PDA

View Full Version : 2005 400ex will not start

ktxl
04-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Working on my friends 2005 400,drove it in garage ran fine,came out next day will not start.Turns over good,back fires through exhaust and sometimes carb.Tested all wiring,switches,switched to new battery, tested external coil (tested good) replaced plug cap,sparkplug -tested stator all readings are good.pulled flywheel checked for sheared key,also cleaned carb,no problems there. Pulled valve cover and inspected timing marks.Marks are good according to service manual.Pulled cam out and noticed plunger and spring is missing from under decompressor.Has anybody else ever had these just disappear and machine will not start ?

JOEX
04-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by ktxl
Working on my friends 2005 400,drove it in garage ran fine,came out next day will not start.Turns over good,back fires through exhaust and sometimes carb.Tested all wiring,switches,switched to new battery, tested external coil (tested good) replaced plug cap,sparkplug -tested stator all readings are good.pulled flywheel checked for sheared key,also cleaned carb,no problems there. Pulled valve cover and inspected timing marks.Marks are good according to service manual.Pulled cam out and noticed plunger and spring is missing from under decompressor.Has anybody else ever had these just disappear and machine will not start ?
Never heard of them just disappearing but the motor will not run with out them if the stock cam is being used.

Pull off the right side cover and see if they or parts of them are down there:ermm:

ktxl
04-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I have taken off rh side cover,took clutch apart,went all the way down to the cam sprocket,no sign of it.Thanks for the reply.I have parts ordered ,will post results when i get it back together.

ktxl
05-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I got the parts and installed them.Fired up no problem.Found out the kid had it at Honda dealer and he said they had looked at it but wanted an unusually high amount of money to repair it.I am guessing they probably have some spare parts in their shop.