PDA

View Full Version : need to find vin #

bowtech99
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
i am trying to find the vin on a 2002 400ex, the sticker on the frame is really beat up and i need it to get the bill of sale

exboomer
04-19-2006, 06:14 PM
It's on the front upper cross member of the frame facing up, right behind the front bumper.

bowtech99
04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
thats what i was worried about, this is my first 400 and i do not know much about them....that piece you speak of seems to be missing....is there any other spots that would be hard to remove? i need to find the vin quick in case it was stolen so i can call the cops and get my money back before i pump any more money in the bike

GPracer2500
04-19-2006, 06:33 PM
The vin is stamped into the frame right were exboomer says. It's not a piece you can remove without cutting the frame up.

NCexRider
04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
How is calling the cops and reporting that you own a stolen quad going to get you your money back? How would you know it was stolen by locating the VIN anyway? If it is stolen and you report it you're probably going to be out your quad and the $ you paid for it.:ermm:

bradrenea
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by NCexRider
How is calling the cops and reporting that you own a stolen quad going to get you your money back? How would you know it was stolen by locating the VIN anyway? If it is stolen and you report it you're probably going to be out your quad and the $ you paid for it.:ermm:

That is a possiblilty. I don't know about michigan law, but in Missouri he COULD get paid resitution.
On the other hand, if he finds out it's stolen and does not report it to the police, when he gets caught with it he will go to jail for receiving stolen property. Which would you rather do, chance loosing some money, or get thrown in jail, loose the same amount of cash, and spend a buttload more paying the attorney? Sounds like common sense to me.;)

Franky G
04-20-2006, 03:24 PM
:confused:

04-20-2006, 03:53 PM
ya i wish i knew that earlier,,,one of my friends had a wreck at st.joe st park.. when the officer was doing a report he was lookign for that and couldnt find...i mean we looked on that 400ex up and down

johnsls
04-21-2006, 08:53 AM
I have an 02' 400ex too, that piece where the vin# should be was painted over,, it must have also been grinded down becasue I can't see the numbers either. The guy I bought it from said it wasn't stolen, but now what,, I guess I never register it and hope I never get caught..................

I just might be screwed..:mad: