PDA

View Full Version : A cool idea IMO

pastfast125
04-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I was sittin here thinkin one day, and I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have atv rock crawling competitions? Just completely build up an awesome quad, designed for flexin like crazy, just cool stuff like that. and I was also thinkin it would be cool to make a SFA atv, just for the hell of it. I think that would be sick for muddin and stuff, get a fully locked front and rear solid axle, would make it a lot easier to lift and stuff too, and they would be easier to design to handle a lot of torque too IMO. The hardest part I bet would be to keep driveshaft angles good, but I'm sure somebodyu with some good machining abilities could rig up something like a tcase drop and what not. Anybody else think this is a cool idea? I was thinkin when I move, I could pick up some old ute quad and mess around and see what I could come up with. They could even start up a whole new MINI rock crawling class, have to have the basic wheelbase of an atv, or certain length restrictions and what not. What's your opinions?

quads14589
04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
i dont think so, they got jeeps

JIMTED79
04-17-2006, 07:53 PM
It wouldnt be so cool when you fliped your rock crawler atv like all rock crawlers do:D

Dr89
04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
haha well i like the sound of it...but prolly by the time you got done buildin it it wouldnt be much more than just an underpowered jeep :confused: sounds cool to me though

Plante400
04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
too small

fast_enough
04-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
i dont think so, they got jeeps

You dont think real hard before you post, do you?

What if back when, when it was mostly all dirtbikes and just a few quads, someone said "We should race quads motocross like the dirtbikes" Guess its a good thing no one said "No thats why we have dirtbikes"

I think it would be a blast...to watch. Just like JIMTED said, its gonna be on you eventually, and its gonna hurt.

400exrider707
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
I was also thinkin it would be cool to make a SFA atv, just for the hell of it. I think that would be sick for muddin and stuff, get a fully locked front and rear solid axle,

My old 86 Honda 350 4x4 had straight front and rear. It was one of the best crawling 4x4 quads I've ever drove including most newer ones.

1fastR
04-18-2006, 06:07 AM

pastfast125
04-18-2006, 10:19 AM
LOL yea, Kinda like that^^:p

underpowered
04-18-2006, 11:25 AM
great idea, but there are reasons it has never been done
1. Weight- simply not enough to proper flex without super soft suspention, which in turn would cause axle wrap and wheel hop.
2. leverage- Unless you made the quad as wide as a jeep, the springs would be too close together to get enough leverage on them to get alot of flex out of it. the springs would have to be placed almost to the center of the axle, then handling would suck.
3. Safety-as others have said, it would be a hazzard for safety. it would end up on you at one time or another.
4. Back to weight-The axles are heavy, a quad really isnt. you would probably have as much unsprung weight as you did sprung weight, just not a good idea.