PDA

View Full Version : 20w-50

400exrules
04-19-2006, 03:42 PM
is a synthetic 20w-50 ok to run in 60-100 degrees? Im about to order some from amsoil so i want to make sure.
Im changing over from honda GN4 nonsynthetic 10w-40

Rico
04-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Absolutely.

Synthetic oils do not have paraffins in them like petroleum oils do.

These paraffins are like wax, which get real thick when it's cold out. I run 20w-50 year around and it gets cold here in KY. The pour point on amsoil 20w-50 is -38 degrees, which means it doesn't want to flow at that temp so it has to get pretty cold for it to NOT protect your motor.

That 20w-50 is what your motor wants in the hotter weather. It will also help your motor run cooler.

Glad to see you switch from that crud oil to synthetic, your motor will love you for it. YOu can also go longer between oil changes.

underpowered
04-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Absolutely.

Synthetic oils do not have paraffins in them like petroleum oils do.

These paraffins are like wax, which get real thick when it's cold out. I run 20w-50 year around and it gets cold here in KY. The pour point on amsoil 20w-50 is -38 degrees, which means it doesn't want to flow at that temp so it has to get pretty cold for it to NOT protect your motor.

not to correct you or anything, but the very few dino oils still use pariffin. Valvoline does, but most other major oils do not. The reason they thicken up is juast chemestry 101 stuff. the colder stuff is, the thicker it gets, the warmer it is the thinner it gets.

Rico
04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
not to correct you or anything, but the very few dino oils still use pariffin. Valvoline does, but most other major oils do not. The reason they thicken up is juast chemestry 101 stuff. the colder stuff is, the thicker it gets, the warmer it is the thinner it gets.

I haven't studied every brand of oil and it's additives but the paraffins are the main reasons petroleum oil thickins up even when it's not that cold out, say 30 degrees.

A synthetic is going to flow better than any petroleum oil at cold or hot temps. :D

bwamos
04-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Agree.. I use my 20w50 Amsoil year round. (on an air cooled 330ex). I love the stuff.

04-21-2006, 04:22 AM
i use 20w-50 mobile 1 fully synthetic year round

wvspeedfreak
04-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Rico

A synthetic is going to flow better than any petroleum oil at cold or hot temps. :D

Exactly.Next time you are in an auto parts store pick up a bottle of 20-50 petroleum based oil and a bottle of 20-50 synthetic and shake them both.You can tell a difference in them.
By the way Rico.....nice avatar :cool: