PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shifter Shaft

REESE
04-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Anyone know what it takes to replace the shifter shaft on a 400ex (1999) Does the case have to be split? Anyone ever welded the shift lever back on and did it work???? please let me know any thoughts or ideas on this.
Thanks!

nosliw
04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
yeah dude it runs all the way through. kind of a big job.

if your in a rush to get it fixed (race coming up, ect) then welding it on will work until you can fix it right.

that sucks

REESE
04-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah I Just got done doing the whole top end and the quad screams and the kid snaps the shifter off :mad: I am wondering if the seal is going to melt, I will odviously try the cold rag trick but I dont know.

Rico
04-18-2006, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by REESE
Yeah I Just got done doing the whole top end and the quad screams and the kid snaps the shifter off :mad: I am wondering if the seal is going to melt, I will odviously try the cold rag trick but I dont know.

I just did the same thing. Have a cup of water handy, hit it with weld and throw water on it and you should be OK with the seal.

I"ve got a new shift shaft at home ready to go in but I"m in no hurry to do it...:ermm:

underpowered
04-18-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I just did the same thing. Have a cup of water handy, hit it with weld and throw water on it and you should be OK with the seal.

I"ve got a new shift shaft at home ready to go in but I"m in no hurry to do it...:ermm:

sounds like me. i will replace the shift shaft when i need to split the cases, but for now, the weld is holding up just fine. i actually pulled the shifter flush with the shaft before welding it, so i wont have to cut it off, i just hve to grind the weld back down when i need to remove it.

JOEX
04-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by REESE
Same thing happened to me last summer, rebuilt the top end then a few weeks later the shift shaft broke halfway up a dune at St. Anthony's:cuss:

Replacing the shaft wasn't that difficult but it was one the scariest things i've done on a quad:p

Devan14
04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
I just resently changed mine, you must split the case..the shaft comes all the way threw..you pull it out the case side...and slide the new one back in hook it on to the cam..test if it shifts..if it does...put ur gasket back on..bolt her on..torque it..and ur all set..

Not that big of a job...