PDA

View Full Version : how to bleed the rear brake?

4wheeldude
08-02-2002, 09:45 PM
Ok, I am trying to get the piston on the rear caliper to work. Obviously the line has air in it. I put honda brake fluid in the brake fluid container, and I filled it up about half way (between "lower" and "higher" marks). I am going to install my blockoff tomorrow which may solve my problem with this delema. When I take off the bleader cap and I start pumping the brake pedal, the fluid never goes down. Could it maybe be clogged? Should I pour in fluid through the hole that goes behind the piston? I need to get the fluid flowing good and get all the air out. Can you unscrew the bleeder or something (someone said you unscrew the bleeder?). Please, tell me some tips or something. Thanks. :)

Castor-426ex
08-03-2002, 08:05 AM
go to the faq i think theres a whole topic like this

TheX1992
08-03-2002, 04:25 PM
ok try this to make sure your doing it right. it takes 2 people and the "down, up" codes. get the right size wrench (8mm or 10mm i believe) and put it on the bleeder bolt. say "down" and the other guy presses on the pedal all the way. at this time turn the bleeder bolt counter clockwise a little bit so you can hear air/ see fluid come out. turn right BEFORE you say "up" and he will let up on the pedal. repeat until you see alot of fluid come out. it may take a while.

is this what you were doing already?

4wheeldude
08-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Well, yea I was doing that before. I am starting to bleed it better now. I also installed a blockoff. The only thing I am having a problem with is that the bleeder cap pops off when I press down on the pedal. I can feel the brake working a little when I hold the cap down. Are you supposed to leave fluid in the fluid reservior, if so, do you fill it half way or what? Do you leave the cap of the reservior on while you bleed the brakes? This is getting very frustrating. Thanks for your help.

TheX1992
08-03-2002, 05:58 PM
umm.......everythign has to be air tight when you bleed. i dont know why the cap coems offf though ...