View Full Version : Rear brake rotor

Honda400exrox
04-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Well the other nite my little brother was riding at the gravel pits, and the rear brake pads are completely worn, and I guess he used the brakes, I was wondering, if you use the brakes alot like that, can it get hot enough to warp the rotor, and if so, how would I go about fixing the rotor? or how much would a new stock one cost

tprender
04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Most likey you didn't warp the rotor fro heat. Maybe from hitting something like a rock. Good luck trying to staighten out a warped rotor. New ones cost just over $100. How bad are the scrates on the rotor? If there are alot, time for a new rotor.

Honda400exrox
04-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by tprender
Most likey you didn't warp the rotor fro heat. Maybe from hitting something like a rock. Good luck trying to staighten out a warped rotor. New ones cost just over $100. How bad are the scrates on the rotor? If there are alot, time for a new rotor.

He was there for 3 hours

JOEX
04-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I had my rear rotor glowing red because the brake lever stuck:ermm: Still working fine.

You may want to check the rotor surface for grooving if there was metal to metal contact.

miller821
04-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I had my rear rotor glowing red because the brake lever stuck:ermm: Still working fine.

You may want to check the rotor surface for grooving if there was metal to metal contact.
Ya definitely check it for groves... Each time I changed my pads I have to sand it back as best I can, cause I'm metal to metal.

JOEX
04-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Ya definitely check it for groves... Each time I changed my pads I have to sand it back as best I can, cause I'm metal to metal.
You may want to change your pads a bit sooner:p

How are you sanding the rotor?

miller821
04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
You may want to change your pads a bit sooner:p

How are you sanding the rotor?
Lol I just wait til I hear the metal grinding then I know its time to change em... I wish I would of took a picture of my last ones I changed, they were so bad that they were bent up... There was nothing left but metal on em.

But last time I took a wire brush ( a powered one that you put into a drill) and cleaned it up, and then took sandpaper and kept going up in the size. Took a long time but helps a lot.

JOEX
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Lol I just wait til I hear the metal grinding then I know its time to change em...

But last time I took a wire brush ( a powered one that you put into a drill) and cleaned it up, and then took sandpaper and kept going up in the size. Took a long time but helps a lot.
That may work but I thought rotors were usually turned on a lathe so they are true, may not apply to atv rotors, I don't know.

I would think the braking power and efficiency may be comprimised if the surfaces aren't true. But if it works for you great, I know rotors cost a few $'s;)

miller821
04-20-2006, 09:44 PM
That may work but I thought rotors were usually turned on a lathe so they are true, may not apply to atv rotors, I don't know.

I would think the braking power and efficiency may be comprimised if the surfaces aren't true. But if it works for you great, I know rotors cost a few $'s;)
Ya parts can be expensive, so we try and just work with the stuff we already got... We're going to start using car brake pads, if we can rig it up, since my dad has so many laying around.. Hopefully it works, cause $26 for a set of backs is just unbelievable.

mattn03
04-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Hopefully it works, cause $26 for a set of backs is just unbelievable.

So $39.00 for rear Honda OEM pads is way to high? I need to replace the pads on the rear for the first time, and I wasn't expecting them to be $39.00.

JOEX
04-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mattn03
So $39.00 for rear Honda OEM pads is way to high? I need to replace the pads on the rear for the first time, and I wasn't expecting them to be $39.00.
That seems high...:ermm:

Check with C&D Racing...

mattn03
04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
That seems high...:ermm:

Check with C&D Racing...

Service Honda has them for $25.00, but can't get them to me quick enough. I need them before this weekend. I'll see if C&D can get them to me that quick.

oldschool73
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Those pads are the same on alot of different quads, they fit yamaha too and some others if you need them quick look on ebay some of the ads have a cross refernce to what else they fit. In a pinch you might get them at a yamaha dealer

jason43050
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by mattn03
So $39.00 for rear Honda OEM pads is way to high? I need to replace the pads on the rear for the first time, and I wasn't expecting them to be $39.00. way cheaper on ebay!!

mattn03
04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by oldschool73
Those pads are the same on alot of different quads, they fit yamaha too and some others if you need them quick look on ebay some of the ads have a cross refernce to what else they fit. In a pinch you might get them at a yamaha dealer

Thanks-I did not know they were used on other brands. Bad thing is, the local Yamaha & Honda dealers are owned by the same person, the buildings are right beside each other...lol

I have a contact in the parts dept. and he was is supposed to be back to work tomorrow. I'm going to see if he can give me a better deal than they told me today. Never hurts to ask you know! :D

hontr35
04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
There is a company called Iron Rhino Designs that has rear brake rotors for a couple different quads. I just bought one for my 400 for $55.00. Still working on a complete rebuild so haven't had a chance to use it, but the quality looks good. They have a couple different (wave) patterns. But nothing for the front yet until they get a template. Might want to check them out?