PDA

View Full Version : Read this, it might just scare you a little....

Rich250RRacer
04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
The Coming Oil Crisis
by Robert Kiyosaki

Tuesday, April 18, 2006
How many of you are old enough to have been working in 1973? If so, you would've had the kind of economic experience I did at that time. But if you were in school or missed the period of the oil crisis, get ready because those times could return with a vengeance.

I left the Marine Corps in 1974 and got my first (and only) real job with the Xerox Corporation. The U.S. economy was in terrible shape at that time. From 1973 to 1974, the U.S. was in the midst of an energy crisis, and inflation was in the double digits. Stagflation, a new word, had been introduced -- there was high inflation, but the economy wasn't growing.

Because of the energy crisis, I had not one but two cars. One was a Corvette, and one was a Karmann Ghia convertible, made by Volkswagen. I filled up my Corvette with gas on even-numbered calendar days and the other car on odd-numbered days. Also, the speed limit was cut from 65 to 55 mph to reduce gasoline consumption, which meant I was often pulled over for speeding.

Worst of all, as a brand new Xerox salesman just learning to sell, I found myself struggling to save Xerox copiers, rather than sell Xerox copiers. That's because back then, Xerox only rented copiers. As the economy worsened, one of the first items businesses got rid of was their Xerox copier. Each cancellation meant I had to sell two copiers -- one to cover the loss of the cancelled machine and another copier to earn enough money to put gas in my cars and food on the table. In some months, I was losing more machines than I was selling -- and was nearly fired several times.

Oil Prices Will Keep Heading Up

My reason for taking you on this trip down memory lane is because I believe we're approaching a repeat of that 1973-1974 crisis. Once again, oil prices are going through the roof. During the mid-70s, oil went from under $3 a barrel to over $35 a barrel. And in 1974, we were stuck in an unpopular war in Vietnam, a war we would not win.

In 1998, oil was just $10 a barrel, and today it is over $60. We're also stuck in a war we may not be able to win.

The difference this time is that things are actually worse than they were in 1974, at least in my opinion. One difference is that the oil crises back in 1973 to 1974 and again in 1978 were political problems. Today, the oil crisis is a problem of diminishing supply and increasing demand. In other words, this time, there really is an oil crisis.

Many people today believe that oil will once again return to the $35-a-barrel level and aren't concerned. Or they believe that with better technology, energy companies will find more oil, and happy days will be here again.

I believe differently. Not that I'm an oil expert, but in 1966 through 1968 I was hired as an apprentice by Standard Oil of California, where I learned a lot about oil and the oil industry. Although I did see oil prices slide back down in the 1970s, this time, I believe they will go higher, not lower. I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see oil at over $100 a barrel and gasoline at $5 to $12 a gallon at the pump.

Wealth and Energy

Pricey oil makes clear that wealth really is energy in various forms. And that means more than just money. If I'm correct, and oil does go over $100 a barrel, you'll see some individuals' -- and some companies' -- wealth equation look like this:

For people who live in the suburbs and must commute long distances to work, their wealth will sink as energy prices rise. The same is true for the airlines, food, and car companies, plus destinations such as Hawaii, which depend on cheap energy to grow.

For other people (and some companies), their wealth equation will look like this.

For people who invest in oil companies or own oil production, their finances will reflect this equation. This is why Exxon-Mobil (XOM) has recently replaced Wal-Mart (WMT) as the most profitable company in America.

An Alarming Gap

While many environmentalists, concerned with global warming, are thrilled that oil supply is on a decline (and we truly do need to replace oil with more renewable forms of energy, such as wind and solar power), there's another concern that must be considered. If energy costs continue to rise and our economy stops growing and starts shrinking, many stocks will crash, older Americans will not be able to retire, inflation may skyrocket, businesses will close or cut back, and jobs will be lost. Not only will we be facing global warming, we'll be facing civilized chaos.

The problem today is that oil companies are too short-sighted, the environmentalists too far-sighted, and politicians only concerned with being elected. As a result, there will be a gap between the end of oil and a conversion to less destructive forms of energy. In this gap, all hell may break loose.

