PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to paint the R

tcr450r
04-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Alright guys, I'm ready to paint my 450r, I'm sick of the RED:blah: I was thinking about the "silver" that maier plastics uses. Is there anyone out there that could tell me exactly what paint I need, including flex coat, etc...

I have no clue on what to get so that the paint will not crack. Do you guys just think I should load it up with extra flex coat or what?

I can get the paint gun and I have a compressor, dryer, and all the hardware, Just a mixture of what I need would be great. I appreciate anything in advance.

wvspeedfreak
04-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Unless you are on a really tight budget.I would reccomend just getting new plastic instead of painting what you got.

killen them all
04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
talk to mxjunkie

juiced450r
04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
I would not recommend spending any money painting them. I paint cars in a body shop and did my old beat up 450r plastic. I used the best adhesion promoter and flex agent there is and the first time I clipped a small tree it flaked bad. Most off it ended up comming off. I had to buy another set for woods riding and redid those for drag racing events only. If you are planning on woods riding I would not do it. :(

Mxjunkie
04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Are you doing this in a body shop or with rattle can?

If rattle can..

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222242

If body shop PM me or ask thefontmaster.. if you prep it right it will last a good while.

I'd post but I'm off to bed.. work kicked my arse today :(

TheFontMaster
04-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Do not paint your plastics with automotive style paint. It will not last under normal abuse from trail riding, or MX. The only time I would use automotive paint on plastic is for drag or dune quads, and in that case I would air brush the paint on. Fot your plastics the best way to go is the krylon fusion paint. And yes that stuff will hold up to just about all the abuse you can throw at it. Josh had it on his banshee for almost a year, and I belive the only time he had a problem with it chipping was a few small places where the plastic flexed alot, and thats when he was at raush on the MX track with about 10 pounds of mud on it. I have the plastic on my 250r painted with the krylon and it's been holding up great so far. The only complaint I have with it is that it's more of a semi gloss finish. I don't know if they make fusion clear coat, but you should look into that.

Make shure that if you use the fusion paint that you follow all the prep steps that Josh said in his thread about the paint. Prep is the key to a great paint job. Good luck with it.

tcr450r
04-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Alright guys thanks for your help, I do planning on painting body shop style, but in my garage. I have the gun and all the stuff that a shop would use, and I am just going to hang my plastics from the ceiling. I am going to look into some of the things you guys recommended and make my decision.

Fontmaster, that fusion paint sounds real good, I'm thinking if I go anywhere with it that this paint would work the best. Do you have a price range by chance on that.

Do you guys have any pics of quads that have been painted?

One more question, if this paint job didn't turn out do you guys have a way to go back, maybe sandblasting and then plastic renew or sumthing?

TheFontMaster
04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
The krylon fusion comes in spray cans. You don't need to use the spray gun and all that stuff. It's 3 or 4 dollars a can at walmart. If the paint turns out bad I don't think there is really a way to get the plastics back to how they were. But if you prep it right you won't need to worry about the paint not holding. Here is a picture of my 250r with the plastic painted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture306.jpg

Mxjunkie
04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Theres pictures in the link but here u go..

This is krylon white..

tcr450r
04-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah I was checking out that link you gave me. Both of those quads look great. Hell, for the price of it, i could repaint my quad every couple weeks if I wanted.

I was reading about the dirtbike fender that you experimented with and if that holds up to what you did, I should have no problems. For repainting would I just sand it back down again?

Do you guys know if they sell any metallic colored paints, I want to do silver on my R. If its anything close to the silver they use on new plastics, I'm happy.

Thanks for the info, I can't wait for a new color!! :D

TheFontMaster
04-20-2006, 01:40 PM
To re paint the plastics, I would sand down the exsisting paint with 180 grit dry untill you started to see the original color of the plastic show through. The reason for this is that is that the more coats you have on it the more prone it will be to chipping. The sand down the plastics with 400 grit wet. Wax and grease remover, and then start painting.

tcr450r
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Alright thanks for the help. I'll be giving it a try in the near future. Maybe I'll post up some pics when I'm done.

My buddy also wants to experiment a bit with it too, so maybe I'll mess with his first. :devil:

Blue250X
04-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by tcr450r
Alright thanks for the help. I'll be giving it a try in the near future. Maybe I'll post up some pics when I'm done.

My buddy also wants to experiment a bit with it too, so maybe I'll mess with his first. :devil:

always a good idea:D