PDA

View Full Version : cannondale 440

dunny_mark
04-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I have a chance to buy a 2003 cannondale 440 today for $2500! It has hmf pipe,hot cams,k&n,4-sets of plastics, and I'm not sure if it has the updates or not. Need some advice if this sounds like a good deal--the kid said it runs great and I'm going to take it for a ride later today. Oh! he said he just redid the wiring on it too.

rollie
04-22-2006, 08:24 AM
If it has the updates go for it! since its an 03 once you get it i would get a falcon crank because when they started to go bankrupt they treied to cut costs in 03 by using a different crank, and they had issues

dunny_mark
04-22-2006, 08:26 AM
What would you say the crank and all the updates would cost? Roughly?

dunny_mark
04-22-2006, 09:03 AM
bump!

NorCalRacer
04-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Check out cannondalers and cannondaleriders. Both sites should give you a good idea of what to expect from a cannondale, besides unreal speed:D
I have one and love it, working on it right now..

C41Xracer
04-22-2006, 09:22 AM
hot cams never made cams for a Dale

shano
04-22-2006, 09:30 AM
I'd do it, I love mine to death, aslong as you do maintenance and take care of it, it will love you back. Look into Blackwidowatv.com and he could take care of you for anything you need.:)

dunny_mark
04-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the info.! It's been helpfull.

Ralph
04-22-2006, 09:49 AM
The wiring issue sounds weird, ask him why he did it and make sure he didn't do it himself and if he did make sure its not rigged. With all those electrical components on the cdales i would be cautious about someone working on the wiring.

Also really inspect the thing engine wise when u ride it.

dunny_mark
04-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think he said it was some kind of pro-wiring kit-he had a local shop do it that works on -dales. It can be hooked up to a lap top to be programed. He also was saying that the computer ran all the time in the quad, which in turn makes the battery die after a week or so of not starting it. Any comments on that-is it normal/?

Ralph
04-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by dunny_mark
I'm not 100% sure, but I think he said it was some kind of pro-wiring kit-he had a local shop do it that works on -dales. It can be hooked up to a lap top to be programed. He also was saying that the computer ran all the time in the quad, which in turn makes the battery die after a week or so of not starting it. Any comments on that-is it normal/?

I'm not sure but as long as it was some kind of wiring kit made for it and put on right it shouldn't be a problem.

Also make sure the battery isn't shot now because of being drained so much and recharged. I know that the cdale's need a very good battery that's always got full power because of the computer to get it started. Once the battery is low it has trouble starting because it cant power everything it needs to.

CannondaleRider
04-22-2006, 12:01 PM
What he is probably refering to, is that he put it on a D&M Kit (Diagnostics and Maintanance Kit). That is the computer program, and cable, used for diagnosing faults in the electrical system, along with remapping it. If it has the HMF pipe, he probably took it to have it remapped.

As for putting a Falicon in it....good luck with that. They are an awsome crank, they're a 2.4mm(I believe) stroker crank, that is balanced to the highest specs. Add that to a 450 piston, and maybe some porting, and Cannondales will flat rip. I have one in my FX, and the front end comes up everywhere. BUT, the chances of getting a Falicon in a timely manner are slim, they work very slow. Plus, they're expensive. I paid $750 for mine, but they are about $950 now.

You would probably be better off getting a crank from Brad Oakley at BlackwidowATV, he sells balanced and trued, stock stroke, Z400 bearing cranks, for $385.

About the computer running all the time, its probably the fuel pump running all the time. It called Fuel Pump Run On. Caused by the negative terminal connection on the pump, grounding itself to the fuel pump body, and causing it to run. Another easy update. a little adjustment, and some heat shrink and a rubber boot, and its good to go. But there is a slight chance of it frying the ECU if its not fixed quickly.

