PDA

View Full Version : another weekend and another crash

Nausty
10-06-2001, 08:11 AM
Wasn't me this time, my dad was riding the blaster up this off cambered hill and he didn't see a rutt next to it and when his front left tire hit it he rolled the blaster side ways 2 times. He almost landed on his feet. But actually it was kinda cool because it bent the handlebars into place from the last time he rode and crashed it. He says its because the blaster isn't good enough for him but he only has a couple of hours on it within just this year. He has rolled it 3 or 4 times and I have rolled it once and it couldn't be saved I even stayed on in tell I was positive I could never save it and jumped over the bars cuz it was rolling front words. I just wish my dad would try to learn the basics before going to the 400ex if he is going to do all this big stuff. Cuz I can tell when he rides he don't know what he is doing or how to save it if something starts to happen.

I rode the 400ex last night and now I can ride it for a block and I can almost pull in the clutch and shift it into second while riding a wheelie but I can't do it yet.

Nausty
10-06-2001, 09:36 AM
update: My dad is working on the 400ex right now he is making some aluminum skid plates out of some metal and he is going to grind over it so it looks like it has some of the crome swirls I will take some pics of it when it is done. Plus we are going to order some black shockwears this week and we are going to take off the heat guard on the pipe.

coryatver
10-06-2001, 09:51 AM
Your dad must be talented being able to make aluminum skids out of metal!

Nausty
10-06-2001, 10:01 AM
lol oops I didn't mean it like that, its aluminum. Here is a pic of my dad working on it, he is going to take a grinder to it so it is all swirly, I'll get a pic of it after its done. But I usually refer to aluminum, stainless steel or anything like that metal.

Nausty
10-06-2001, 10:14 AM
forgot to attach it on the last one and it won't let me edit and attach it.

10-06-2001, 12:18 PM
Hey nausty,
I would leave that heat guard on your pipe, if you don't plan on it already.
That header pipe will burn your legs bad especially if you ride with shorts!
I want to see those skid pics when their done.
John

10-06-2001, 12:46 PM
if u dont like your sheild just buy a wb pro meg complete system. they dont give u the option of using a heat shield which is something i dont understand. it gets extremely hot. it needs a shield

Nausty
10-06-2001, 02:13 PM
my dad is almost done right now. I ALWAYS wear boots and it will have to go through my boots, kevlar pants, and my socks. Plus its starting to get cold out 45 degrees for a high today actually so the heat won't bother me.

trueblue450
10-06-2001, 02:50 PM
just wondering,

unless you have a digital camera, or an unlimited supply of film, why would you take a pic of your dad cutting out your skids?? Maybe its a loving family.

yeah :p :p

Nausty
10-06-2001, 03:03 PM
we have a digital camera and I was bored watching my dad work.
But here is what it looks like in the end. You can't see the swirls or anything but it looks like it has been grinded on with a grinder (duh)

10-06-2001, 06:28 PM
Nausty,
Pops did a sweet job! He want to make and sell me one of those.
I wish I had a digital camera.
John

Nausty
10-06-2001, 06:36 PM
you should of seen the wheelie bar he did for my blaster after it got bent. He made it into a desert grab bar and it is like 10 times stronger than the last. He is going to make some a-arm guards and a swing arm if he has enough time. I guess we arn't taking the heat guard off but I don't know if I have enough money for shockwears yet.

Nausty
10-06-2001, 10:16 PM
I got my dad to take a few pics of me riding wheelies ;)

RideRed04
10-06-2001, 10:43 PM
sence when has aluminum not been a metal? They must be teaching different in the middle schools now. Nausty, no flame intended, but you really need to start using the edit button. Nobody really cares how many posts you have.

Nausty
10-06-2001, 10:44 PM
My dad and I were thinking about riviting some metal to the lip on the front of the 400ex plastic to keep from scratching up the fenders from pushing over brush and saplings ect. It seems like it would work pretty well and look good.

sence when has aluminum not been a metal? They must be teaching different in the middle schools now. Nausty, no flame intended, but you really need to start using the edit button. Nobody really cares how many posts you have.

