PDA

View Full Version : raptor vs. predator

matthoyda
04-22-2006, 02:10 PM
which is a better trail quad, bewteen power, handleing and reliability? and what are some pro's and con's of both?
Im buying one or the other and im not sure which one...need help
thanks guys

matthoyda
04-22-2006, 02:19 PM
also looking into a banshee...how would that measure up to the others? which is my best bet

Blue_Streak23
04-22-2006, 07:39 PM
It depends on what Predator you are talking about (Regular or TLD), and what raptor you are talking about (660 or 700). I ride a stock 660R, and my friend (Wolffie) has a TLD Predator with a HMF slip-on and a Civic intake. First off, for power they are both good. The predator has more torq in 1st-3rd, but the raptor has better top-end. For handling, I would say the Predator TLD, because the rear axle is MUCH wider than the stock raptor's. A quick fix for the raptor would be some rear wheel-spacers though. They both seem to hold up to what ever you can throw at them, so I would say they are both reliable. Some pros for the Raptor is that it looks good:D and has plenty of power. Some cons for the Raptor is that it is a little tippy, and the starter clutch. Some pros for the Predator TLD are its handling and suspension(FOX shox baby:cool: ). Some cons for the Predator TLD is the intake:( and the width through tight spaces.

>>Between the Predator TLD and the Raptor 660, I say the Raptor! (because I ride one:D)

wolffie
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
blue_streak23 summed it up pretty well. the raptor 660 also has some troubles in the earlier models. starter and one way bearing i believe (i cant remember the specific years for each)

the 03 and 04 preds tend to need the frames gusseted if you do any hardcore racing or crazy trail riding.

i have rode both the raptor and pred as well. both are GREAT trail bikes, and you really cant go wrong with either. see what kind of a price you can get and go from there. i would recommend test riding both because i feel it will ultimately come down to preference.

In stock form i would personally say the TLD Pred is a bit better choice because you get GREAT FOx shocks (both STd. and TLD preds also have wider front ends and axles than the Raptor, as mentioned before) however, i think the Raptor is just as good if not better than regular pred (as well as the TLD for that matter)

see what kind of deal you can get and test ride them!!!

oh yeah, btw, a 700 Raptor (if you are buying new) would be my first choice between the those three! i dont want to get any more wordy than i already have, so check some magazines if you want to hear good reviews on that!

MadDog56
04-23-2006, 05:44 PM
03 preds had some trans issues as well, I'd stick to 05 if you can afford it (reverse) or 04.

If you upgrade the suspension on the raptor I think it's a better bike all around. If you plan on keeping it stock with a few bolt ons like pipe and filter both are excellent choices. The pred has the advantage in handling and both are pretty even power wise in stock form. With bolt ons the raptor has the power advantage, with internal modifications the raptor really pulls away.

Blue_Streak23
04-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
blue_streak23 summed it up pretty well. the raptor 660 also has some troubles in the earlier models. starter and one way bearing i believe (i cant remember the specific years for each)

For the problems with the raptor, it consists of this:

01'=tranny issues (on most), and one-way starter clutch
02'=one-way starter clutch
03'=one-way starter clutch
04' and 05'= none that I know of!

Quad Boy 660r
04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Streak23
For the problems with the raptor, it consists of this:

01'=tranny issues (on most), and one-way starter clutch
02'=one-way starter clutch
03'=one-way starter clutch
04' and 05'= none that I know of!

04's and 05's have bad starter clutches too. The 01 have also had probs with backfiring and blowing off the carbs.

Everything else worth saying has already been said!

fast raptor
04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
the 04 and 05 don't have any problems, i would never buy and polaris, i just think they are ****.

Blue_Streak23
04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by fast raptor
the 04 and 05 don't have any problems, i would never buy and polaris, i just think they are ****.

Do you have any facts? I know Yamaha is the best and everything:D , but Polaris isn't THAT bad.

fast raptor
04-25-2006, 03:11 PM
my friend has a pred and he has had so many problems, and it doesn't even go that good, i could out climb him on my warrior, there ****, beleave me.

Blue_Streak23
04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
my friend has a pred and he has had so many problems, and it doesn't even go that good, i could out climb him on my warrior, there ****, beleave me.

LMAO...Wolffie has had some problems with his preedy too. We think his are because his carb though. He jetted it himself, and it hasn't ran that good for long so far. At least he tried though. I bet TRX23rider will be on here soon ripping wolffie apart!:D lol, he likes do make fun of the preddies.

fast raptor
04-25-2006, 03:24 PM
i like to **** on the preddies too :)

TRX23rider
04-25-2006, 03:30 PM
i dont have that many problems with the predator other than the looks of it. they are so ugly imo

as for wolffies jetting job well it been about 45 tries and it is almost running 'spot on' now but i bet in a couple of days he will have to mess with it again.

