PDA

View Full Version : ~450r TT Build-Up~ Check this out!!!

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Well i decided to rip my quad down this winter and start from scratch in an attempt to build a bad *** TT quad. Throughout many trials and tribulations, i think i've acheived a pretty reputable machine and a true contender for the upcoming season.

Here is what we had to start with:

Stock 04 frame with a complete Bare Performance Gusset Kit..
The kit was welded by Justin Green.. great job btw!!!!

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Along with the Frame being gusseted and powdercoated.. nearly all of the other components on the machine were also done is gloss black.

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 02:46 PM
While the frame and other parts were out to be powdercoated, Tony Green and I decided that the motor needed a little treatment also. We decided to go with a JE 13.1 compression piston kit, and an 04 CRF 450r cam. All went well and before we knew it the engine was all back together.

Here is Tony buttoning up the motor...

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 02:48 PM
After a lookover of the motor and frame, it was time to get the motor bolten in position.

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Following the install of the motor, i began to work on routing the wiring and installing some of the other main component in the front end. Tony worked on getting the axle and new carrier going in the back..

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
We were really excited to see how the new ESR air box eliminator kit was going to look, and we couldn't be more happy with fitment and finish.

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 02:58 PM
For front suspension, i decided to go with Epic Lt +2 front arms and Custom Axis Triple rate-Triple adjustable front shocks.

And in the rear i kept the stock swinger and threw a Custom Axis Dual Adjust shock with an Eibach spring. Seems to be a great improvement over stock.

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Here is a picture of the front end setup with a Rath Racing adjustable swaybar. I also routed the rear shock rezzie to the front and placed it horizontally on the framerail...

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Since we were moving along to smoothly, we didn't take the time to take pictures from this point on, so here are the picture of the finished product.

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Side view..

i decided to go with Hipers all the way around.. pricey, but well worth it i think..

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 03:09 PM
The Epic/Custom Axis front End..

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Rear end.... check it out....NO airbox!!!! :devil:

xsr_racing28c
04-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Here is the last pic i have...

Overall, the build went great and i had so much fun learning and believe that it was well worth the time and money.

I just want to give a special thanks to Tony Green for helping me out with everything and putting up with me changing my mind about things so often. Its been fun..

Tell me what you guys and gals think about the quad.. Look for it in the June quad of the month.. ~Jason

xtremeracer
04-22-2006, 04:22 PM
thats pretty kewl man

i like the black rims

ny300exrider
04-22-2006, 04:23 PM
that looks amazing man, ive always loved white/black schemes

exrider44
04-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Man that thing is bad arse. I would love to even drive on the roads with it. I wish quads were street legal.

john.E.business
04-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Well you have my vote that thing is bad *****!!!:devil:

clutt225
04-22-2006, 07:31 PM
I love the black and white. I love it so much mine is black and white also. Nice quad you did a great job, and the color scheme rocks.

MR.BIG
04-22-2006, 08:42 PM
:macho awesome job looks great!

flattrack450
04-23-2006, 01:57 AM
you *****.... we want action shots! enough of the build pics, lets see this thing in a full throttle power slide..., maybe even a wheelie on the lawn??? with tt tires???

on a serious note..... it sure was nice to see this project come together. no expense was spared. a lot of planning (mine) and money (his) went into this project and it was never anything less than a pleasure to volunteer my time and resources to make it happen. after racing a few years (and nationals) myself, i found it more enjoyable to help a newbie get into the business than i ever found in racing myself. we put our heads together and made this project a wonderful show-piece with plenty of grunt to boot.
now with all the pro footage i have gathered over the last two years, hopefully Mr. Xsr_Racing28c can learn a thing or two about tt and be able to drive away from the competition this upcoming season.

and btw, look for me to be on this thing a few times this year myself. we've negotiated a square deal for all my time and labor. gotta love the old barter and trade method... no $ involved. plan on running a tt at the www.beavercycleclub.com race may 7 and the www.dairylandclassic.com race on fri june 2nd. just to help out with setup of the new machine of course!!!!

anybody in the area, feel free to drop a pm or see us at the races. always looking forward to meeting new members from this site and eager to help any local sucker that decides its a good decision to go quad racing.

later
ft450

iceracer65, what do you think? only thing i would have done different would be a standard travel front end.

xsr_racing28c
04-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Here is Tony powersliding on my front lawn with a sweet photoshopped helmet...

xsr_racing28c
04-23-2006, 08:31 AM
and here is me with me custom lid also.. I'll have more action pics soon.

TRUTH
04-23-2006, 01:11 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coming from a YFZ pilot, this is hard to say...That is the sickest 450 I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: Jay, GOOD JOB!:eek2: I can't wait to see it in action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIXXER1KR
04-23-2006, 06:42 PM
The prettiest quad ive seen in a while.Not to flashy but very nice.Great job and good luck with her!!!!!

xsr_racing28c
04-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the comments guys!! Our intention in building the quad was for it to look clean and for the color scheme to flow. I beleive that once you start going overboard with colors, things just start to look gaudy... We decided to go with the white and black because it's something a little different than you normally see, and thats what it's all about.. i like to be different!!

