PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem

Cr85rRida
04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey guys, i went to start my R today and it started first kick! BUT, it was revving so high like i was holding the has down, i have a mikuni TMX carb from ESR. Does any one know where the idle adjustment screw is on it? Is there anything else i should look for? thanks.

Cr85rRida
04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
:confused:

250-R-250
04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I dont think that your idle screw is going to fix that problem...If your idle is that high, then its not your idle screw.

Maybe you have an air leak? That would be suspecting the worse. Have you down a leak down test?

dsaint77
04-19-2006, 08:05 PM
There could be a few problems that I could think of.

First is the idle iratic? Meaning does the idle start idleing low at first then then rev up and then rev back down? This might indicate an air leak.

Second is you throttle cable too tight where its not letting the slide seat all the way down?

to check if its something simple like the throttle cable take the cover off your throttle box of twist grip and make sure there is play in your cable. Might want to pull the carb and make sure that the slide IS all the way at the bottom of the carb.

If the cable is improperly run through your chasis when you turn your handlebars left or right it will pull on the casing of the cable causing a high idle. Turning your bars to the right will put the shortest position on the cable.

on a keihin carb the idle is located on the choke. so the pilot jet is directly related to the idle.

have you had problems with you idle before? when was the last time that you ran your R?

Adam

novaracr70
04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
that carb should have a idle screw on the right top has a lock nut allso

mxracer97
04-20-2006, 08:58 AM
If you look at the image of the TMX carb on ESR's website, you can see the idle screw. It is angled downward and is located above and to the left of the fuel inlet. Like novaracr70 metioned, it has a small locknut on it. Also, if you want to lower the idle you will adjust the screw out, not in. As a reference point, my idle screw is about flush with the locknut.

Cr85rRida
04-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Ok, its not an air leak it just need adjustment as soon as i kick it over is starts off like imm holding the throttle a little, but dosent go up or down, Ill try it out thanks for the help i will let you know how it goes!

Cr85rRida
04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
ARG:mad: :mad: I found the screw it was like all the way out from the lock nut, so i try turnning it in and it wouldnt move, i tried the other way to still nothing
then it freaking streeped out of me:rolleyes:

So i start it up and its low low then gas a little and it was revving high again. WHat do i do now>:(

Cr85rRida
04-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Okay i went out to check the cabel and the front of the plastic was like holding it against the stem peice, so i loosend it and started it up is started running fine:confused: was that the problem? anythin else is should look out for? my idel still doesnt move lol...

mxracer97
04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Did you remember to loosen the locknut before you tried to turn the idle screw? The idle screw should turn easily if you did (mine does). Anyway, the pinched cable could certainly have been your problem.