MadDog56
04-25-2006, 06:30 PM

The 04 and 05 models have problems with the one-way, they're just a little stronger than previous models.

250r4life
04-25-2006, 10:54 PM
i'm with whoever is saying polaris sucks...

i really just dont think they make a good bike... go ask any shop and they'l tell you the predators are junk (every shop ive ever talked to).

IMO, honda makes the best bike, then yamaha, then suzuki, and then polaris... however, honda and yamaha are in a whole different league then suzuki and polaris... now i know they all have their problems and i know there are always exceptions, but for the most part...

i'd get the raptor... an 04 or 05... still skeptical on the 06...

fast raptor
04-25-2006, 10:59 PM
yeha partner, polar-***, suck ***

wolffie
04-26-2006, 09:45 AM
from a person whose family has owned multiple brands of quads, i dont think it is really fair to say a certain brand "sucks" or is the "best":huh

All of the brands have their little problems, but you really need to go by the specific model! I mean lets be honest, every brand has their strenghts and weaknesses. For example, Yamaha has excellent sport quads, but their Utillity arent as stellar as compared to other brands IMO. im not trying to start a war here, im just saying i dont really think its fair to say a certain brand is this and that!

in response to the jetting, this was the first time i have ever jetted a carb. i never damaged anything, it was just a matter of leaning out the main jet (i was jetting for a civic setup and started really rich!) considering it was my first time, jetting for a cold air intake without any instructions was a bit of a challange:eek2: it is running great now though:D

wolffie
04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
yeha partner, polar-***, suck ***

With all do respects man, have you ever had some major seat time on the pred? have you ever tested/rode on other Polaris quads? i dont think it is really logical to say a whole brand sucks when you havent seen all of their models :huh i personally like Yamaha myself! i think the raptors and yfzs, and many other models are excellent excellent quads! that doesnt necesarilly mean Yamaha is the best though. Same with Polaris; i like the pred, but that doesnt mean all of their models are superb. everyone has an opinion, just dont trash something for no reason;)

Blue_Streak23
04-26-2006, 01:28 PM
in response to the jetting, this was the first time i have ever jetted a carb. i never damaged anything, it was just a matter of leaning out the main jet (i was jetting for a civic setup and started really rich!) considering it was my first time, jetting for a cold air intake without any instructions was a bit of a challange:eek2: it is running great now though:D

I know Matt, I was only kidding!:D Hell, I haven't jetted the carbs on my four-wheeler.

250r4life
04-26-2006, 06:08 PM
from a person whose family has owned multiple brands of quads, i dont think it is really fair to say a certain brand "sucks" or is the "best":huh

All of the brands have their little problems, but you really need to go by the specific model! I mean lets be honest, every brand has their strenghts and weaknesses. For example, Yamaha has excellent sport quads, but their Utillity arent as stellar as compared to other brands IMO. im not trying to start a war here, im just saying i dont really think its fair to say a certain brand is this and that!
:D

like i said in my original post, yes, they all have their problems and crap happens on a case by case basis... and we're talking about sport quads, who said anything about utility quads? and like i said (man i hate typing disclaimers in my original posts to avoid stupid responses, only to have the stupid responses come anyways) in my 1st post that they all have their problems and there are always exceptions...

and im not saying this cuz im a high school punk tryign to talk crap or anything, i honestly do not feel that polaris makes a good bike....

250r4life
04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
ps- i didnt trash polaris for no reason- i have plenty of them... its nothing personal, like i said, i just think polaris makes a crappy quad

Blue_Streak23
04-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
ps- i didnt trash polaris for no reason- i have plenty of them... its nothing personal, like i said, i just think polaris makes a crappy quad

If they SUCK...why do you "have plenty of them"?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

MadDog56
04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
If they SUCK...why do you "have plenty of them"?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I was waiting for someone to say that...

The answer is, because he's full of $hit and has probably hasn't ridden one for more than five minutes let alone owned one.

Blue_Streak23
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by MadDog56
I was waiting for someone to say that...

The answer is, because he's full of $hit and has probably hasn't ridden one for more than five minutes let alone owned one.

LMAO...probably true. Even after that long speach.:D

fast raptor
04-27-2006, 02:04 PM
people are starting to agree that predators and any polaris is $hit

250r4life
04-27-2006, 11:47 PM

let me give you boys a quick grammar lesson... and why dont you take it easy before you jump the gun...

lets go over this again for those of you who are as bout as sharp as a marble...

