PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Caliper Question

derekhonda
08-02-2002, 10:51 PM
I dont know if many of you remember but I havenot had rear brakes for about 3 monthes (i havnt ridden much though) But anyways i finally tore into it about three weeks ago and narrowed down the reason why i was not getting pressure. I believe that The seals in and around the brake piston have seized up or been warped or something causing me to not have brakes but i dont know if that would cause me to not have pressure either.

Anyways, i picked up some new seals anyone wanna coach me through it? Thanks guys

derekhonda
08-03-2002, 01:35 PM
Comeon......

RytM1
08-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Well, if they are warped somehow, they could be letting pressure and/or fluid pass by them. Did you notice any brake fluid around there?

derekhonda
08-03-2002, 07:47 PM
yes, it did leak very slowly, and that would explain not having any pressure. Got any ideas how to get the old ones out and the new ones back in?

RytM1
08-03-2002, 09:36 PM
No, I don't, but my service manual does....I have never done a caliper rebuild, so I don't know what all is involved. I can try and scan the pages tomorrow and email them to you.

08-03-2002, 11:13 PM
Do you have it all apart yet?

once you have removed the caliper go get your manual and let us know if you still have any questions.

Not busting but if you manage to $crew up anything it is only going to get more expensive.

Basicly what you want to do is disassemble the caliper ( the seals/orings are mounted both in the body and on the shaft (if i remember right) and the outside larger one seems easy to tear etc. so be carefull. Use extra caution when removing/installing the cylinder not to mark or scratch it. Carefully install the new seals and put it back together.

ITs not realy a hard job but you could have problems with the sealing if anything gets out of whack.

RytM1
08-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Derek, give me your email address so I can send these to you.

derekhonda
08-04-2002, 10:31 AM
Thank you very much, my neighbor has a manual so i can just borrow his but i apreciate your offer very much. I do have my caliper off but I do not know how to push the piston out. I tapped it very lightly with a hammer and it moved but then it stopped. It probably says how to do it in the manyual. Thanks guys....if anyone has done this and knows any tricks be sure to pass them on.

derekhonda
08-05-2002, 09:40 AM
still havnt started yet, probably gonna do it tonight.

bump

Matt400ex_17
08-05-2002, 09:17 PM
I would try to bleed your brakes before gettin into any expensive repairs.. One mornin i woke up and found a puddle of brake fluid on the barn floor after i had rode in a race the night before so i dont know what happened if anything but i bled the brakes and they have been workin good as new ever since!!!!!!!

08-05-2002, 11:05 PM
If there are no leaks now I bet one of the bleeders was leaking and you fixed it when you bled them, just a thought.