Look at the times inbetween the posts its not like I type one paragraph and start after a new post. Plus sometimes I forget to add the pic when i'm typing something and when you go in to add it it won't let you. and if I were going for post # all those posts would be 2 words.

4punksdad
10-07-2001, 04:44 PM
nausty..........good looking skid plate.................by the way, don't use the clutch when shifting during a wheelie :)

Tommy 17
10-07-2001, 05:39 PM
When i ride a wheelie i just pop it up in 1st gear and just go slowly like its boggin out almost and just keep putting the gas on and off. sometimes i will just pop it up in 1st hold it wide opend and hit up on the shifter till i am in 5th gear. i never used the clutch in a wheelie does this hurt my clutches bad...

Nausty
10-08-2001, 09:41 AM
i'm affraid it will screw it up and I didn't pay for it so I don't want to trash it though. I will just make sure I am well balenced and pull in the clutch and shift quick.

4punksdad
10-08-2001, 06:35 PM
shifting without the clutch does not hurt these bikes...........as long as you time it right & it shifts smoothly...........practice while riding on flat ground, then use it during a wheelie. make sure you let off the fuel for a brief second while shifting, just as if you were using a clutch.

Nausty
10-08-2001, 06:42 PM
I might try it but it seems easier when I pull in the clutch because when you let off the throttle in gear the engine compression slows it down and brings the front wheel down and I always ride with two fingers on the clutch anyways. I'm gonna get my dad to shorten it a bit also.

Rode again today, we have this about a 2 foot jump and it is like 60 degrees and when I preload the suspension on the ex and hit it in 2nd gear almost pinned I can jump about 18-20 feet in the flats. I was jumping it for a hour or so trying to find the best way to land. Is all you got to do is land on you back first with the front about 5 or 6 inches higher and try to have your weight over the rear shock. Then right as you land give it a chunk of throttle and you won't feel a thing from jumping 6-8 feet high.

TRX_Thumper
10-10-2001, 06:49 PM
I always use my clutch with 2 fingers also. I just took a hacksaw and shortened it a little. I made my skidplates out of old road signs. They work OK.

Nausty
10-10-2001, 07:12 PM
The skid plates my dad made seem to work great except for the fact that it is really rough and is starting to get a grass stain. My dad will just grind over it again if it gets really bad or doesn't wash out though.

RideRed04
10-10-2001, 08:46 PM
Boy, you'sa too heavy if you'sa gettin dem grass stains on da bott'n o dat there quad of yers! You'sa needs to lose soma weight!:D

trx400ex
10-10-2001, 08:57 PM
that looks awesome nausty, i still cant ride wheelies out of 3rd, but i rarely try, it fun at first

Nausty
10-10-2001, 10:45 PM
I think the grass stains if thats what they are, are from pushing down brush and climping a hill that has rutts to your rear skid.

trx400ex
10-11-2001, 09:15 AM
nausty, how much did it cost to make these, i bet you could sell them and make some money, that looks like a nice skid to me, i bet alot of ppl would buy em

TRX_Thumper
10-11-2001, 02:17 PM
Guys I find it hard to believe you can't ride wheelies out of 3rd on your 400ex. I can ride 5th gear wheelies on my stock 300ex. When I go from 4th to 5th all i do is tug on the bars and then its up and i just find the balance point.

trx400ex
10-11-2001, 03:02 PM
i just dont try, its not as fun as riding with 4 wheels on the ground, didnt you read the manual,DO NOT ATTEMPT WHEELIES, JUMPS, OR OTHER STUNTS ON THIS ATV

TRX_Thumper
10-11-2001, 03:33 PM
Kid how old are you? If I did everything by what that manual says I wouldn't be riding quads.If your not suppose to jump then why are you getting new aftermarket shocks? Huh?