"i didnt trash polaris for no reason- i have plenty of them (referring to REASONS retards!!!) ... who says they have plenty of bikes? and why the heck would i own plenty of polariss when i say they dont make a good quad...

250r4life
04-27-2006, 11:49 PM
ps- i can picture your little feeble minds getting confused upon reading my original post... so, next time you get confused and ask "well why..." - try and re-read my post a few hundred times till you can make sense of it... it really shouldnt have been that hard...

and no, i have not owned a polaris- i'm smarter than that... i have, however, ridden and worked on several of them...

Blue_Streak23
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
First of all, If you don't like are raptor section....then leave! And second of all, maybe you should get a grammer lesson and make yourself more CLEAR! So start by getting your GED, work at McDonalds for a few years, and pay for a college education!:D

MAaudioX10
04-28-2006, 09:38 PM
And second of all, maybe you should get a grammer lesson and make yourself more CLEAR!

Surely, you two can find something better to do then pick on two kids for improper grammar. It is a bit of a reach.

Really, it is quite pathetic. Thought the Raptor owners were a little more crafty....guess I was wrong. Way to set a good example.

OH!, by the way Blue_Streak23, it's GRAMMAR. Not, GRAMMER. Perhaps, you need to start by getting your GED, work at McDonalds for a few years, and pay for an college education!:rolleyes:

Blue_Streak23
04-29-2006, 07:37 AM
I know, it was a little immature. I just can't stand when other people try to come into a conversation, and act like they are better than everyone else. ;)

250r4life
04-29-2006, 04:13 PM
First of all, If you don't like are raptor section....then leave! And second of all, maybe you should get a grammer lesson and make yourself more CLEAR! So start by getting your GED, work at McDonalds for a few years, and pay for a college education!:D

buddy- 1st of all, it should be "our raptor section" and not "are." now who needs the GED..? and, just for the record, i attend ASU on a full academic scholarship- i end up getting paid to get my degree... the funny thing is, is that as a full time student im pretty dang sure i make more in a year than you ever will... and thats taking into consideration all the OT you will put in too... then again, i may very well have months when i make more than you make in a whole year...

250r4life
04-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I know, it was a little immature. I just can't stand when other people try to come into a conversation, and act like they are better than everyone else. ;)

who was trying to call me out and show me up? oh yah- you caught me in my lie- i own a bunch but i think they suck, and yep, i'm full of ####...

try to come into a conversation? i've posted several times on this topic- not like i came in at the end... and these are forums, i'm pretty sure people were supposed to comment on discussion- thats pretty much the point of it if i recall correctly. and why do i post in the raptor section, cuz as i suppose you're some punk high school kid, and even not owning a raptor i know your bike better than you do...

MAaudioX10
04-30-2006, 12:05 AM
LMAO....^^^^ why don't you tell us how you really feel.

250r4life
04-30-2006, 01:55 AM

Blue_Streak23
05-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Yep.. you caught me, I don't own a raptor.:rolleyes: Thats why I posted pictures up of it!hahaha...You are smart! I'm not tring to say that I am a ****ing rocket scientist, I was just joking around with ya! Jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz!

Blue_Streak23
05-01-2006, 01:01 PM
and even not owning a raptor i know your bike better than you do...

Ik, if I didn't own one, I would probably research and dream of a rapter all day long too!:D

250r4life
05-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Ik, if I didn't own one, I would probably research and dream of a rapter all day long too!:D

man, you're less intelligent than what i gave you credit for...
i never said anything about you not owning a raptor, i said that even though i dont own one i know more about raptors than you...

man, what are they teaching you kids in school these days?

wolffie
05-02-2006, 04:36 PM

250r4life
05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
thats pretty funny, but is pretty messed up and i have a feeling that all of us that thought it amusing will go to hell cuz of it...

MadDog56
05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Really? I just thought it was as stupid as the rest of the **** that transpires over the internet forums.

That picture and saying is old, and in this case maybe even older than you. Never, and I mean Never post that again.

250r4life
05-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Really? I just thought it was as stupid as the rest of the **** that transpires over the internet forums.

That picture and saying is old, and in this case maybe even older than you. Never, and I mean Never post that again.

yah- i know it is old- its been posted for a while even on these forums on this site... i doubt older than me, however...

i still say its messed up..

wolffie
05-04-2006, 04:20 PM

i took the pic off. i apologize for posting that, and i am sorry if it offended you.

killen them all
05-04-2006, 07:16 PM
what was it a pic of

walsh450rHonda
05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Just to let you guys know I was a service manager and mechanic at a Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris dealership. Every quad has issues if you don't clean and maintenance the thing. I've seen many wierd issues on all brands. I will say this though, Polaris is in the business of selling parts especially bearings. Thier replacement parts need serviced often and replaced much more than other manufactures. If you do get a polaris always replace parts with aftermarket parts. I personally would never own a polaris as to the many things I have seen. But my uncle loves polaris and has owned almost every model they have ever had. He now owns a predator. He likes to replace parts.

