PDA

View Full Version : Break-in on new 400ex

TORO1968
08-02-2002, 03:44 PM
I was wondering how you guys broke-in your 400ex's...

Also, I know that the quad should be serviced after 10-15 hrs, but what all needs to be done at this time? Oil change, chain adjustment, valve adjustment, etc. ?? Should this be done by the dealership so that I don't void the warranty, and if so, how much does it usually cost??

I just want to make sure I break in my 400ex properly so I can get the most life out of it as possible.

Thanks,

Jordan

TravEX
08-02-2002, 04:36 PM
i kinda regret the way i've broken in mine,,,i bought it may 31 of this year,,,i rode it for about 3 miles then opened it up in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and have just rode the piss outta it ever since,,,i think that your supposed to drive it easy for the first 60-100 miles then change the oil, before you ride it hard,,,i have had 0 problems out of mine, and all my mods listed below were done within the first 10 days that i had it,,,later, Trav

Scott400EX
08-07-2002, 11:40 AM
The way i was told to break it in but the dealer was to run it at very low throttle for 20 min 3 times. then for the first 2 hrs run at no more than half throttle. and for the first 10 hrs not to go above 3/4 throttle. But i didnt do that i did the 3 20 min and about 5 or 6 hrs of riding it easy and then gave it ****! no problems!

400ex Magnum
08-08-2002, 04:07 PM
From what I have been told, here is the most important things to do during the first 10 hours. I followed them and haven't had any problems with the motor:

1. Avoid long periods of idling.

2. Avoid staying at a constant throttle position for a long period. Vary the throttle position.

3. Avoid high speed runs for long periods. It is not bad to rev the engine a little, just avoid it for a long period of time.

4. Avoid getting the engine too warm (goes along with the idling)

After that , you should change the oil and check the valve clearances. Checking chain tension and other checks should be made periodically also.

RED121572
08-23-2002, 09:19 AM
I pretty much rode mine. I didnt beat on it and i wasnt careful either....just rode it.

Its very important to have that first check up. With those brand new valve springs, they will get out of adjustment real quick. Change that oil as often as you can afford too. During the first oil change, look carefully at the filter....youll see the metal shavings from the initial break in.

For as long as you own that mighty 400...always keep on top of the valve adjustments. Mine are adjusted every 20 hours, sometimes more often.

Good luck hoss......let us know how that 400 treats ya!!

Almost forgot to mention, the dealer charged me 80 some bucks for the first check up. Yea, its a rip off. Take your quad to a privately owned motorcycle shop and tell em you want the oil changed, chain adjusted and valves checked. Now, your gonna be out 40-50 bucks instead of 80.;)

L.Vegas400
08-23-2002, 02:54 PM
why pay someone to do it when everything you need to know is on this site. extech top of the page. if that doesnt help ask someone here. that one of the reasons you talk on the forum.

yamaha1470
08-23-2002, 06:56 PM
dont pay someone to do an oil change or adjust the chain or clean the air filter or any of that. Only pay for the valve adjustment if u cant do it. The dealer charged me 90 for it.

RED121572
08-24-2002, 06:30 AM
90 bucks?? They bent you over the counter real good, huh.

The guy that does mine for me is a long time motorcycle mechanic. I roll my machine in his garage with the plastics, gas tank and heat shield removed. All he has to do is loosen the four caps on the valve cover and go to work. He charges me 10 bucks to adjust the valves.

Im sure its not the difficult, but Ive never gotten around to research on how to adjust the valves.:eek:

yamaha1470
08-24-2002, 06:39 AM
90 is a good deal around here. the other places wanted 130 and one place wanted 110. I know i got raped but whatever.