PDA

View Full Version : went swimming

fastexgirl4c
04-17-2006, 01:53 PM
So I crashed at an open practice this past weekend, and with my amazing luck, the suzuki flipped over the imbankment(sp)..and went right into a huge pool of water. It was underwater for around 5minutes. I drained most of the water out, but does anyone know if the motor should be fully taken apart? My dad insists that I take it to the suzuki dealer to get the motor taken apart.. but im only 16 and dont have the money for the expensive dealer fees or for their mistakes. Do you thikn that anything could be now messed up from the water? Or will changing the oil fluids,spark plug be ok..and just turn the motor over while its on its grab bar be alright for it? I have a race (neatv) on the 30th..so I don't have much time to do anything drastic with it.:ermm:

awj8074
04-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Was it still running when it went into the water?

AtvMxRider
04-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Set it up on its grab bar and let the water drain out. Then change the oil and clean the carb and filter. You don not have to take the motor apart. You may have to change the oil a few times.

fastexgirl4c
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by awj8074
Was it still running when it went into the water?

no thankfully the killswitch killed it

i had it up on the grab bar since i got it home so most of the water is out..but there is a lot of dirt in it..i turned the motor over a few times wit the plug out and pipe off and a lot of dirt and water blew out so hopefully that will be ok wit the oil changed

tater_kamik
04-18-2006, 12:31 AM
i would change the oil a few times, but i am curious as to how the efi held up to the swim!thats one heck of a test to see how well it is sealed. let us know, any pics?

Racing Rice
04-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
...and clean the carb and filter....

LTRs are fuel injected.:huh :D

Keep us posted on what you find, and how it runs. I'm curious as well.

bwamos
04-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I'd give it a good flush treatment a couple times.. then put your oil in. GIve it a 5minute ride.. to run it through the system.. then change to oil one last time.

You should be good and have no moisture in the system.

Renagade
04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Don't forget to remove the fuel tank and drain it completely. Change the oil then run it for an hour. Change it again and add some STP fuel injection cleaner to the gas tank. It will be just fine. The worse thing you can do is let it set without running it once its out of the water. There is an OMC outboard motor test facility right next to me. They soak the outboards in salt water for months then pull them out change the oil and run them. The two cycle ones need nothing but a fresh gas tank attached. Funny to watch a diver goes down and pulls the self inflatable boat cord and the thing is screaming down the river in minutes. Hope this helps.

badvox
04-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Renagade
Don't forget to remove the fuel tank and drain it completely. Change the oil then run it for an hour. Change it again and add some STP fuel injection cleaner to the gas tank. It will be just fine. The worse thing you can do is let it set without running it once its out of the water. There is an OMC outboard motor test facility right next to me. They soak the outboards in salt water for months then pull them out change the oil and run them. The two cycle ones need nothing but a fresh gas tank attached. Funny to watch a diver goes down and pulls the self inflatable boat cord and the thing is screaming down the river in minutes. Hope this helps.

I would not use automotive fuel injector cleaner in these.

bradley300
04-19-2006, 07:24 AM
in would buy about 10 quarts of the cheapest oil you can find. put some in, ride 100 yards and change it. do it until the water is out, or the oil is gone. it should be fine since it wasnt running. might want to change the spark plug and air filter and oil filter too

cdaleman440
04-19-2006, 09:27 AM
yeah dont put the injector cleaner in your bike i have a cannondale and a buddy:mad: put some in my tank as a joke because it wouldent start because his little brother pumped the throttle with trying to start it while i was inside and i fouled like five plugs and i had to change my fuel filter to

tater_kamik
04-19-2006, 12:06 PM
im assuming its still a wet clutch, so the cheapest oil, that doesnt have friction modifiers...

awj8074
04-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
im assuming its still a wet clutch, so the cheapest oil, that doesnt have friction modifiers... if its like the honda 450 the tranny and engine oil are seprate so that shouldnt be a problem

Renagade
04-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I use the stp fuel injector cleaner in every tank:D keeps the fuel system in top order. I put the stuff in all my lawn equipment also. If someone fouled out plugs then their engine must have been running rich. Add a little at a time till it gets the combustion chamber cleaned out. Just my 2 cents

