PDA

View Full Version : carb cleaning tips?

HRC_rider
04-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Anything to watch for or be sure to do when cleaning the 450R carbs? Tips?

WhiteZee
04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
buy a service manual and it tells you how to clean it.

HRC_rider
04-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I've already got the manual, no problems so far but it's my first cleaning and just looking for anything specific to beware of or to look for

BLEEDRED
04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
A lot of the screws are really soft. Use a new number two screw driver and be sure not to strip or overtighten them. Some people replace the screws with allen heads...just to make it easier in the future. But there is a reason they use soft screws. Be careful not to overtighten and damage the carb body. Good luck.

tcr450r
04-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
A lot of the screws are really soft. Use a new number two screw driver and be sure not to strip or overtighten them. Some people replace the screws with allen heads...just to make it easier in the future. But there is a reason they use soft screws. Be careful not to overtighten and damage the carb body. Good luck.

I replaced mine with allan heads and it makes it so much easier than wrenching on them PITA screws. I would recommend it when you put it all back together, just be careful not to overtighten.

WhiteZee
04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
But there is a reason they use soft screws.
to piss us off?

BLEEDRED
04-20-2006, 05:45 AM
to piss us off?

Yes, you are correct.

However, more importantly, so as not to damage the carb body by over tightening the screws...