PDA

View Full Version : Who owns a Winchester 1300 defender?

NorCalRacer
04-22-2006, 09:59 AM
This thread is off the topic of gas burning toys but I noticed there are some gun fans here so here is something disturbing I have found. Winchester has made hundreds, if not thousands of defective defender barrels and sold them to the public. If you have a defender, check the inside of the barrel where all the lettering is roll stamped on. You are likely to find a washboard effect where the die pressed too deep and had nothing inside the barrel to support it from behind. This washboard does not ruin the gun, it is still usable but your spread pattern will suffer and it will greatly increase recoil from slugs. I got 4 barrels from winchester, ALL defective, and finally bought a used barrel off of ebay. All the other winchester barrels seem fine, I have only noticed this problem with the defender barrel. The defender shotgun can take different style barrels frrom winchester with a few mods and that is what I have resorted too (I got a smoothbore slug barrel) but my little barrel is still defective. I hope this problem is unique to the west coast but if it isn't winchester needs to step up. They have discontinued this shotgun entirely as of two months ago and I suspect the barrels were a good part of it.
Check your shotguns, If they are defective contact winchester. If they get enough negative feedback maybe they will produce a line of non-defective barrels and send them out.
Hope this helps somebody