PDA

View Full Version : silkolene oil

dingo
08-02-2002, 01:00 PM
I now there has been alot of thread about oil but i just bought a gallon of Silkolene oil. I was on sale so I got it. It is 10w40w. I think it is a little thin but I live in Oregon. Is this stuff any good and is it compareable to other oils. It bothered me to see it was blue I thought I bought two stroke oil at first.

stocktires
08-04-2002, 01:11 AM
I used it for my R when i had a fresh top-end, never did like it. It was too thin and my top-end didnt last too long, I was running it at 32:1.
I just stick with Maxima for my R and my 300ex. Its good stuff, top-end lasted much longer and my 300ex doesnt overheat anymore (my dad ran castrol crap in it).

ridefastrgetoff
08-05-2002, 11:06 AM
Silkolene is good oil. As for how it compares to other synthetics, i'm not sure; i do know that Team Honda here in Tulsa used to use it but they no longer do.

www.SyntheticsExcel.com

Razorback
08-05-2002, 11:46 AM
hey ridefastrgetoff - hope things are going well. i've got a question for you. have you heard anything about this valvoline oil specifically made for atvs? i saw an ad for it in the new dirtwheels and wondered how it compared to the other popular oils used in mx quads. later...

scott

ridefastrgetoff
08-05-2002, 08:06 PM
If it's a full synthetic or not and what characteristics it has. Man, am I ready for Hawgball ! Decided not to renew my season tickets in the South end-zone and just buy tickets at the game.

ridefastrgetoff
08-06-2002, 08:39 PM
I found out some info for you on the Valvoline A.T.V. oil but no spec. info just yet. The oils are carried thru Autozone & Murry's; never heard of Murray's before. This oil is: "A proprietary blend of premium base oils and advanced additive technology". Sounds pretty impressive but I have no idea if it has any merit. Blends typically mean it's a partial synthetic at best; remember, according to the courts latest ruling in the Castrol -vs- Mobil case oils can be labeled as "Full-Synthetic" if they have as little as 5% synthetic base-stock in their formulations; this is the main reason I contend that everyone should, from time to time, have oil analysis performed to verify that they are not paying synthetic prices for an oil that's only 5% synthetic. I'll continue to dig to see if I can get some spec info for you.

www.SyntheticsExcel.com