450R_lover
04-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I sank my trx450r in some water about a year and a half ago and i had it was running. It then died and started sinking... haha... i was really far away from home so i just got as much out of the airbox and stuff that i could... turned it on the grab bar, and rode it home. I got it home and drained the oil in the engine and tranny and both were white, because of the water. I bought two big bottles of Castrol GTX because it was cheap. I then changed my oil, let it warm up, then drained the oil. I did this about 10 times and it was pretty much without any water in it after that.

tater_kamik
04-19-2006, 06:40 PM
if its like the honda 450 the tranny and engine oil are seprate so that shouldnt be a problem

thats the thing, i dont know if they are seperate or not! if they arent, it is a problem. i would like to know for myself, because i have been thinking of getting one, though i have decided to wait for the 07 models.

awj8074
04-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
thats the thing, i dont know if they are seperate or not! if they arent, it is a problem. i would like to know for myself, because i have been thinking of getting one, though i have decided to wait for the 07 models. i'd think they would be since its a race quad and all

04-20-2006, 01:38 AM
i'd think they would be since its a race quad and all i am almost positive the yamaha isnt seperate. but then again is it even a race quad? :blah:

tater_kamik
04-20-2006, 05:55 PM
you are correct, they are not seperate!

yeah yeah yeah, gotta bag on the yamaha:cool:

theTman
04-21-2006, 05:11 PM
i have an idea

dont crash:rolleyes:

LTandRaptorider
04-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by theTman
i have an idea

dont crash:rolleyes:

Oh tman... now what fun would that be??!! :confused: :eek: :blah:

theTman
04-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Oh tman... now what fun would that be??!! :confused: :eek: :blah:

:o your right bart

LTandRaptorider
04-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by theTman
:o your right bart

:eek: :eek2:

Now don't do that! rider11x will post pics of me reclining in my hospital bed again! I guess it's good he took pics... I sure don't remember it! :p

Wonder if the head nurse came in to see me? :confused: :devil:

CannondaleRider
04-22-2006, 06:57 PM
If they are seperate, you need to change both many times.

The tranny has vent tubes, so theres just as much of a chance of water in the tranny.

Along with changing all the oil multiple times, you might want to pull off all the connections and stuff dielectric grease in them. That way your for sure getting a connection, and you won't have to worry about water later.

Gotta be nerve racking to deal with huh?.....i'm so glad i'm in Arizona....deepest water you deal with is riding out of the puddle from washing it, lol

RIDER11X
04-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
:eek: :eek2:

Now don't do that! rider11x will post pics of me reclining in my hospital bed again! I guess it's good he took pics... I sure don't remember it! :p

Wonder if the head nurse came in to see me? :confused: :devil:

You rang????????:devil:

tater_kamik
04-24-2006, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
If they are seperate, you need to change both many times.

The tranny has vent tubes, so theres just as much of a chance of water in the tranny.

Along with changing all the oil multiple times, you might want to pull off all the connections and stuff dielectric grease in them. That way your for sure getting a connection, and you won't have to worry about water later.

Gotta be nerve racking to deal with huh?.....i'm so glad i'm in Arizona....deepest water you deal with is riding out of the puddle from washing it, lol

excellent advice!! you are absolutely correct.

aroracer72
04-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Dont know if you already fixed it, but do exactly this.

1) Remove spark Plug and air filter
2)set it up on its grab bar
3)Now turn it over a couple time....dont hold the start button...but tap it soo you open both valves to get all water out and also any excess will go out spark plug hole/exhaust
4)Drain your oil, and if the water was filthy dirty...drain your coolant
5)put everything back on, fill oil back up, coolant if neccessary...crank it over with ignition off for 4 seconds, start it, then go for a quick 5 minute nice ride..no rev's
6)Change oil again, and then once done let er rip!!!

Ive fixed many quads that were flooded and one of my own....this works and is a little over board..but i guarantee you NO damage if you follow my steps exactly
CHAD

fastexgirl4c
04-29-2006, 05:04 PM
well it took about 8 oil changes to get most of the water out... it barely has some left in it... i had to order a new a-arm and shifter.. but like every other LTR part..it wont be here till mid may..so its loaded in the trailer like it is... runs like new:cool:

looks like the yellow submarine still lives..yayyy