PDA

View Full Version : 450r electric fan

MossboysRacing
04-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I did some searches and found nothing. Is it possible to mount a 450r electric fan on a 250r radiator? I think my R is running too hott and i want to help cool it down. i race XC if that matters. It is an 85 atc engine, stock head, bored 50 over, pro-x piston, delta-2 reeds, fmf pipe and silencer. Any other ideas? I know the aluminium radiators are the way to go, but im a broke college student. Im in the market for a Cool Head, but like i said, still broke. I know my profile sig. says 265 head, but that went onto a different bike that i sold. Thanks John

onebadr
04-20-2006, 06:22 PM
i dont know about the fan idea but you could get a pro design in line cooler (goes on the rad hose) and run some engine ice coolant and see what happens

250R-Dee
04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
You will be better off getting an aluminum radiator. In order to use any radiator fan you will have to get your stator rewired for higher output.

MossboysRacing
04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Thats probably going to be my next move, the in-line cooler. I already run a Ricky Stator 100w stator, so i think i have the power for a fan. I don't run any headlights or even the handlebar switch, so the watts are there. And im just trying to do something different.

beerock
04-21-2006, 03:23 PM
well, you have no evidence its running hot, you just think it is?

the pro design inline coolers are small and i honestly think they DO NOT help.

I have a cfm inline cooler with 18 or 20 fins i forget. its about 5 pro designs in one.

im not sure neal(cfm) is still making stuff im sure someone else makes them

another thing if you really think its running hot but dont want to shell out money for a esr temp gauge then get one of those laser temp readers and bring it with ya when you ride.IMHO the temp gauge is a smart thing, i dont have one but i have a afco dual pass radiator plus the inline cooler, and i always keep a close eye on my motor during breaks. not to say that im not being a hypocrit by saying you need one and i dont just because I have a dual pass radiator. in allhonesty though i should have one but i dont worry much about overheating. it sounds like its important to you. or its just psychological

I ran my fully ported 265 for a long time with a stock radiator and know alot of guys with big bores and stock raditaors so you hsoulnt be that worried.

heres my inline cooler

deathman53
04-22-2006, 06:23 AM
I have a very similar in-line cooler on my atc310pvr. I use the stock atc radiators along with a short track kit(has a bigger turn and larger radiator fins). I also have esr temperature guage, it doesn't get much over 190, unless you have unknown problems or have a 330/350 big bore I wouldn't worry too much. There is a way to clean a radiator too, a: take it to a radiator shop or b: drain the coolant, leave the drain hole open and put a hose in the radiator and turn on the water in low, first the water will not be clean, after sometime the water will be clear and clean. Then put everything back together and use Engine Ice as your coolant.

MossboysRacing
04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
The reason i think its running hot is because after riding for about 20 min. I parked it in my garage. When i got off i could hear a bubbling/ boiling sound coming from the radiator. I thougt maybe it was getting hot so i pulled the radiator and cleaded it inside and out. After reinstalling, I rode again. The same thing happened after i parked it. Im just trying to cover all my bases, and don't want to end up overheating. I all ready run a mix of Water Wetter, which is an anti-freeze addiative. What is the average temperature it should be at? My buddy has a laser temp. guage that i can borrow, so i try and sort this out. THanks for the reply's John

250R-Dee
04-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Since the weather is getting warm you should use a water wetter and water combo. It will run cooler than the combo with anti-freeze/coolant. I have witnessed overheating issues on turbo automotive motors firsthand when water wetter was combined with coolant. The overheating issue went away when a water and water wetter combo was used.

Read the dyno test results on the REDLINE tech info sheet (http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/17.pdf).

beerock
04-23-2006, 07:49 PM
moos are you using the overflow container?

MossboysRacing
04-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I currently run a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze, with
Water Wetter, i do use the overflow bottle. Well payday is friday, so it looks like an in-line cooler is on the way. I'll try that first. Thnaks for the help, John