PDA

View Full Version : cam chain tensioner install ?

pmptrk
04-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Is there any special process needed to install the tensioner after removal? Does it just auto adjust or does it have to be set to some spec? Thanks.

RangerRick
04-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I am almost completley positive you just bolt it back on.Thats what I did to mine so I hope so.:D Mines been back together for months though now so I would say yes.

bmurray
04-20-2006, 07:02 PM
I believe you have to turn the adjustment and hold it until you put it back in. Email me at work tomorrow at bmurray@hydromat and I will email you a PDF from the manual on this procedure. good luck.

pmptrk
04-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by bmurray
I believe you have to turn the adjustment and hold it until you put it back in. Email me at work tomorrow at bmurray@hydromat and I will email you a PDF from the manual on this procedure. good luck.

thanks a lot for the the offer, but i have a manual. It is kind of confusing- they say to make some sort of key for it, and I just couldn't quite understand if that is necessary or if it adjusts on its own. The manual confused me more than anything on this process- so i just thought id ask to see how everyone else did it. Thanks though.

04-20-2006, 07:27 PM
im pretty sure it just bolts up

maxoutput
04-20-2006, 07:48 PM
does it matter which way is up. Just put mine back together with a new gasket and its leaking oil ?

JOEX
04-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by brute750
im pretty sure it just bolts up
I'm pretty sure you're wrong........ again:rolleyes:

The procedure to install it is in the reapair manual.

47501exracer
04-20-2006, 08:08 PM
You dont need to make any key for it. When you get the bolts started, take a tiny screwdriver and turn it so the tensioner fully seats inside. Tighten the bolts then release the pressure on the screwdriver.

Chino886
04-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 47501exracer
You dont need to make any key for it. When you get the bolts started, take a tiny screwdriver and turn it so the tensioner fully seats inside. Tighten the bolts then release the pressure on the screwdriver.

I agree with 47501exracer.....

I saw in the manual where it said to make a special key also, but a small flat head screwdriver works good. It will uncoil by itself, that is why it is called a "auto" tensioner.

RangerRick
04-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Sorry for the false information.Looks like I have some work to do....:eek2:

pmptrk
04-20-2006, 08:46 PM

I understand now. Doing this with it out and seeing exactly how it works is much easier than trying to decifer what the manual intends. Thanks for the help.

Rico
04-21-2006, 08:59 AM

This is the only way I've ever done it but man is it a handful to hold tensioner, hold a tiny screwdriver, and hold a ratchet to get the 8mm bolts tight. Wait, you'll need 3 hands to do the job...:huh