Tommy 17
10-11-2001, 04:00 PM
thumper i think he was jokin around tryin to have fun

trx400ex
10-11-2001, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by TRX_Thumper
Kid how old are you? If I did everything by what that manual says I wouldn't be riding quads.If your not suppose to jump then why are you getting new aftermarket shocks? Huh?

omg, yo i was joking around, chill out,peace

i really need a new pic of me jumpin

trx400ex
10-11-2001, 05:57 PM
ATTENTION POST HUNTERS, I AM PLACING ANOTHER POST BECAUSE YOU CANT HAVE 2 PICS IN ONE POST...thank you, heres a pic of me jumping my cr250 at the badlands, or was that my 500?:huh :huh ..see i can jump good

edit...forgot to post the pic, but im not going to make another post tryin to later..edit

Lil90man!!
10-11-2001, 07:39 PM
haha while i am think'n about it, and your all talk'n about wheelies, i saw somewhere the top ten list of atv's that were the best wheelie'ers(can't rememeber where it was) but they forgot the best one!!! the little 90 will rank right up there with the ex'es that is about the only thing i do on my 90!,riding around the yard pinned in 4th!! haha just had to say that cas it is just so much fun!!!!

trx400ex
10-11-2001, 10:50 PM
the list it close to this

1400ex
2300ex
3blaster
4mohave????
5recon
6???
7???
8banshee
9warrior
10????

now the raptor would be 1 but this was published before

4punksdad
10-12-2001, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
the list it close to this

1400ex
2300ex
3blaster
4mohave????
5recon
6???
7???
8banshee
9warrior
10????

now the raptor would be 1 but this was published before

i am not sure where you got that list.............but I can assure you the kawasaki mojave is not the 4th best wheelie bike, nor has it ever been................and the recon????? please help me understand. is a wheelie when ALL 4 wheels stay on the ground? :o

10-12-2001, 11:48 AM
I know what list you are talking about and it is from www.Dirtwheelsmag.com
and here it is DIRT WHEELS TOP 10 WHEELIE QUADS
1. Honda FourTrax 400EX
2. Honda FourTrax 300EX
3. Yamaha Blaster 200
4. Kawasaki Mojave 250
5. Honda Recon 250
6. Suzuki QuadSport LT80
7. Yamaha Banshee 350
8. Yamaha Warrior 350
9. Kawasaki Lakota 300
10. Kawasaki Bayou 220

I'm not shure about the recon being their, but The Raptor would not be number 1! I will tell you that for shure the 400 wheelies alot better the Raptor. The 400 is and always will be the wheelie KING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JabberJaw
10-12-2001, 04:02 PM
I hate to break your pimple... But.. I am the "Willy" King..

You know how I know this? Last time I was getting my birthday-suit dry cleaned, the woman behind the counter couldnt stop staring...she couldnt take her eyes off me all the way up until the officers showed up....

RideRed04
10-12-2001, 04:48 PM
Jabber jaw... nice! that is high quality

4punksdad
10-12-2001, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by ATVRidah
I know what list you are talking about and it is from www.Dirtwheelsmag.com
and here it is DIRT WHEELS TOP 10 WHEELIE QUADS
1. Honda FourTrax 400EX
2. Honda FourTrax 300EX
3. Yamaha Blaster 200
4. Kawasaki Mojave 250
5. Honda Recon 250
6. Suzuki QuadSport LT80
7. Yamaha Banshee 350
8. Yamaha Warrior 350
9. Kawasaki Lakota 300
10. Kawasaki Bayou 220

I'm not shure about the recon being their, but The Raptor would not be number 1! I will tell you that for shure the 400 wheelies alot better the Raptor. The 400 is and always will be the wheelie KING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with 3 things on this list..............the 400ex is the best, the 300EX is second best, and the quadsport 80 is better than the bayou, lakota,& warrior. the rest is bogus.

