PDA

View Full Version : Honda oil?

Coolidge
04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Im getting ready to do my 1st oil change after break-in. I have read some posts here regarding Honda oil. My dealer wouldnt even recommend the Gn4 , but did rec the HP4 (Syn blend?/no moly) for both eng/trans. Is this stuff OK? Opinions? BTW, Im not a racer, w/no oil sponsors! lol

RedRacer44
04-19-2006, 11:06 AM
The GN4 is perfectly fine, I've used it in both of my race motors (04 and 06)and it works just fine. I do change my oil more often than most users though. Just completely tore my '06 motor apart and inspected everything....have had nothing but GN4 in it, everything looked great!

Never had any experience with the HP4. If you're looking for a good synthetic or semi-synthetic....look into the BelRay Thumper 20w-50 Semi-Synthetic. Its designed for motors like the TRX/YFZ (high reving multi-valve 4-strokes). Its similiar in price to the HP4 also. I've used the Thumper oil for part of last race season and it really held up to my motors abuse....longer usage periods before oil break-down. In your application where you're a rec-rider, you could wait longer between oil changes. Its safe to use in both sides of the motor too.....it smells awesome too :blah:

04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
you can get much better for cheaper or the same price. I only run honda oil when im breaking the engine in.

bwilson624
04-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Hn4 is the way to go on both sides. My dealer recomended the Hn4 over the Hp4 also. Given I've only changed my oil once, but I'm gonna stick with it.

Coolidge
04-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Is the Hn4 'with' moly? or straight synthetic? Too late anyway...I just did my oil change last night w/the HP4 on both sides. Either way, I bought a bunch of filters, and plan on changing oil often. I think its cheap insurance.

wckedclownz69
04-21-2006, 08:23 AM
i used hp4 and changed my oil lst night... runs good

bwilson624
04-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I agree Coolige, the cheapest insurance you will ever find.