PDA

View Full Version : E-start bad or good???

JIMTED79
04-21-2006, 12:03 PM
I know you XC guys dont care for the E-start but what about the trail and dune riders?

angry450r
04-21-2006, 12:27 PM
I like it ! starts isnatanly no problems you ll here guys that complain about them some say the starters ore going bad personally guys are ging through starters because the cant ride and keep killing them at low rpms cause they do stalll easy saw my buddy kill hids all day throught the trails had to sart a million times in one riding session and when it needs a starter hes gonna complain like the rest.either way its sweet to me!

BLEEDRED
04-21-2006, 12:27 PM
With the idol turned up, mine has been starting really easy.

04-21-2006, 12:29 PM
what he said^^^^ and keep your thumb away from that throttle...

CHEVYZ
04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
No problems here.

2MuchChi450R
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Trails, dunes, XC; it's probably a better all around bet.

Stay away from your throttle when starting though or you'll fry the starter clutch! :eek2: (2 have come in with that problem!)

450r51
04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
cant go wrong with the kicker. less problems can happen if u get a kicker over the button. i know for me i will always own a kicker.

GIXXER1KR
04-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Love it,,,,wouldnt trade it for the world!

400excracer
04-21-2006, 07:39 PM
I wouldnt trade my estart for a kicker. Granted it doesnt fire as fast as my 400EX, but if the extra second it takes to start costs you a race, you must not be very good. I would rather take an extra second to start than be one of the guys with a kicker that I see at every XC race kicking their quad while everyone else is rounding turn one. They may start faster most of the time but what if you kill it on an off camber hill after about an hour and a half. I would rather conserve my energy for the race not the restart. I know I shouldnt kill the motor, but most of us weekenders do a few times during the race.

bwilson624
04-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Love mine, but everyone is right. Don't even breathe on the throttle while starting. And turning the idle up really helps.

compedge
04-22-2006, 12:59 AM
what if you go for a ride alone and your battery dies. It stalls in a mud hole. Now what? I'll kick mine once, and off I go.

wckedclownz69
04-22-2006, 05:53 AM
haha yeah... i had so many problems with my raptor and its starter and stuff... im so o glad i got a kick... like he said 1 kick and hes gone... if u r strong its not tht hard to kick IMO... mine starts up 1 kick everyday

400excracer
04-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by compedge
what if you go for a ride alone and your battery dies. It stalls in a mud hole. Now what? I'll kick mine once, and off I go. If this was such a big problem, why is that every street bike comes with estart. Your battery wont die if you know how to start it and maintain it. I'll admit that it would be nice to have a kicker for backup. Frankly, I am surprised that hoda even offers a kicker version. No one else does.

khen
04-22-2006, 06:46 AM
I'll take a Kicker over an E-Start anyday.. I ride the Dunes a lot and race local MX races and trail ride now and then. I've got mine figured out so it start's first kick 99 percent of the time whether it's hot or cold.

I maintain 5 quads for my family so I appreciate the simplicity of the kick starter.

JR3
04-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by khen
I'll take a Kicker over an E-Start anyday.. I ride the Dunes a lot and race local MX races and trail ride now and then. I've got mine figured out so it start's first kick 99 percent of the time whether it's hot or cold.

I maintain 5 quads for my family so I appreciate the simplicity of the kick starter.

Im suprised yamaha didint have the yfz come with a kick starter being a race quad off the show room floor. And yea i love how theres no electrical to worry about. only takes me 1-2 kicks. also not having a battery etc helps save weight for mx.

4ABURN
04-22-2006, 07:08 AM
I have stalled mine on a steep hill in the woods and thank god it was e start. (hard to hold the back brake and kick it at the same time.) No trouble here love mine. Good for taking my little boy for a ride also,don't have to lift him off if we stop some were for a second..my 2 cents.:D

400ex45
04-22-2006, 07:22 AM
if someone says that they like kick starter better because of weight issue then you shouldnt even be working on it because you should be pro. i that much weight was and issue the go on a diet and drop 5 pounds

roundsy
04-22-2006, 07:42 AM
no problems so far, i dont touch the throttle and i didnt even turn up my idle, but i think my dealer did

bwilson624
04-22-2006, 09:00 AM
if someone says that they like kick starter better because of weight issue then you shouldnt even be working on it because you should be pro. i that much weight was and issue the go on a diet and drop 5 pounds

I agree. Before I bought mine I really looked into both these quads. The weight difference is only six pounds. And like someone else said, if you know how to maintain it, then the battery won't die. If you hold the start button all day then of course it will die. Just like any other e start in anything. Love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything. And the GYT-R YFZ has the kickstart option in 2006