PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Back Bearings on a trx 400 ex.

pigmonster
04-18-2006, 01:19 PM
I've been looking for a service manual online or a step by step guideline on how to replace my old bearings out of my 2005 trx ex. If you have this or info with pictures it would be appreciated. Thanks.

400exMO
04-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Buy a clymers, it'll help you there and on every other project you do.

But for now look in the how to forum, it has a description in there.

pigmonster
04-18-2006, 06:10 PM
All I see in the "how to" is the replacements for the front bearings. I could be wrong though.

04-18-2006, 06:18 PM
its easy except for getting the bad bearings out of your carrier. theres a few tricks for it. what you need to do first is take you right hub off and tire. then take off the axle nut. then take off your chain from the rear sprocket. then take off your rear brake caliper. then take off the brake stay. then pull the axle out the side the chain is on. then pull the bearing carrier out and have some good fun with getting the bearings out. seals are easy. REASSEMBLE

Glamis400ex
04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Once you get it dissassembled to the carrier like MixMasterMike said, take the bearing carrier and throw it in the oven @ 200* for like 5 minutes. The bearings should tap out. While the carrier is in the oven, throw the new bearings in the freezer for like 15 minutes. The expanded carrier and the *shrunk* bearing will drop right in the carrier. When to new bearings warm and the carrier cools ...thery'll snug up nicely.

Glamis

04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Once you get it dissassembled to the carrier like MixMasterMike said, take the bearing carrier and throw it in the oven @ 200* for like 5 minutes. The bearings should tap out. While the carrier is in the oven, throw the new bearings in the freezer for like 15 minutes. The expanded carrier and the *shrunk* bearing will drop right in the carrier. When to new bearings warm and the carrier cools ...thery'll snug up nicely.

Glamis i oculd never get that to work. tried multiple times. what i finally was able to get to work was a prpane torch around the outside from pretty far away but you have to be careful doing this to not warp the metal. good luck and have fun

Glamis400ex
04-18-2006, 09:48 PM
^^^^works everytime for me. That method works well for getting the sleeve out of the jug too. Just slides right out.