In my next article, I'll go into what I'm doing to prepare for the gap, as well as why I believe the gap can't be avoided. In other words, it will not be 1973-1974, or stagflation, all over again. I believe it will be the end of civilization as we know it -- and possibly the birth of a brave new world.

As my greatest teacher, Dr. Buckminister Fuller, said to my class in 1982, "Humanity will soon have to choose between utopia or oblivion.... Do we work only for ourselves or for our planet?"

Pricey oil makes clear that wealth really is energy in various forms. And that means more than just money. If I'm correct, and oil does go over $100 a barrel, you'll see some individuals' -- and some companies' -- wealth equation look like this:

For people who live in the suburbs and must commute long distances to work, their wealth will sink as energy prices rise. The same is true for the airlines, food, and car companies, plus destinations such as Hawaii, which depend on cheap energy to grow.

For other people (and some companies), their wealth equation will look like this.

For people who invest in oil companies or own oil production, their finances will reflect this equation. This is why Exxon-Mobil (XOM) has recently replaced Wal-Mart (WMT) as the most profitable company in America.

An Alarming Gap

While many environmentalists, concerned with global warming, are thrilled that oil supply is on a decline (and we truly do need to replace oil with more renewable forms of energy, such as wind and solar power), there's another concern that must be considered. If energy costs continue to rise and our economy stops growing and starts shrinking, many stocks will crash, older Americans will not be able to retire, inflation may skyrocket, businesses will close or cut back, and jobs will be lost. Not only will we be facing global warming, we'll be facing civilized chaos.

The problem today is that oil companies are too short-sighted, the environmentalists too far-sighted, and politicians only concerned with being elected. As a result, there will be a gap between the end of oil and a conversion to less destructive forms of energy. In this gap, all hell may break loose.

In my next article, I'll go into what I'm doing to prepare for the gap, as well as why I believe the gap can't be avoided. In other words, it will not be 1973-1974, or stagflation, all over again. I believe it will be the end of civilization as we know it -- and possibly the birth of a brave new world.

As my greatest teacher, Dr. Buckminister Fuller, said to my class in 1982, "Humanity will soon have to choose between utopia or oblivion.... Do we work only for ourselves or for our planet?"

Rich250RRacer
04-18-2006, 10:05 PM
here's a link to it also
http://beta.finance.yahoo.com/columnist/article/richricher/3721

Titanium
04-18-2006, 10:10 PM
thats way to long to read. lets hear it in a nut shell;)

Rich250RRacer
04-18-2006, 10:17 PM
A little reading never hurt anyone, you can finish it in a couple minutes, unless you ride the short bus.

04-18-2006, 10:25 PM
gas too high and gas run out=end of civilization as we know it

honduh440
04-18-2006, 10:26 PM
just imagine if gas was up to 12 bux a gallon. 300 bux to fill up.

DieselBoy
04-18-2006, 10:39 PM
yeah.... goodtimes

JIMTED79
04-18-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm going out to buy more guns right now.

04-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by JIMTED79
I'm going out to buy more guns right now. get beer too

fursheddy
04-19-2006, 03:00 AM
get real. All hell will not break loose. There will be no gap, because ethanol and biodiesel have filled it already. e85 is just the beginning. The oil companies are the ones that will go thru hell, cause this renewable fuel is going to take over.

Instead of our money going overseas to those towelheads, it will go to you if you're a farmer.

Mxjunkie
04-19-2006, 05:51 AM
All thats happening is a recession (sp) things have been going good for to long and they need to throw a fork in the system to reset everything..

DeerNuts
04-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Everybody's a doomsayer. And what's worse, they really cannot back up there claims. What was in that article that everyone else DOESN'T know? There was little evidence given, unless you take opinion for evidence.

IMO, we have already been through worse times than this one. Mxjunkie is close, if in a simple way. Everytime there's a "crisis", people get their panties in a bunch and predict the end of the world. Ok, right. Nostradamus couldn't even properly do that, and he could read the future:rolleyes:

The world might be in a tighter spot if the typical ****head American keeps believing politicians and businessmen's lies that everything is out of control and will just blow up.

