PDA

View Full Version : Hatfield McCoy trails

cpr_454
04-17-2006, 09:33 PM
looking to put together a trip to the hatfield mccoy trails in WV and i was just wondering about the place ...from those who have rode there!

exrider44
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Ive been there once it was pretty cool you just have to watch out for the rocks they seem to be sharp in spots. Out of like 7 of us 5 got flats. I say take a trip down check it out. Its cool that you can drive thru the town on your atv and hit McDonalds. We didnt get a ton of riding in Im sure theres a ton of trails we missed.

quad2xtreme
04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Hatfield is an awesome place to ride. I go at least twice a year for about 4-6 days each time. You can save money renting from locals. I always stay at the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express because of the high-speed Internet access.

If you run 4 or 6 ply tires, you won't have any issues. I've only gotten flats with 2 ply tires.

You might consider just taking 22" tires with you on a set of spare rims. It is hit or miss on how deep the ruts are on some of the hill climbs.

This is going to sound like a knock against 4X4 riders, well...because it is. Most 4X4 riders can't ride worth a crap so they go slow and totally rely on oversized tires with deep treads. Once they realize they are stuck (and this means digging some deep arse hole first) they will then realize they are on a 4X4 and go into 4X4 mode. There are places you won't make it on a sport quad at Hatfield simply because the 4X4s haven't left you any space to go except in their deep ruts. In the early days of the trails being open, I used to run all the black trails on a Raptor or 400ex. The only thing that can dig a rut deeper than a utility quad is a dirt bike. :eek2:

/Jon

truestreet300
04-20-2006, 10:34 PM
we just got back from hatfield a couple weeks ago got caught in rain on the rock house trails kinda sucked other then that we weint every where everyone else went i did some black trails on my 300 it sprung a fuel leak and ran out of gas (rember to bring gas can lol) that sucked had to get towed out but its fun
the pinnicle creek trails are real good can really get them going out that way
yeah and stay away from any mud holes that even remotly look deep 4x4 have rutted them out will some will swallow a sport bike whole
here are some pics from our trip
i can only get 2 to load i dont know why but here is us on the way and a pic of hill we all didnt wanna try on first day http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/10923314435.jpg&s=x11

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/10923360559.jpg&s=x11

4punksdad
04-21-2006, 04:28 AM
I have been there twice. Bear Wallow and Rockhouse. Its great trails...........but its not worth the long drive as far as I am concerned. Then again, I have pretty nice trails where I live.

Rico
04-21-2006, 06:37 AM
I organize a large ride there every year and have for 4 years now. I love the place, the small towns around the trails, the bars, the camping, the beer and the good times.

I highly recommend going.

quad2xtreme
04-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I organize a large ride there every year and have for 4 years now. I love the place, the small towns around the trails, the bars, the camping, the beer and the good times.

I highly recommend going.

I am with Rico. It is about the whole atmosphere and not just the riding. If you are there over the summer, make sure you go to Logan for the hillclimbing and drag racing. I believe it is called Rolling Thunder.

/Jon

exrider44
04-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Some of us had 4ply and some had 6ply and still got flats, slices in the sidewalls. To bad riding down in south jersey isnt legal cause I think it blows hatfield away for trails. but thats just my op. Its something to check out I probably wont go back though.