PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Bearings

bradje
04-20-2006, 05:49 AM
So, do I have to pound the rear axle bearings out with a big *** socket on the outer race?, there seems to be nowhere to get a bite on the bearings with a punch to punch out...this is a 03 400ex, how the bleep do you get these bearings out?

Thanks
Brad from Canada

250rider
04-20-2006, 06:45 AM
try the oven trick, clean out the seals and all the grease. throw your new axle bearings in the freezer. put the carrier in the oven at 350 for like 15 minutes. the bearings should come out fairly easy, stick the carrier back in for a little bit then take it out and throw the new bearing in still cold, the metal will expand and they willstick in there nicely

bwamos
04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
^^^^ What he said.

Works great. Aluminum expands faster than steel so the bearings on ly increase in size a small amount, while the carrier increases slightly more. So the bearings pretty much fall out.

04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
i can never get the oven to work. I always just use a propane torch but be careful with that

bradje
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
suffice to say;

do not pound out with socket and mallet?

if i use the torch what am i being careful off?

i'll have to wait until the wife leaves before doing the oven thing

B

glacier/400
04-20-2006, 10:43 PM
With the carrier out you can heat it with a propane torch, I had a friend help and two torches . Heat carrier for about 7-8 min
on one end always moving torches side to side. after you have
it warm smack the heated carrier end on a piece of wood. Bearings will drop out enough to a least get them with a punch
from the other side. after bearing is out , take out spacer , turn over and knock out other bearing, carrier should be warm
enough that you only need to heat the one end. If you have
not already had your new bearings in the freezer, do that
now let them sit in the freezer over night if possible!!
This makes the job that much easier!! Now if your bearings
have been chilled. Reheat the carrier for about 5 min. and drop in one bearing turn over install spacer and then second bearing!! Done Deal !!! my local shop wanted from
2 to 3 hrs labor!!! at 75.00 an hr. you might as well
by a new one for two hundred. By the way this
procedure is for an aftermarket billet carrier..

bradje
04-21-2006, 05:19 AM
the propane torch thing worked. Thanks all.

B

cdaleman440
04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
i used my moms oven and it was around dinner time i was in the garage and i hear her yelling at my dad because she thought he did it because he is a welder and she thinks to much
but yeah oven trick is nice

bwamos
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
LOL..

Supposed to do it when mom's not home. ;)

Luckily I live in an appartment by myself.. so noone is the wiser when I use my oven to cook ATV parts.. lol.