PDA

View Full Version : CVT spring replacement

trx250r86
04-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I am in the process of replacing the springs in the trans on my sons AC 50.. I have the driven clutch assembly off, and need to change the large spring and the smaller springs.. I cant seem to hold it and use my large adjustables to get the nut off, and hold the assembly so I assume i will need to use my impact to spin it off, Anyone know the size of the large nut on these? I will have to buy one cause I only have as large as a 1-1/4" and a 25mm.. and both are way to small.. and other tips for changing these? Thanks

markvette
04-21-2006, 09:30 PM
best way to do it is this put the nut in a vise, use a large pair of channel locks that will fit around the pulley to turn the pulley. once you break it loose turn it with your hand slowly as it will spring off when you get to the end of the threads. also on the small clutch springs best way to take off and install new ones is to use a scratch awl. once the old ones are off put one end of the spring in a hole, put the scratch awl through the other end and into the hole, lean the awl forward and the spring will slide down the awl and snap in the hole. this is the easiest way for both jobs, i have probably done over100 of them.

Mark

mcatvme
04-22-2006, 06:27 AM
The best way is to us a impact gun with a 1 5/8" or 1 1/2" socket to get the big nut off and on. For the small springs just us a exhaust spring puller. I us FMF puller and it works GREAT. I also whiched out the main big nut from a 1 5/8" to the 1 1/2" from Xtreme. The smaller nut uses a socket thats on a 1/2" drive the other nut 1 5/8" is on a 3/4" drive. I have changed more then i care to every change again and this has always worked and can be done in less then a few minutes. Any question just shot me a pm and ill help you out.

trx250r86
04-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mcatvme
The best way is to us a impact gun with a 1 5/8" or 1 1/2" socket to get the big nut off and on. For the small springs just us a exhaust spring puller. I us FMF puller and it works GREAT. I also whiched out the main big nut from a 1 5/8" to the 1 1/2" from Xtreme. The smaller nut uses a socket thats on a 1/2" drive the other nut 1 5/8" is on a 3/4" drive. I have changed more then i care to every change again and this has always worked and can be done in less then a few minutes. Any question just shot me a pm and ill help you out.

worked perfect! the main nut on mine was already an 1-1/2" so i was lucky and dint have to but a 3/4 to 1/2" drive adapter just for one socket.. the smaller springs took awhile to get on but finally got it done.. Thanks!

Livin4Real
04-24-2006, 10:31 PM
I finally broke down and bought the sockets this past weekend myself after too many times of the vise method. Our local Rural King carries a new socket set for John Deere's new line of tractors (even JD has switched to metric, lol) It has everything from the 22mm needed for the hub nuts to the 38 and 41mm sockets needed for the clutch assemblies and it was only $40, worth it if you ask me.

BradLoomis
04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I just bought a cheap strap wrench and use a vise .
http://www.arizonatools.com/img/products/H/HIT02-BW3.JPG
It's amazing how many times I have used it for other projects... and according to the pictures I could use it on a urinal... if I had one... or even wanted one in my house... but I would at least have the right tool to fix it. 1001 uses and counting.

bigdaddy
04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
You have a urinal in your house? lol:D Where did you find it at . I could use a tool like that sometimes

BradLoomis
04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by bigdaddy
Where did you find it at . I could use a tool like that sometimes

The urinal or the strap wrench?:huh :D Just about any Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc will have one. Just go in and ask because they are usually in the plumbing area.