

JIMTED79
04-23-2006, 09:56 AM
I am not sure but start with two turns out and see if it fires. My friend had a problem close to yours, damn near took the whole bike apart and it turned out being a bad plug.

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 09:59 AM
OK, I guess I will go and give it a shot. I might try 1 1/2 and see if she goes. I think that is standard on the 41mm.

honda350r
04-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Did you take the slide out to replace the needle? If you did ,I would check the plate .

DieselBoy
04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
SLIDE PLATE????

did you get it chevy??

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Don't know anything about a side plate. I am just as confused as before though. Where is the pilot screw? What I thought to be a pilot screw was some type of fuel valve type set-up so when I turned it out, fuel started pouring out. I don't have a service manual, so I don't have a clue. If some one could explain or send me a pic that would be extremely helpful.

honda350r
04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
I am guessing you are working on a 06.. The screw you are talking about is the fuel bowl drain ..

Did you take your carb apart ??

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Yep. But, I haven't taken much of the carb apart. Should I just go ahead and break it down? Think this is the problem?

honda350r
04-23-2006, 12:11 PM
If you took the slide out and the plate fell off, you may have put it back on upside down.. This will cause the quad not to start ..

DieselBoy
04-23-2006, 12:40 PM
try starting it, and if it wont go, pull out the spark plug. what do you see ? is it wet? can you smell fuel? if so the carburator is working.

JIMTED79
04-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Try what DIESELBOY just said and if your getting fuel to the plug try a new plug I'm telling you my friend almost went bald over his bike not starting and it was a simple plug.

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't have a new plug to try, and I cannot go get one because all places are closed today. It was working fine just the day before yesterday and when I checked it, there was spark. I just messed with the carb some more, and tried re-timing it again. I have checked everything I can think of, though I am not fimiliar with the slide plate. I cannot remember having to take one off. I am real close to saying forget it and bringing it to the Honda dealership next chance. I am totally ticked off right now. I have gone through everything a million times, and still haven't located the problem. I am fresh out of ideas on what can be wrong.:ermm:

R3Concepts
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Cam lobes up and back at TDC???

300extreme#8
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Thats what i would do, better to let some one that messes with them everyday , then try to find out when ur not sure, me and dad bought a honda book on mine, and it helped alot but , we still ended up let someone do the head for us, but it shouldnt cost much and u'd feel better bout it.. and once they figure it out and fix it, u could prolly take care of the rest on ur own

desratt
04-23-2006, 02:55 PM
when you replaced the main jet..
there is the screw by it (inside the float bowl) you turned that just as the instructions said ?

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. Yeah, desratt, I adjusted everything. I can not see what could be wrong. I guess I will have to take it to the dealer... something I didn't want to do. Oh well, though. I cannot see what it can be. I will keep you guys in on all the info. Hopefully it will do well for others, too, who may have problems. I have a little more time before I can bring it to the dealer anyway, a little more time to continue fiddling.:chinese:

DieselBoy
04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm in the same situation as you, it wants to go. it keeps trying but it just won't run. I'm stumped. It's gotta be electrical... I'm just not sure what. Keep us posted when you find out as this will aid me in fixing mine.

CHEVYZ
04-23-2006, 07:08 PM
No problem.

CHEVYZ
04-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Well guys, I figured it out. After going over the bike, I thought I had everything right. I re-did the carb and everything else, so I knew everything had to be good with the exception of the engine internally. I went to the Honda dealer and they helped me ALOT. Unfortunately, they could not fix my bike. Not becuase they could not do it for some reason of their own... I did not buy the bike there and the 100 bikes that were before me... I really didn't want to leave my bike sit for 3 weeks. I ended up getting the guy to let me take out and read the 06 manual and talk to the mechanic... actually, the mechanic was the guy that not only helped me figure out the problem, but recommended I not leave my bike there. Very helpful people. I ended up buying my HRC kit from the for $300.00 with tax and everything with a oil filter and other little goodies included. Good prices, too..,. I really like that shop. Back to the bike. Anyway, I found that my timing was off by one tooth. I was rotating by the crank as a method of lining up the timing. I had to put it in gear and roll it into alignment instead. Boy was I happy when I found that was off. Fixed it and it started right up.

Now here is the really good part. After running some fuel through it as some break-in for the cam, I got to put it to the test. I was very impressed. The power is all around better, and the bike runs so much easier. I haven't raced my 05 yet, but I raced a YZ 250 dirtbike. I raced him on dirt, in the street, and in a loose dirt/ sandy terrain. I destroyed him everywhere we went. It wasn't even close... and what surprised me most was that not only could I out accelerate him, but I had more top-end as well! This thing rolls on the top... I was surprised. I actually let him pass me and I punched it and passed the guy back up with ease. He told me that it was by far the fastest quad he had ever raced. I can't wait to put it to the real test. Possibly tommorow I am supposed to be going out and racing my 05 and a buddies YFZ. I cannot wait.

DieselBoy, I am gonna PM you and see if I may be able to help you out. You have the 400EX, right?

redrider9045
04-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey im glad that u got ur bike fix but you might want to check out yoru piston ive had people havine wrong timing and valve would hit the top of the piston

CHEVYZ
04-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks! I don't think that it hurt anything, though. I don't appear to be having any problems right now, so I probably won't be opening the engine back up any time soon.

DieselBoy
04-29-2006, 12:51 PM
PM'd ya.

desratt
04-30-2006, 02:20 PM
your good to go.