PDA

View Full Version : Piston is sticking need help.

440ex2001
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I have an 88 lt250r am putting and engine in i dont have the carb on it or exhaust its just mocked up in the frame. I kicked it over a few very easlity just to see if it would. After about 5 revolutions the piston hung about 1/2 half way in the jug. I pulled the head off and looked at everything looked fine. I put some oil on the sleeve and put it back together. It kicked over a few more times and hung again. Could it be a ring hanging on a port or is it just lack of oil. Need to figure it out before I put fresh gaskets in and fire it up.

440ex2001
04-18-2006, 09:52 PM
anyone?

premiumtommy
04-18-2006, 09:59 PM
are you positive you have the piston rings installed right?

did you check there clearance?

hope you solve it..

bradrenea
04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I would definately not run it like that. It won't take long to blow it up.
Are you sure the rings are lined up with the locating pins, and they did not move when the cylinder was installed. It's fairly common if you dont' know what you are doing. I am not saying that you don't, its just hard to diagnose a problem without knowing whether or not the installer knows what they are doing.
Also, as stated above, you need to check the ring end gap on the rings. Don't just assume they are right. Are you sure the rings are even for the right bore size?
Has the cylinder just been bored? If so the ports probably need to be chamfered. Some shops will do it for you and some will leave it up to you.

Cody_300ex
04-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Need some piston return springs man!