PDA

View Full Version : Please help; removing head and installing pisotn

quallerd
04-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Let me ask everyone if this makes sense for somebody who has never opened up a motor before:

What if (in order to save money and learn a little bit about this motor) I removed the head on an 04 450r myself using the Honda shop manual. I wanted to then send the head to RageATV and have Dee port and polish it, install the intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, etc. and send it back to me ready to bolt back on the bike. Before I did that however, I was thinking about taking it to a reputable local Honda dealer and having them install a new piston I already have and put it all back together for me. This way I could ensure that it was all being done correctly and that I didn't make a novice mistake that could potentially wind up costing me allot of money, time, and frustration.

Does that seem to make sense to everyone, or would it be to difficult to package everything up to take it to the Honda dealer to have them put it back together once I got the head back from Rage?

How difficult is it to remove the head?

And one last question: a three angle or five angle valve job is completely different from a port and polish correct!?!?! If so, should they be done at the same time? So in my instance, should I have Rage ATV do this for me while he is porting and polishing and putting back together my head?

Thank you very much for your opinions; I appreciate them all!!!! I'm just trying to figure out what the best/smartest way to do this is!!!!

bwamos
04-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Yes the 3-5 angle valve job is seperate from a port/polish.
You'll usually want that if you are replacing the valves. Basically it's where they machine the lip where the valve contacts the head to ensure a perfect seal.

I would get them both done at the same time. (port/polish and valves).

On the piston.. they are pretty easy to install yourself. Could have them do it for you if you're worried. They could even install the head.. but that's very easy to do yourself.

The hardest part is going to be jetting the carb. Easy as pie once you learn how.. but a pain in the butt until it "clicks". But, you gotta learn sometime. ;)

Honestly I'd do all installation work yourself. What better motor to learn on than a simple single cylinder motor. ;)

SaboTron
04-18-2006, 03:05 PM
What is the cost to send the head to RageATV and have Dee port and polish it, install the intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, etc. and send it back to me ready to bolt back on the bike? Does it include parts? I am thinking of doing something similar to the work you are having done.

Thanks