PDA

View Full Version : just bought an 87 250r :)

kiesta00
04-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey all, I picked up this 250r for $2200 last saturday. It needs a little work but not too much.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/kiesta00/100_0196.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/kiesta00/100_0198.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/kiesta00/250r1.jpg

I've got a few questions...the previous owner says he runs 50/50 mix of C12 and 93...i did a compression check and its 210psi...should I still mix the gas or run straight C12 ? Also the radiator was very low on coolant so I added some water before I rode it sunday. After about 3 hours of riding sunday I noticed the water level was about halfway down again in the radiator. It also doesnt have a resevoir tank in the back...just a small hose with a screw plugging the tube up...I also noticed the radiator cap spits water a little after filling it up fully and a little coolent leaks from teh exhaust flange on the head, should I be wary of these problems with the coolant system? Sorry for so many questions, I just dont want the bike to grenade on me and not have anything to ride...

Thanks

Keith

TheFontMaster
04-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm not shure about your problem with the coolant. But your 250r is an 86 not an 87. I don't know if that was a typo, but just FYI.

matt250r21
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Thats an 86 frame you have there, I can tell by the front motor mounts. 210 is pretty high comp. Think of it this way, mixing race gas just dilutes its quality. I would either run straight race gas or lower the comp. of the engine. I have a feeling you might have a leaking water pump seal as well as some stock honda cylinder blues. The pressed in water fitting have been know to work lose and leak coolant. I would be worried about your coolant system if I were you, but they are not very hard or expensive to fix.

kiesta00
04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
What should I do to fix the coolant system and waterpump/head leaks? I don't know where to begin and dont wanna waste money on stuff that doesnt need to be fixed.

matt250r21
04-20-2006, 07:55 PM
On the right side engine cover (clutch cover) you will find a rad hose coming from the rad and one going from the cover to the top of the cylinder. This is the water pump look under the water pump cover and you will see a wep hole, if your mechanical seal is bad it will leak coolant out that hole. Your cylinder could also have a bad head gasket, start your bike up and locate the leaks. Then get yourself a factory service manual. Take your time, be gental with the parts and learn about your bike so that you can fix it.

440ex dragger
04-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Looks like a good buy for 2200. Change your headgasket first, after a while they start to leak, its probably just a seal if its coming out of the weep hole on the bottom right side of the motor. Probably has the CR headgasket on it, with the high compression.

beerock
04-21-2006, 07:57 PM
are you sure its COOLANT leaking by the exhaust flange and not oil coming out from the flange?

with 210 psi(check it to be sure) then run straight c12 or red either will be fine.

putting a bolt in the overflow hose will build up pressure and allow the cap to go over the caps psi and spit out like your saying.

take the bolt out and see if its any better, and keep your eye on the radiator fluid level.

if it still does it get a resivior tank i dont believe the stock radiators can work well without it but trying to keep cost down for ya.

try that first, before tearing the motor apart.

if you rode it and didnt have any problems besides leaking, FIND OUT WHERE ITS LEAKING before you start tearing apart the motor, thats just a waste of money.

kiesta00
04-23-2006, 10:10 PM
ok I got a new overflow hose and installed it...whenever I top off the radiator and give it some throttle, coolant spills out of the tube big time, i could feel it hitting my leg as i ran through the gears. If i plug the hose, the radiator cap spits water. There is definitely oil leaking out of the exhaust flange. I also notice when I run the engine for a while then shut it off, it sounds like something is sizzling inside my engine (like frying bacon lol) ... I guess i'll change my headgasket and see what that does for me. Thanks for the help

beerock
04-23-2006, 10:18 PM
if its not blowing alot of white smoke out the back you may just have a radiator cap that has no pressure and it leaks over very easy. you have to make sure its presurizing the system

you also need the coolant oveflow resivior to catch the overflow your getting.

check your plug for whiteness as well.

before you start tearing things apart

250r4life
04-23-2006, 11:18 PM
yep- i'd go ahead and order a new radiator cap, as well as the overflow bottle before you go jacking around with anything else...

kiesta00
04-23-2006, 11:19 PM
sure will..thanks

250r4life
04-23-2006, 11:20 PM
is it oil or coolant leaking out of the exhaust flange- youve said two different things...?

TheFontMaster
04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
For the overflow tank, go out and buy a new one off of a polaris predator. They are only 15 dollars new from polaris. The just bolt it to your radiator scoops and your good to go.

kiesta00
04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
well i finally got a new head gasket, now my compression is 160 psi...the radiator doesn't spit water out anymore now either. The bike runs better now, and I don't have to run race gas. i love my R now haha. just thought i'd keep u posted. :D