PDA

View Full Version : how do i know for sure

scanz2k z400
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
my quad is eating up coolant. most people seem the think that it is the head gasket. there are no apparent leaks on the outside. it leaves a puff of smoke when you first start it and then its fine. it also needs a cam chain and a tenshioner. its not too bad yet but it will need it. so if i change all of these things, does anyone know if there is anything else that should be changed with them. like gaskets and what not. and also, how hard is this stuff to change. dont feel like waiting months at a repair shop. thanx guys (and gals).

yellowzo3
04-21-2006, 04:21 PM
while your in the engine you should also check your valves...if theyre out of adjustment youll probably need some valve shims. Theyre not hard to put in but just make sure you mark where your cams are before you take them out...hope that helps a little. Also your going to have to take your gas tank off to do everything but thats not really a big deal.

scanz2k z400
04-21-2006, 05:14 PM
thanx man, i just had the valves adjusted hoping that, that was the rattling noise but it is the cam chain. so at least that is done. thanx for the reply