PDA

View Full Version : Painting Rims

OldYellow
04-18-2006, 09:39 AM
What do you guys think is the best way to paint my rims black. Any help on it would be great.

Sjorge450R
04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by OldYellow
What do you guys think is the best way to paint my rims black. Any help on it would be great.

first, this should be in the Body forum

for paint, get them sent to Pappy and get them Powder coated.

04-19-2006, 10:18 AM
use high gloss paint and coad it a couple times.it holds up good

MOS300ex
05-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Clean the surface with alcohol, thoroughly! You want it to me clean clean clean or else your just wasting you time. If you can, get some spray bombs mixed up at a local auto paint shop. If not KRYLON is awesome. Get some high temp paint, seems to be more chip and scratch resistant that other types. Like the type for a barbque grill or an engine. Youll need an adhesion promotor to make it stick really good. Get it in a spray bomb.

Clean the rim with alcohol
Apply adhesion promotor
Paint 2-3 coats
clearcoat if you want to
Your golden!

Or save the money and powdercoat it which is what id do.

quadwunner
05-01-2006, 07:16 PM
if anything..
get them pc'd.
but even poweder coating will come off.

RMpower
05-29-2006, 06:56 PM
your best bet is to clean them the best u can, a sand blaster would do the trick. then apply a few coats of primer. KRYLON paint works well, but try a high temp. paint http://www.forrestpaint.com/stovebright/high_temp_aerosols1.html somethihg along the lines of that. high temp. paints seem to be more resistant to scratches and chips, but u have to relize your painting rims, if your doing trailing your probably better off leaving them alone. but give it a try

bmurray
06-08-2006, 08:38 PM
if you are painting aluminum you will need to use a self-etching primer for it to stay on. Anodizing would be better than painting.

protegespecter
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
he wants his rims black and black is a color that cannot be annodized, black and red are the only two colors that I know of that cannot be annodized.

Pappy
06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by protegespecter
he wants his rims black and black is a color that cannot be annodized, black and red are the only two colors that I know of that cannot be annodized.

LOL...you can have parts anodized black:p

Pappy
06-09-2006, 09:07 PM
and red is the most popular color for anodizing..lol

bmurray
06-09-2006, 09:23 PM
we have parts anodized red and black all the time!