250r4life
05-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by walsh450rHonda
Just to let you guys know I was a service manager and mechanic at a Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris dealership. Every quad has issues if you don't clean and maintenance the thing. I've seen many wierd issues on all brands. I will say this though, Polaris is in the business of selling parts especially bearings. Thier replacement parts need serviced often and replaced much more than other manufactures. If you do get a polaris always replace parts with aftermarket parts. I personally would never own a polaris as to the many things I have seen. But my uncle loves polaris and has owned almost every model they have ever had. He now owns a predator. He likes to replace parts.

:D thats all i gotta do, is :D

walsh450rHonda
05-04-2006, 09:04 PM
hahahaha..............I have a honda, yamaha, cannondale (don't get me started on that thing), kawasaki, and I soon will get a LTR 450. My only preference is performance.

MAaudioX10
05-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by walsh450rHonda

I own a 03' Pred and 05' Pred.

As far as replacement parts, the 03' pretty much needs a whole new front end. Although, that machine has about 250+ hours on stock bushings and bearings.

My 05', I have had better luck with. Have about 70+ hours on it and everything is as tight as the day I brought her home. Other than the transmission locking up, I have no complaints.

However, I will take this opportunity to mention that I will NEVER buy another Predator until there is a different motor in that bike. The transmissions are JUNK in all of them!

I will never sell my Predator, too much money in it, but, I will most likely be a 450ER owner by the end of the year.

450rJam
05-07-2006, 12:46 PM
MAaudioX10, come on over to the honda side there's plenty of room on this band wagon.
walsh450rhonda gave up some proof that the polaris is suspect

.........if it smells like sh_t, and looks like sh_t, and there is a pile of toilet paper beside it........it prob. is a polaris.

lmao
Im sorry that wasnt called for but I couldnt resist
get the 700 rappy over the 660 or the 500 pred.

MAaudioX10
05-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
MAaudioX10, come on over to the honda side there's plenty of room on this band wagon.
walsh450rhonda gave up some proof that the polaris is suspect

.........if it smells like sh_t, and looks like sh_t, and there is a pile of toilet paper beside it........it prob. is a polaris.

lmao
Im sorry that wasnt called for but I couldnt resist
get the 700 rappy over the 660 or the 500 pred.

Yes, the dark side's force is strong....

red n blk supra
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
there's a lot of immature people in here but your better off going to a dealership and riding them both . How do u feel when u ride the thing .

fast raptor
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by red n blk supra
there's a lot of immature people in here but your better off going to a dealership and riding them both . How do u feel when u ride the thing .

I would not be talking Mr. 15 years old. WTF, the predator is gay, do you even own a quad?

red n blk supra
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I would not be talking Mr. 15 years old. WTF, the predator is gay, do you even own a quad?
ya i might be 15 but im not on here acting out of my body

250r4life
05-09-2006, 04:02 PM

thats pretty ironic that you're writing this after your posts in the "660 and 700 compatability"...

fast raptor
05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
thats pretty ironic that you're writing this after your posts in the "660 and 700 compatability"...

You have been threatend to be kicked off this site befor, do u not have a life and all u do is piss people off?

250r4life
05-09-2006, 06:10 PM
You have been threatend to be kicked off this site befor, do u not have a life and all u do is piss people off?

again, the irony... pretty dang ironic considering your last post, and then you accuse me of pissing people off... your prior post was a whole lot more aggressive and offensive than mine... are you the ____ who keeps reporting me to the mods? maybe i should start reporting you for all your little shananagans...

i really am at a loss for words- you definately are a piece of work...

450rJam
05-09-2006, 06:17 PM
I say race for it and the loser shuts up lol
im not picky, drag race, run a few laps mx,
heck do a 2hr hair scramble.
talk is cheap run the quads not the lips.
no offense to either of you two Im just trying to get some friendly
competition started.
its all good fun.

Blue_Streak23
05-09-2006, 06:20 PM
What the hell is your deal "250r4life"? All you ever do is try to start **** with other members. If you don't like or agree with someone, how about for once you be mature about the situation, and not talk trash. Just ignore the thread. Its really not that hard.