Like Iran--they are not going to blow us up. This takes a little bit of diplomacy and a lot of negotiating. They still have years before they get atomic weaponry, and we still have years to effectively head off the so-called energy crisis.

rbgnwa45
04-19-2006, 11:07 AM
If we run out of oil I'm riding a horse.

zeppelin
04-19-2006, 11:20 AM
"man dont you know that they already invented a car that runs on water, but the goverment wont let us have it because they know that if we use water in our car we will use it all up and we will have to start drinking beer. and the government know that we cant drink beer because it will set us free." Hyde

DieselBoy
04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
ill get a pedal bike

insaneracin2003
04-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
ill get a pedal bike
i already have a pedal bike,sheesh,it is going to be a journey everyday to work on my 19 mile hike :ermm:

400exrules
04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
Like Iran--they are not going to blow us up. This takes a little bit of diplomacy and a lot of negotiating. They still have years before they get atomic weaponry, and we still have years to effectively head off the so-called energy crisis.

apparently you havent been watching the news...

PismoLocal
04-19-2006, 02:35 PM
ill get a pedal bike

I'll start riding my motor scooter to work when the energy crisis happens cuz im a baller like that. :cool:

04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
apparently you havent been watching the news... cuz they know everything :rolleyes:

250rinLV
04-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Oh no!!!

im going to have to ride a pedal-quad:eek:

DieselBoy
04-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 250rinLV
Oh no!!!

im going to have to ride a pedal-quad:eek:

oh no, there gonna be electric with a big *** battery mounted where the gas tank would be

can you imagine?

"let's go riding man!"
"Dude, I can't go, I gotta charge my battery..."

zeppelin
04-20-2006, 06:47 PM
oh no, there gonna be electric with a big *** battery mounted where the gas tank would be

can you imagine? no, because they would be waaaaaay to top heavy if the put the motor where the gas tank should be. it would definetly be in the same place our gas motors.

kdub33
04-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Is there not any more Oil in the world that we could drill into? and...If I remember right Clinton had an awesome economy back in the day, were we in any type of conlifct or war then? so basically if we dont go to iraq, we are screwed b/c of terroists and if we do go to iraq, the economy is going to blow? sounds like a shot in the nuts to me...if i only i coulda lived in the days when it was $.25 a gallon.

Warnerade
04-20-2006, 07:26 PM
there has been a recent discovery of oil in canada i think? there is HUGE deposits in the soil, but they are debating whether or not to dig into it becuase they want to preserve the land. I dont blame them, its probably beutiful up there.

DieselBoy
04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
I always say to my dad how lucky he was growing up as a teen. CARS were cheap, insurance was CHEAP, fuel was CHEAP, houses were CHEAP, life was CHEAP!

It sound's like they had it pretty good.

Today everything is so inflated the rate of debt in today's society is unsightly...

Warnerade
04-20-2006, 08:26 PM
back then something may have been marked with a cheaper number...but that cheaper number was just as hard to save up for then as it was now.

Toadz400
04-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
thats way to long to read. lets hear it in a nut shell;)

And that's the reason why our country is going to hell...our youth can't read:ermm: .

There is no crisis going on, gas prices are going up because they can go up, no other reason. People have created different ways to create far better gas mileage than we have now and even alternate energy sources but the oil companies are holding all of that back because they would lose money. Eventually we'll get past our over-consumption of oil and hydrogen and other alternate fuels will be put into play.

What most people don't realize is GM has the technology for hydrogen and electric cars but they're working on what the American really wants - speed. It'd be a lame world if all the vehicles of the future could only do about 60 mph and took close to a minute to get there without any g-force feelings.

Toadz400
04-20-2006, 08:44 PM
I always say to my dad how lucky he was growing up as a teen. CARS were cheap, insurance was CHEAP, fuel was CHEAP, houses were CHEAP, life was CHEAP!

It sound's like they had it pretty good.

Today everything is so inflated the rate of debt in today's society is unsightly...

