PDA

View Full Version : racing cdi.

400nate
04-18-2006, 11:56 AM
hey guys/gals me again....im thinking of buying this cdi. off ebay. it says polaris in the description...but i just would like to know if there is any mods i may have to do to hook this up...90 already have a teather switch. i have read in place that its not a plug and play..can anyone help me on this...i got 3 weeks till my nephew races and were in a scramble to finish it up.......thanx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4631031140&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

400nate
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
no one has any info on how to hook these up...i know most of you run these things..other wise these little minis barely move....

BradLoomis
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I use this on a couple of our bikes. If you are still using the stock tether or NO type switch, this won't work easily. If you have gutted the electric system incl. starter and are running a ProDesign, Gunner type NC tether, it will work fine. 2 wires to Stator - 2 wires to Coil - 1 wire to Kill Switch that is wored to frame.

bigdaddy
04-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Hot Seat has a direct plug in cdi for Polaris. Or contact Dave at Stroke It Imports

400nate
04-24-2006, 09:31 PM
i have tried contacting dave..i used to order from him but he hasnt returned any of my emials that i have been sending so i went to another place. his loss i guess. i bought the racing cdi. the blue one. i see every where. wich also seems to be what everyone is selling...got it for 55 bucks...im gonna call hetricks when it finally gets here. to see what they say..im sure it pretty easy to figure out i just dont wanna cross any wores and burn it up......

but still is kinda disapointing that no one here can help me out...

400nate
04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
i jjust noticed brads post....i im using the stock teather i have removeds the starter and battery since i burned the starter clutch out real bad after installing a 110 stroker in it.....if i gotta gut the wires can i get some wire colors this is my nephews mini and money is not availible to throw away and needs to be ready by may 7th.

BradLoomis
04-25-2006, 09:34 AM
If you have removed or are going to remove everything not needed, then it is really easy. There are 5 wires coming out of the right side of the motor next to the plastic side cover. 3 will be together in a plastic plug, this is your chaging system and is not going to be used. The other 2 come from your stator and go to the CDI. Your Coil will have 2 wires coming out that do to a plastic plug and then thoey also go to the CDI. The last lone wire on the CDI goes to a NC kill switch that is wired to a good ground point.
All of the other wires can come out. It is really easy, but you have to make sure you have the proper kill switch. To check if it is a NC, use a multi meter set to the ohm position to check continuity. With the tether installed in the kill switch, there should be no continuity btween the two kill switch wires. Pull the tether out, and there should now be continuity which would take and ground out the CDI to kill the motor. Stock Polaris kill switchs will not work with this CDI. Also when wiring the kill switch, use your Ohm meter again to find the wire that goes to the exposed metel side of the kill switch, if it has one, make sure that wire goes to the frame otherwise your nefew could get shocked by the kill switch. Hope this helps.

400nate
04-25-2006, 09:45 AM
seems easy enough..colors would have helped but i think i can do it..guess i gotta get a new kill switch.....

thanx brad

BradLoomis
04-25-2006, 09:54 AM
http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/f8/0c/cb_1.JPG

Black wire / orange wire plug: Coil
White / red stripe wire: Stator
Black / red stripe wire: Stator
Black / white stripe: Kills Switch

Because of the ends you can't really hook them up wrong. Sorry I didn't say that earlier.

400nate
04-25-2006, 10:01 AM
thanx for the wire diagram....i order from the quad squad out of canada...just hopin i get my parts soon....
i have desided to use the pro armor kill from my kfx...is the the right type of kill switch

BradLoomis
04-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I have no idea if it is a NO or a NC switch. Just use a multi meter and check it before you use it on the mini. Most Kill switch companies build both types because factories use both types on their bikes.

400nate
04-25-2006, 10:30 AM
whats the diffrence between NO and NC..wich one is wich

bigdaddy
04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
I just talked to Dave today. Best thing to do is call him.

BradLoomis
04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
ProArmor doesn't state anything on their website.http://www.proarmor.com/store/images/A040021.jpg

disconnect both wires off of your kill switch. Hook up the wires of the multi meter to each of the wires with the meter reading Ohm's. With the tether installed, if you get a signal to the multi meter the kill switch is a NO (normally open). But if nothing is going throught the meter, pull the tether. You should now have a signal going through the meter, that means the switch is a NC (normally closed) switch and that is the style you need for that CDI.

NO allows electricity to flow through it to allow the CDI to operate.
NC takes the electricity away from the CDI to kill it.