As soon as i get some more action pics, i will have them posted. Trust me this quad wasn't build to be pretty, it'll have plenty of time on the track.

dmackesty
04-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Very nice build. Gotta love hitting sweepers 5th gear wide open.

iceracer65
04-24-2006, 09:34 AM
that is one TASTEFULL build!! im quite jealous...hopefully it goes for you as good as it looks!!

i plan on hitting a couple of local races this summer as well, that will be a hard quad to miss.

the long travel front might not be so bad if you get it dialled in. there are a few pros that run that kind of set up. the only other thing i would get is a -1" swinger, especially usefull on the slick local tracks.

pm me with any handling/set up questions, OR i could always throw my leg over it to give you my impression of it:devil: :devil: :devil:

xsr_racing28c
04-24-2006, 09:48 AM
hey you should come out one day and ride. I have a track at my house that we could play around on.. Nothing too incredible, but at least its something to practice on.

and i'm sure i'd let you get a ride on it.. :devil:

iceracer65
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
sweet, im always looking for a chance to ride.

it would only be fair to trade rides for a few laps. i would be intrested to see how our motors stack up considering we both have the same compression pistons.

let me know...

john.E.business
04-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Once again that is a bad ***** machine but now im abit curious on where a guy can get one of those custom helmets... i mean u gotta look good to ride good right??

xsr_racing28c
04-24-2006, 10:26 AM
if you post a pic, i can make you a custom helmet any color you'd like... :devil:

One_Bad_400
04-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Very nice bike! what class will you be running?

One_Bad_400
04-24-2006, 08:12 PM
oh ya... adn what air filter are you running with what addaptin.. i was elimination my air box this year too and was planning on building my own addaptation but i onow? i'm already running TOO fare behind...

here is a little hint on how fare behind i am... i will receve my suspention and motor 2 days before we leave for the first national... i'm kinda scared

305400ex
04-24-2006, 08:27 PM
WOW... your bike looks amazing. I think you just sold me on the white frame with white/black plastics.

95Danes
04-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey Jason
Good job on the wheels. I hope you do really well this year. But I dont know If I am going to be able to let you run out front. Thats if we meet up at any races. I will have to come and take a look at this thing one of these weekends. I am hoping to have both of my quads together to run the tt at beaver cycle.

EvilEwok
04-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Yea I think I have found my future quad. That thing is amazing, it's indescribable how beautiful that 450r is. Really man, amazing job. Great taste, I dream of quads looking this clean! Good luck on the season, keep us updated, please!

xsr_racing28c
04-25-2006, 07:29 AM
Jestin: I really don't plan on having to run with you as of yet, cuz i'm probably going to run only B class for now, but hopefully i can move up to A later on.. I have to get the hang of the TT stuff first, then i'll try to contend with you. Did you end up getting an 06?? My sister just got one last week.. Let me know what your setup is going to be.. Also i see your trying to put your crf back together.. sweet deal!!!!! Tony and I will be at Atwater, so you better pit next to us!! Shoot me a call soon... ttyl, ~Jay

95Danes
04-25-2006, 02:48 PM
I am trying to get the crf together for atwater but I dont know if it will be done yet. I have an 06 trx now but that is going to be a slow build up so mabey we will see that half way throught the season. You should run the 4-stroke class to the more seat time you get the better you are going to get. I will be at atwater no matter what but I dont know if I will have the ride together. talk to you later.

xsr_racing28c
04-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Well just keep an eye out for me, we'll be there for sure. I just order new JD Performance LT arms about two hours ago, so if anyone wants the Epic Lt's on my quad, let me know..

One of these days i'll make my mind up.. haha:devil:

EvilEwok
04-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Was anything specifically wrong with Epic's ;) ? Why the change?

xsr_racing28c
04-26-2006, 08:10 AM
no nothing wrong at all, i've actually ridden with them for 3 days now and really like them, its just that i'm too wide with them. Since TT calls for a lower ride height, i am too wide in the front end. It turns out that the arms are actually a +3 front end, and i thought i was getting a +2, so now i'm too wide and need +2... And after talking to Dave @ JD Performance, i know that he stands behind his customers, which is very important to me..

If anyone is interested, pm me..

bwilson624
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Love the black and white color scheme amazing looking bike. Really great job. How do you like the ESR airbox elimination kit? I've been looking into getting one. What size jetting are you running?

xsr_racing28c
04-27-2006, 07:28 PM
The ESR kit seems to be great so far. Its hard to say how much power it gained so far cuz i've done other engine mods at the same time...

Jestin, give me an update on your quad situation...!!!

95Danes
04-28-2006, 06:03 AM
I just put the order in for the crf motor today. I am working on the chassis as we speek. I am hoping to have the motor so all I have to do is bolt it in before may 7th. I just might have to copy the white plastic. Going to go a little differnt on the 06 going to go white plastic, blue frame, and a blue janssen graphics kit, going to look tight. cant wait I all ready got it all apart to gusset the frame and powdercoat. are you running the saturday and sunday show at atwater. I am going to go down both days weather I ahve a wheeler to ride or not.

xsr_racing28c
04-28-2006, 07:33 AM
I will be at Atwater for the sunday TT race. So you better make sure you come over .... ttyl

95Danes
04-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I will try to get down there.