PDA

View Full Version : help stripped bolt

dirtman2
04-20-2006, 05:23 PM
well my friend stripped the bolt under the quad when trying to change the oil so if this ever happened to you how do you get the bolt off to change the oil

300exrider25
04-20-2006, 05:50 PM
ive done the same thing just not on the drain bolt i did it to one of the lug nuts on the tire. ive gotten them off 2 ways the easiest is to go to sears or a hardware store and i cant remember what they are called but they are like little nuts that go on it and it has teeth it it and it grabs the bolt and breaks it loose i think for a set it was like 25-30 bucks. the other way is to get a socket that is one size smaller the the bolt head and take a hammer and hammer it on sometimes it works and sometimes ot just try it and see.

drifterx
04-20-2006, 06:35 PM
You could take a dremel or something like that, and slot the middle of it, then use a big screwdriver to get it loose. Those socket sets that have the teeth like 300exrider25's talking about are pretty slick. I use them all the time at work.

Sjorge450R
04-21-2006, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by drifterx
You could take a dremel or something like that, and slot the middle of it, then use a big screwdriver to get it loose. Those socket sets that have the teeth like 300exrider25's talking about are pretty slick. I use them all the time at work.

yeah i Have a set of them too, for about 2 years now. I have not even used them yet.lol

dirtman2
04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
well we will try it out and see what happens

wdodge
04-23-2006, 07:02 AM
I have tried previous methods with limited success. I find the hammer-on types risk damage to the alluminum cases and the screw driver method doesn't allow enough torque. An elaboration of the dremel idea - which I used last week on a drain plug - is to cut two new parallel sides on the bolt head [reduce bolt head width to about 75% of original] and grab/turn with vise grips. If this does not work, continue with cut-off tool right through the flare on the bolt head to reduce the amount of the bolt to case surface. The dremel cut-off wheels work very well and quick - however, they break easy if you don't keep the blade straight with the slot. So, be patient and wear face sheild!!
Good Luck.