PDA

View Full Version : blaster piston shattered....pieces in case

bayou boy
04-17-2006, 05:59 PM
this weekend we went ride my wifes blaster locked up....yesterday i pulled the head and cylinder to find the piston skirt had shattered..i looked down in the case and uh o lots of lil pieces. I fished them out. it seems like I got it all but I want to be certain. is there a way i could flush the case or do i need to split the case to be certain. I ordered a manual last night. I have split the cases on a few 4 strokes and have done a few top ends in my time so I am confident I can do it. I just have never done a 2 stroke. it looks pretty simple. it has the injector removed and I mix 32:1 every thing else inside looks good. guess it was time for it to go...lol luckily she was on it when it happened and not me

moddedblaster20
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
that really stinks, i pray my blaster dont go thru that

suzuki2903
04-17-2006, 07:41 PM
I would personally split the cases! unless you have better luck then most.... I work at a shop and build snowmobile engines, Ive seen many engines come in from the owner just (washing) the crank out. It may seem cheaper and easier to rinse but there is still alot of metal down there!

bayou boy
04-17-2006, 09:53 PM
kind of what I was thinking too. I guess it is time to put a lil more spunk in it too....lol

Cody_300ex
04-18-2006, 05:46 AM
If you want to flush it run a 60/40 mix of kerosine/cheap oil threw it 3 or 4 times.

Ryanwolfe911
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
That very same thing happened to my CR500. Only I wasn't so lucky. The piece that broke off my piston skirt ended up int he bottom end and the crank pin smashed it right through both of the case halves. YOu should have heard it when it happened. Funny thing is, I too was running a perfect 32:1 mix, with Honda 2 stroke synthetic oil, and always maintained my bike meticulousy, and it happened without warning. But anyways, yeah I would split the case halves, if for any reason than to inspect the crank bearings for damage. Ususally if you sieze the engine, yourcrank bearings will be trashed as well, since the only lubrication they get is from the oil you mix with gas. And if there wasn't enough to keep the piston from siezing, then........

Tyler107
04-18-2006, 03:45 PM
That seems to be common with stock cast blaster pistons mine and three of my buddies stock pistons have done the same thing, and the cases are pretty easy to split you may need some specialty tools like flywheel holder and puller, and a case seperator if needed, but i would go with a forged wiesco piston they hold up alot better than stock.

Honda TRX250ex
04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
My clyinder droped on my 250x a couple weeks ago and we tryed fishing all the little peices out. But i split the engine and than go i did because there was some pretty nice size of metal in there.
I would say split it. Its not very hard.