PDA

View Full Version : Normally closed tether switch

STEVENJANNA
04-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Does anyone make a Pro Design "clip in" style killswitch that is normally closed?

wvspeedfreak
04-22-2006, 06:44 PM
I think Gunnar makes them both ways.

CannondaleRider
04-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Most all kill switches are "normally closed" switches, because most bikes are a closed circuit system.

Cannondales and a few others are the rare "normally open circuit" systems.

STEVENJANNA
04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I think Gunnar makes them both ways.
I found one from Dennis Kirk. Thanks

JOEX
04-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Anyone want to explain the difference between an open and closed circuit:)

wvspeedfreak
04-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Well,I am not going to be able to explain it like a scientist but basically on a "normally closed" circuit the kill switch is closed allowing current to run through it to the coil.When the tether is pulled,the circuit is broken and no current flows to the coil.
On a "normally open" circuit the killswitch is wired to send a direct ground to the coil when the tether is pulled.In other words the switch is "open" until the tether is pulled and it closes the ground circuit.Hope this helps.

JOEX
04-22-2006, 09:22 PM
That helps;)

Next...

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of one or the other?

CannondaleRider
04-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Only advantage i've found thus far.....its a hell of a lot easier to find a tether for a closed circuit system.

Of course, Cannondales are normally open

STEVENJANNA
04-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Most tethers are normally opened (Pro Design being the most popular). A normally opened tether is used to "short" the ignition circuit in most applications. A normally closed tether is used to mimic the "on/off" characteristics of the "on/off" switch. I prefer to use a normally closed switch with electronic ignition systems. I'm not a big fan of "shorting" out electronic components even if it does work.

CannondaleRider
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
The name is describing the type of system the bike has.

Normally Closed circuit tethers, go on a Normally closed circuit bike. Most are closed.

Normally Open circuit tethers, go on a normally open circuit bike.

Not saying you are unknowledgable...i believe your just getting your names flipped around.

STEVENJANNA
04-23-2006, 10:31 AM
The "closed or open" operation of the tether determines wether or not the circuit is opened or closed in it's "normal" position (the normal position being the tether engaged in the switch). The switch you want to use is variable on what operation you are trying to accomplish. In my case I have a YFZ 450 and I have removed all of the handle bar controls and I want a tether that will act like the on on/off switch (which in the run position is normally closed) I want the tether to open the circuit when the tether is removed just like the on/off switch did.

A normally open switch is used in an application where you want to close the circuit when the tether is pulled. This is when you are trying to "ground" or "short" the ignition circuit. You do this to divert the ignition voltage to ground, away from the coil. As I said earlier I'm not a big fan of shorting electronic components.

Your description of which switch goes with which circuit is correct and it's exactly the way I described it earlier. What I was trying to say was the the most popular killswitch (Pro Design) is normally opened and they don't offer you a choice of closed or open. They just show you how to use there switch to short your electronics out (usually backwards through the coil circuit). On older ignition systems that's OK but if that's the way the factories wanted the ignition circuits shut off that's how they would have wired them. I know that it works but I just don't prefer to do it that way.

I have a normally closed switch that I got from Pingel but the tether connection isn't very positive and comes dislodged at the slightest bump. I was looking for one with a more positive engagement.