>>>Also, how can you think certain people report you, when you are an ******* to everyone?:confused:

Blue_Streak23
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
I say race for it and the loser shuts up lol
im not picky, drag race, run a few laps mx,
heck do a 2hr hair scramble.
talk is cheap run the quads not the lips.
no offense to either of you two Im just trying to get some friendly
competition started.
its all good fun.

hahaha..."250r4life" might have a few too many races to race.

raptor brothers
05-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Ditto,to Fast raptor & Blue_streak23 about 250r4life!

250r4life why don't you P.M. people with your trash talk so we can read real posts & not have to read through all the trash you stir up?

450rJam,put me on the long list to race 250r4life!

250r4life
05-10-2006, 12:44 AM
What the hell is your deal "250r4life"? All you ever do is try to start **** with other members. If you don't like or agree with someone, how about for once you be mature about the situation, and not talk trash. Just ignore the thread. Its really not that hard.

>>>Also, how can you think certain people report you, when you are an ******* to everyone?:confused:

if i recall correctly, you are the one that came out and tried to catch me (saying that if polaris sucked why would i have them) me in a lie and then your very next post said cuz i was full of ****.. i had not said a single thing to you, nor about the raptor... i simply said that i didnt feel that polaris didnt make a good bike, and that YOU had to be a punk about it... if anybody wants to check, its earlier on in this post... am i not correct- i would love for somebody to prove me otherwise...

ya'll act like i'm the only one to talk a little trash on here... ya'll do the same thing... there are members on here that dont do anything of the sort, but its funny cuz all ya'll that are calling me out are not part of that group- you all run your mouth... ya'll just get mad that i am in opposition to you, and that i out-wit you...

believe me, i would love to get together for races...

red n blk supra
05-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Ok can we get over our little problem and keep it ATV

250r4life
05-10-2006, 01:25 PM
:D :devil: :D

killen them all
05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by raptor brothers
Ditto,to Fast raptor & Blue_streak23 about 250r4life!

250r4life why don't you P.M. people with your trash talk so we can read real posts & not have to read through all the trash you stir up?

450rJam,put me on the long list to race 250r4life!

i want to race him to i like drags

killen them all
05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
believe me, i would love to get together for races... [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah and get beat by every one on the site

250r4life
05-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by killen them all
i want to race him to i like drags

what about mx, or xc, or pretty much anything but drags... will you beat me on those as well? oh thats right, you cant do those with your bike... too bad...

250r4life
05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
ps- killen them all, quick for you to all of sudden hop in side busting out of nowhere...

fast raptor
05-11-2006, 02:14 PM
hey 250r, shut ur fcken mouth, just drop the $hit. it is over, i would race u guys but i live in canada.

250r4life
05-11-2006, 02:22 PM
k- i quit talking about 48 hours ago, until killen them all came in side busting... so dont get on me... i was done with it, like you said... its killen them all coming out being a punk... in fact, lets see what others have to say about him from other posts...

Originally posted by 450r51
if any of you knew this kids past on this website you would not be backing him up. this kid is a loser and has no life. search his other names

whitelakemotors and a bunch of other names.

Originally posted by Evana13
nvm this guy is a total jerkoff I read some of his posts under whitelakemotors and he loves to hate on 400exs but most of his posts are under the 400ex board wierd. And why dose he think he can beat a fully modded 250r in a drag race with his craptor lol I take back wat I sead earlier and you are right this kid needs to get a life :mad:

Blue_Streak23
05-11-2006, 02:31 PM
DROP IT :cuss:

250r4life
05-11-2006, 02:38 PM
i'm done if ya'll are... we can call a truce right now... ;)

fast raptor
05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
we will call a truce, but all of us will still hate you, we just wont fight over this anymore

Blue_Streak23
05-11-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm done!:D Just nobody start talking **** in another thread!;)

250r4life
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
we will call a truce, but all of us will still hate you, we just wont fight over this anymore

ha ha ha... that is too funny...

man, ya'll are some serious people... relax, have a good time, we're talking about atvs... dont take stuff personal... lol- people are trippin....

man, hate is a serious word over a little messin around on the internte... but i dont take it personal... you could say you wished i would die, and i would seriously start laughing... i'd think it was great...

QuadJunkies
05-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
Surely, you two can find something better to do then pick on two kids for improper grammar. It is a bit of a reach.

Really, it is quite pathetic. Thought the Raptor owners were a little more crafty....guess I was wrong. Way to set a good example.

OH!, by the way Blue_Streak23, it's GRAMMAR. Not, GRAMMER. Perhaps, you need to start by getting your GED, work at McDonalds for a few years, and pay for an college education!:rolleyes:

I couldnt have said it better myself ... :huh :o

I think my Kids would show more respect posting on the forum lately than most of the adults !!:grr: :rolleyes: