PDA

View Full Version : rear caliper crushed my silencer

STEVENJANNA
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I came up short on a double yesterday and my caliper crushed my silencer. Here are the components on my YFZ 450 Axis long travel rear shock, Walsh linkage, stock swingarm, stock rear brake assembly, the exhaust is the new TC Racing setup (it mounts in the same location as the stock silencer. The shock didn't feel like it bottomed out. Is there a way to prevent this in the future? Has anyone else had this problem?

hartnett18
04-20-2006, 06:11 AM
not me personally but ive heard alot of the curtis sparks doing that same thing.

daddio
04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
You need to make spacers to move your exhaust as far away from the sub frame as possible.

440racer66
04-20-2006, 07:01 PM
yea i bashed in my drd hmf is a whole lot smaller thats what im getting now

mountaineer
04-21-2006, 07:42 AM
I have done the same thing to three of my pipes curtis, yosh, dmc, and my mechanic told me to get a different brake stay plate that lowers the caliper towards the rear more. He told me to contact janssen racing and talk to them about it. He also told me to use spacers to move the silencer away from the swing arm.
PM me if you have any questions? He told me what brake stay plate to get but I forgot. It maybe just their brake stay plate. Or you could just do what I did and get a TC shorty It does'nt come close to my caliper anymore

STEVENJANNA
04-21-2006, 04:50 PM
After taking a harder look as I was tearing it down it wasn't the caliper that was the problem. Yes the caliper hit the silencer but that was the result of what really happened. The shock compressed so far that the swingarm came up into the airbox. I took the rear shock out and brought the swingarm up to the bottom of the air box and the silencer is clear but the damage to the undercarriage shows that the swingarm traveled an additional 3 inches into the airbox (breaking off the mounting ears). My question is why? I talked with Tim Brady at Custom Axis and we checked all the dimensions of the shock and it checked out. Nothing on the quad broke. The shock never bottomed out he basically said to not do what I did again but I don't buy that. Shouldn't the shock bottom out before it hits the airbox? The main spring is a 9" 425lb spring should I change it to an 8" spring? I'm stumped here any help would be great.

EvilJester400EX
04-21-2006, 09:36 PM
I see it as a design flaw on Yamaha's end. I run a Sparks pipe on one of my bikes and the exhaust has hit. On my other bike I run a TC and I've had my caliper hit the battery box and bust a hole in the battery box. I also run Custom Axis suspension on my bikes (dual rate, dual adjust rears). It's a very frustrating problem, one of the ways to overcome it is to buy an aftermarket battery box to prevent this from happening.

WhiteYFZ
04-21-2006, 10:37 PM
does anyone know if this problem occurs with nmotion exhausts?

tido450
04-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
After taking a harder look as I was tearing it down it wasn't the caliper that was the problem. Yes the caliper hit the silencer but that was the result of what really happened. The shock compressed so far that the swingarm came up into the airbox. I took the rear shock out and brought the swingarm up to the bottom of the air box and the silencer is clear but the damage to the undercarriage shows that the swingarm traveled an additional 3 inches into the airbox (breaking off the mounting ears). My question is why? I talked with Tim Brady at Custom Axis and we checked all the dimensions of the shock and it checked out. Nothing on the quad broke. The shock never bottomed out he basically said to not do what I did again but I don't buy that. Shouldn't the shock bottom out before it hits the airbox? The main spring is a 9" 425lb spring should I change it to an 8" spring? I'm stumped here any help would be great.

since your airbox is broken now, it doesnt make much sence for you to buy andother OEM plastic one. my airbox broke and i bought a CFM aluminum airbox with 250r style filter for 160. its about the bottom of it is about 2 inches higher than the bottom of the oem so its impossible of the swinger to hit it.

STEVENJANNA
04-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by tido450
since your airbox is broken now, it doesnt make much sence for you to buy andother OEM plastic one. my airbox broke and i bought a CFM aluminum airbox with 250r style filter for 160. its about the bottom of it is about 2 inches higher than the bottom of the oem so its impossible of the swinger to hit it.
Where can I find one?

Fred55
04-22-2006, 05:09 PM
I would really suggest to stay away from aluminum airboxs.....aluminum cannot flex like plastic does and cracks very easily, I cannot count how many times I have seen an aluminum airbox on a quad that had its mounts cracked and was held on by zip ties.