But you have to understand that back then they made much less at their jobs. Coming out of high school kids were going into the factories making $5-7 an hour...now days that would translate to over $20. The problem nowadays are the prices keep rising but our incomes do not. People are getting out of school and getting jobs that pay the same but everything costs 5 times as much.

LTZ400rider
04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
one word, biodiesel

woodsman250r
04-20-2006, 10:01 PM
The technology is out there to sway demand from petroleum products. Some countries in South America now use ethanol made from sugar cane which is renewable, clean and two times cheaper to use than gasoline. However the oil companies have so much control over the economy that this will not become a well accepted and used source until its too late. We can produce this fuel in the US by using Soy and Corn to produce fuels. This would greatly benefit American farmers, cut pollution, reduce fuel cost and cut some demand on foreign oil. Drilling in Alaska is NOT the answer, that is one of our last true untouched landscapes and Bush and all the other retards want people to believe this is the answer to lower fuel costs. However the real answer is renewable and geothermal fuels. Right now is a good time to thank all of the morons out there who voted for Bush, and if I remember correctly he is in the oil buisness.

Toadz400
04-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
The technology is out there to sway demand from petroleum products. Some countries in South America now use ethanol made from sugar cane which is renewable, clean and two times cheaper to use than gasoline. However the oil companies have so much control over the economy that this will not become a well accepted and used source until its too late. We can produce this fuel in the US by using Soy and Corn to produce fuels. This would greatly benefit American farmers, cut pollution, reduce fuel cost and cut some demand on foreign oil. Drilling in Alaska is NOT the answer, that is one of our last true untouched landscapes and Bush and all the other retards want people to believe this is the answer to lower fuel costs. However the real answer is renewable and geothermal fuels. Right now is a good time to thank all of the morons out there who voted for Bush, and if I remember correctly he is in the oil buisness.

Yep. Even if we switched over to using more Ethanol based fuels I would not mind paying $2.50 a gallon for it as long as I knew the money was going to the farmers and not the oil companies (I live in Wisconsin, it would benefit people I know greatly if they could get into this business).

JIMTED79
04-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
But you have to understand that back then they made much less at their jobs. Coming out of high school kids were going into the factories making $5-7 an hour...now days that would translate to over $20. The problem nowadays are the prices keep rising but our incomes do not. People are getting out of school and getting jobs that pay the same but everything costs 5 times as much.

My buddys dad was telling us that in 1980 he was making $25.00 an hour as an electrician and bought his house for 70,000 and gas was under a buck a gallon. Now he is some big wig at an electric company but he said they pay there electricians $35.00 an hour and his old house that was 70,000 is now going for 460,000 and we know where gas is, so I think they had it alot better 30 years ago.

woodsman250r
04-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Yep. Even if we switched over to using more Ethanol based fuels I would not mind paying $2.50 a gallon for it as long as I knew the money was going to the farmers and not the oil companies (I live in Wisconsin, it would benefit people I know greatly if they could get into this business).

Exactly. Why is it acceptable that we are pouring out millions of dollars to other countries for oil that do nothing in return for us? Just look whats going on with Iran, they are looking to use oil prices as a weapon. I'm sick of American jobs and money going over seas when it needs to start staying here in America.

fursheddy
05-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Evidently no one read my reply at the beginning of this post. E85 is a new fuel that is becoming quite popular around here. Several stations sell it within 20 miles of my house.

E85 is made out of 85% ethanol, which as we know is made from corn. 15% is regular petro. The octane rating is something like 105, and it's like a dime cheaper per gallon. The drawback is that your vehicle is supposed to be a flexible fuel vehicle, to burn either 85 or petro.

There are a bunch of people refining vegetable oil in there garages to make biodiesel. This is no crap, they say their truck's exhaust smells like french fries. This is using NO dinosaur oil.

Big oil will be hurt BAD by this stuff. Hopefully we can go 100% renewable fuel before too long. The only thing is, if we don't buy oil from the middle east, I'm afraid they will hate us more than they already do and cause problems with trade.