Look into these sites for information and any help you may need. You'll get a lot more help from more knowledgable people on these
CannondaleRiders Forum (http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/index.php)
Cannondaler Forum (http://forums.cannondaler.com/index.php)
Now for parts
BlackwidowATV (http://www.blackwidowatv.com/)

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions

Ralph
04-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
About the computer running all the time, its probably the fuel pump running all the time. It called Fuel Pump Run On. Caused by the negative terminal connection on the pump, grounding itself to the fuel pump body, and causing it to run. Another easy update. a little adjustment, and some heat shrink and a rubber boot, and its good to go. But there is a slight chance of it frying the ECU if its not fixed quickly.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions

I was waiting for a pro to come in here and help this kid out cause I'm having a hard time trying to remember stuff about the cdales.

I'm interested in knowing if anything was not right that i posted in this thread??

CannondaleRider
04-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
I'm interested in knowing if anything was not right that i posted in this thread??

Everything seems good.

The battery thing may be a little off. It's not really an issue with the battery powering everything, its just that the Cannondales idle so high(2200rpms), that the starter has to have a lot of power being fed to it to get the motor started. Plus, the batteries we are forced to use, have never been that great. The YUASA YTX12A-BS battery is the best, stock is the YTX9A-BS...and they wear down quick.

Many people install a second battery, but that is mainly the XC racers that deal with dead engine starts.

Ralph
04-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Everything seems good.

The battery thing may be a little off. It's not really an issue with the battery powering everything, its just that the Cannondales idle so high(2200rpms), that the starter has to have a lot of power being fed to it to get the motor started. Plus, the batteries we are forced to use, have never been that great. The YUASA YTX12A-BS battery is the best, stock is the YTX9A-BS...and they wear down quick.

Many people install a second battery, but that is mainly the XC racers that deal with dead engine starts.

good to know, i was afraid of being wrong and having someone ready to rip my head off!:blah:

dunny_mark
04-22-2006, 12:51 PM
The kid said it was stroked and I'm guesing they had to change cranks and bearings while this was done, any way I can tell if it has a aftermarket crank. Will it not vibrate as much?>

CannondaleRider
04-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, thats a great thing.

If hes being perfectly honest about it being stroked, then its either a stock crank that has been stroked, meaning it(most likely) has the Z400 bearing, or its a Falicon.

Either way, that would be a very good thing.

Not sure of a way you could tell if its stroked, unless you've been riding Cannondales for a while, and have a good idea of power and feel of a stock stroke motor.

dunny_mark
04-22-2006, 01:11 PM
thanks for all the replies, I think I'm going to take a chance and go with it. Of coarse if it runs all right!

Toadz400
04-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I'd go for it. That seems like a good deal on a newer Cannondale and the updates don't cost that much, I believe on the ATK website it's $1500 for everything? But that includes the crank also, so if you already have that done it should be cheaper.

FourFiftyFour
04-24-2006, 07:33 AM
of course all us cannondale people are biased :D good luck with it though. When you get them running right you are in for a ride

CannondaleRider
04-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I'd go for it. That seems like a good deal on a newer Cannondale and the updates don't cost that much, I believe on the ATK website it's $1500 for everything? But that includes the crank also, so if you already have that done it should be cheaper.

I wouldn't recommend ATK, they arn't doing ****, Frank is quite lazy...

You would be much better off going with BlackwidowATV. Cord, their main builder, is ATK's former builder, and has build over 250 motors. He knows his stuff.

Plus, the Blackwidow crew is just a much better group to deal with, they take care of you in ANY way possible. They go out of there way to make things right...ATK doesn't

FourFiftyFour
04-24-2006, 11:48 AM

You would be much better off going with BlackwidowATV. Cord, their main builder, is ATK's former builder, and has build over 250 motors. He knows his stuff.

Plus, the Blackwidow crew is just a much better group to deal with, they take care of you in ANY way possible. They go out of there way to make things right...ATK doesn't

The guys at Black Widow are a class act. Cant deal with nicer and more honest people than them! They wont rip you off either, you can really trust them.

Toadz400
04-24-2006, 10:11 PM

Oh okay, I had no idea about ATK being like that. I was just referring to the pricing of how much the upgrades would cost. That sucks that ATK can't get their crap together (read your post in my thread about the trade). I would still love to own a Cannondale...