STEVENJANNA
04-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I've spoken with someone "in the know" and I've got a few things I'm going to try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

tido450
04-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
Where can I find one?

i got mine from trenga racing. i didnt have issues with mine breaking with the stock or after market subframe and my subframe snaped, nothing happened to the airbox,

jbplayfz450
04-25-2006, 08:38 PM
HEP Products makes THE BEST battery box, and it's the least expensive of the aftermarket boxes. You can also get a bigger box, so you can run a bigger battery on your YFZ.

You can get spacers that fit between the pipe and the subframe, I am 90% sure I got mine from Houser Racing.

I dont wanna sound like a know it all on this subject, but I've done my homework on this problem, and these are THE BEST fixes for this issue!

Good luck!

HEP (http://www.haleyengineeredperformance.com/)

Houser (http://www.houser-racing.com/)

jbplayfz450
04-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I would really suggest to stay away from aluminum airboxs.....aluminum cannot flex like plastic does and cracks very easily, I cannot count how many times I have seen an aluminum airbox on a quad that had its mounts cracked and was held on by zip ties.

I am suggesting an aftermarket battery box, not the airbox...

JHF219
04-26-2006, 07:28 AM
I have a 3/4 inch spacer on my pipe, it looks dumb because the pipe sits at an angle now. I still hit the pipe with the dumb caliper anyone got some suggestions for me ? Stock rear shock, WB Alumapro pipe.

Thanks,
JHF

Sick0
04-29-2006, 02:45 PM
I have lost two pipes and two Battery boxs from this problem.... I never hit my hits my pipe until I got the Elka longtravel linkage. I have noew switch back to the stock '04 linkage with alot better results... I also have a Herrmann battery boxs, have also gottn spacers for my pipe......

Another thing is I own a '04 and a '06 YFZ... The '06 brake caliber is placed more in towards swingarm and at a diffrent angle which looks like it helps htis problem......

daddio
05-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Another thing is I own a '04 and a '06 YFZ... The '06 brake caliber is placed more in towards swingarm and at a diffrent angle which looks like it helps htis problem...... [/B]

The '06 linkage is also different. It works better than the Elka link.

fmfracing5
05-03-2006, 10:09 AM
its not the silencer that is the problem it you suspension, send them ****y over priced custom axis shock back and get your money back and buy either tcs(awsome shocks for about 500$ less then custom axis) or elkas, i think that custom axis is way over priced foor a product that isnt near as good in qaulity then the elka or tcs shocks

bradley300
05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
if you are unhappy, take your rear shock off, and let the rear sag. then lift it up to just before the caliper hits and measure from the center of the upper shock bolt hole, to the center of the lower shock mount hole. this needs to be your compressed length. now call your shock builder with your findings, you need a stock extended length, your new compressed length. they should have everything else they need

Sick0
05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by fmfracing5
its not the silencer that is the problem it you suspension, send them ****y over priced custom axis shock back and get your money back and buy either tcs(awsome shocks for about 500$ less then custom axis) or elkas, i think that custom axis is way over priced foor a product that isnt near as good in qaulity then the elka or tcs shocks

WOW!!! don't blame Axis for this... I have the same problem with my elka... I have seen this problem with all of the aftermarket shocks that run the Aftermarket linkage.... The linkage is the problem... it just allows too much upward travel..... I removed the linkage(elka) and havn't havd a problem........

I personal think Elka can't set-up there shocks to save there life... I like my axis way better. I went with Elka because I could save money and didn't have to wait as long..... And don't forget Elka top of the line shocks cost almost the same if not more and there still not valved as good......

STEVENJANNA
05-03-2006, 12:53 PM
I really don't want this to turn into a who's got the better shock battle here. If it doesn't help with the problem of fixing a clearance issue please keep your stupid *** comments to yourself.

As far as changing linkages are you talking about the pullrod or the knuckle?

daddio
05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
The "knuckle" is what's different. I dumped my Elka link and went with a Yamaha '06 knuckle. It workes much better.

The caliper problem is deeper than just shock travel, though. The subframe and swingarm flex enough to contribute to the problem. The best answer is to put spacers between the subframe and silencer mounts.

Sick0
05-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I was looking at my '06 linkage today and the whole linkage set-up look diffrent (pullrod and knuckle)....
I do run the stock subframe but I run a LSR swinger....... I just think the everybody is maxing out how much they can lower these things....

WORCSYFZ199
05-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I broke my CT pipe and my subframe all at once like that, get a yoshi tri-oval exhaust and it clears the whole assembly

ALAMX37
05-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Easy fix, buy a battery box, and get 1-2 spacer for the exhaust bolts.