Nausty
10-12-2001, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
nausty, how much did it cost to make these, i bet you could sell them and make some money, that looks like a nice skid to me, i bet alot of ppl would buy em

My dad could do that with a lot of stuff but he just doesn't have hardly any time. He stays at a hotel and works non stop all week then he gets home on friday night, helps me mow the yard and stuff like that and if we have enough time on weekends he might take me out to ride.

bsr
10-13-2001, 01:44 AM
Nausty, Damn your dad is the **** ..lol.. they look like store bought skids. Get him to make me some skids ( jk :) ) You guys should sell the bikes and get another 400ex, then you'll both have a cool ride.

Nausty
10-13-2001, 10:49 AM
hehe my dad does nothing but tinker with the 400ex he is almost done making the a arm gaurds and we just made some fender guards and put some stickers on. :D I'm liking this.

Nausty
10-13-2001, 11:09 AM
I just got some pics of my helmet and my 400ex now with the fender guards. The reason my dad made them was so that when you are pushing down brush and stuff it doesn't mar up the plastic. The stuff looks a lot better than in the picture though.

trx400ex
10-13-2001, 11:57 AM
hey 3 punksdad,,,,,THE RECON CAN WHEELY BETTER THAN A WARRIOR OR I THINK A BLASTER, YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO GET IT UP, I KNOW, I USED TO HAVE ONE...I COULD RIDE THEM STRAIGHT UP ALL DAY,,, DONT KNOW ABOUT THE MOHAVE,, I DIDNT MAKE IT UP

Nausty
10-13-2001, 12:08 PM
heck I seen on a site where people would ride wheelies in reverse on the front tire.

Tommy 17
10-13-2001, 03:29 PM
those things look pretty cool. i like that alot. how did he make them. nausty what years that mustang sitting behind ur 400 i can see the tail lights. man i wish i had a mustang fastback. nausty since u have all that chrome i rec this to u take off ur warning lables and put on chrome plates mine are one the way. they look nice. u buy these little bolts wit allen heads on them best mod ever for looks i think that u can custom make.

RideRed04
10-13-2001, 04:43 PM
Nausty, the 400ex doesnt have reverse! lol, :D! I love endos, but they are hard to do on the trail, the tires just skid. I think the 400 is the best donut macine ever, just get over the gas tank, and let 'er rip! You can do donuts forever, and then when you come out of it, do a nice wheelie, it is sweet!

Nausty
10-13-2001, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
those things look pretty cool. i like that alot. how did he make them. nausty what years that mustang sitting behind ur 400 i can see the tail lights. man i wish i had a mustang fastback. nausty since u have all that chrome i rec this to u take off ur warning lables and put on chrome plates mine are one the way. they look nice. u buy these little bolts wit allen heads on them best mod ever for looks i think that u can custom make.

I think it was some kinda molding for a car or something I'm not sure, my dadis done with the a-arm guards can you guess what he is doing now? omg I'm loving this now is making a really shiny battery box out of metal I'm not sure what kind of metal he is using though. Plus my dad is going to order some black shockwears this week.

And the car it is a 66 mustang FOR SALE it was my grandpa's and it has vinal interior and it looks like new sept for the MOFO WHO KEYED IT RIGHT AFTER A NEW PAINT JOB. It has some where around 100,000 miles but you can still smell the interior and it isn't faded. I think it is a four or 6 cylinder i'm not sure. My dad is going to do something with the labels but it might be a few weeks if we do.

Nausty
10-13-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04
Nausty, the 400ex doesnt have reverse! lol, :D! I love endos, but they are hard to do on the trail, the tires just skid. I think the 400 is the best donut macine ever, just get over the gas tank, and let 'er rip! You can do donuts forever, and then when you come out of it, do a nice wheelie, it is sweet!

It wasn't a 400ex it was a recon. The endos I can do all the time on the blaster that is sitting on the handle bars or on the seat. I remember the first time i did a real endo on my blaster. OH CRAP I was so close to flipping it and I panicked instead of jumping over the handlebars. I don't know if i can still do endos on my dirt bikes I never really have a chance to ride them anymore I know I used to before i crashed into the house and got injured.