PDA

View Full Version : Please Read - Arm Pump

JRP
04-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Alright well im askin about how to get rid of arm pump. Now i know theres probably threads about this but i wanted to start a new one. At my house i have 2 jumps in about a 3/4 mile area. I went to a friends house and he has 10 or 11 jumps in a 1/2 mile area. It absolutley killed me. I dont ride there alot because hes never home. And i cant really build alot of jumps because it takes me a while since all i have is a shovel and a wheelbarrel. So is there anything i can do other then riding. I mean like evxercises, not like eating bannanas. I can ride 15+laps here and barely get it but at his house i couldnt ride 2 or 3 laps without gettin it bad. I dont feel it in my forearms, its all in my thumbs. Like i couldnt push the throttle at all, and my thumb was slippin off it like crazy. I jus got one of these clamps(weight bar clamps) and i work my thumb on that. Is there anything else? Thanks. PS, i was thinkin about goin out and gettin pump-x.

Iliketogofast
04-17-2006, 11:34 AM
There are grip exercisers that you can buy - they work in a squeezing motion. They helped me a little.

Aside from that you need to work your arms out, even your chest. Do push ups, lift weights, ect.

I used to have bad arm pump when I rode at the badlands but now that I've started to exercise a little bit I don't have it quite as bad.

hardkoratvmxr
04-17-2006, 01:03 PM
get 2 tennis balls and hold one in each hand and squeeze them as hard as you can 50 times, do that in sets of 3, 3 times a day. it works wonders.

JRP
04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
alright sweet, i gott atry that.

MR.BIG
04-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I go to the gym 5 days a week and it does nothing to help me from getting really bad arm pump up. The only thing that seems to help me is riding.

04-17-2006, 01:14 PM
precision or W.E.R. or any cheap stabilizer

Iliketogofast
04-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Stabilizers work well.

I rode a 400EX with one - it's great. I actually plan on buying one cause I liked the 400 so much.

tanman11
04-17-2006, 01:26 PM
IMO, arm pump has alot of how you are holding onto your bars. Try to lighten up your grip, ride looser. Don't hang on to your quad, or dirt bike like you have the fear of God, LOL! Also what I have noticed is different grips. Don't laugh, you'd be surprised. Different rubber compounds work for different people. But like everyone else has mentioned, just try to ride more.

JRP
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
i am looking a stabilizer but I dont have any money really right now. I ride mondays through thursdays and saturdays and sunday. But that dosent help considering i only have 2 jumps. Its just on my friends track he has over 10 jumps and i think his rythem section is what got me. So i think ill start building a little rythem section and some whoops. I think that will get me into shape and reduce my arm pump.

Hon300ex
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
mayeb try a twist throttle so you dont have to push the thumb throttle?

JRP
04-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Hon300ex
mayeb try a twist throttle so you dont have to push the thumb throttle?

already have, i have one actually in my room. I put it on for a month and it sucked ***. After riding thumb throttle for 3+years, i jus couldnt make the switch. The egronomics from a quad to a dirtbike are way different.

04-17-2006, 02:33 PM
usually some1 woulda said a joke about mastubating by now :confused:

bulkdriverlp
04-17-2006, 02:37 PM
i get arm pump all the time, but ive never raced quads. there ya go.....

zeppelin
04-17-2006, 03:01 PM
well if you ride the day before it will expaned your veins in your arm and lessen you chances of getting it the next day. other than that and the other things that have already been posted the only thing that i have found that helps is asprin. take 2 before you ride and never have armpump again EVER! :D .

04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I get that all the time when I'm on a real track, if I'm on a homemade one I dont get. Its so bad that I cant push the throttle in. Thats why I'm going to get a twist.

Mxjunkie
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Best excerise there is to do is riding...

blakefoote
04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
get a nice stablizer...

work your arms w/ like 20lbs wieghts and do that like 200 times non-stop and that will help alot!...and push-ups, and all the cardio works....:cool:

Rich250RRacer
04-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Alright well im askin about how to get rid of arm pump. Now i know theres probably threads about this but i wanted to start a new one. At my house i have 2 jumps in about a 3/4 mile area. I went to a friends house and he has 10 or 11 jumps in a 1/2 mile area. It absolutley killed me. I dont ride there alot because hes never home. And i cant really build alot of jumps because it takes me a while since all i have is a shovel and a wheelbarrel. So is there anything i can do other then riding. I mean like evxercises, not like eating bannanas. I can ride 15+laps here and barely get it but at his house i couldnt ride 2 or 3 laps without gettin it bad. I dont feel it in my forearms, its all in my thumbs. Like i couldnt push the throttle at all, and my thumb was slippin off it like crazy. I jus got one of these clamps(weight bar clamps) and i work my thumb on that. Is there anything else? Thanks. PS, i was thinkin about goin out and gettin pump-x.

Breathe. It works for me, long deep breaths and the arm pump fades.

woodsman250r
04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Get a decent stabilizer, get some good comfortable grips...Spider Grips help a good bit IMO. You need to do as much cardio as possible if you aren't riding, running , biking, swimming, skating whatever. Yea riding is the best thing you can do but don't be lazy if you aren't out riding. Try to avoid weights unless you are doing lower weight and higher reps. I tried to get into body building for about 2 years and found that it did nothing but give me killer arm pump. I do cardio 3-4 times a week and ride in between and I notice a HUGE difference.

woodsman250r
04-17-2006, 10:02 PM
All yea I forgot about your diet. Things like fast food, chips, pop, candy don't help get rid of armpump. You need to replenish your body everyday with water or some type of sports drink and also eat healthy. Also try getting a camel back for when you ride because I found that if I ride with one, keeping myself hydrated during riding helps a ton.

Racing Rice
04-18-2006, 06:56 AM
I found this article a while back. It doesn't matter how much time you spend in the gym, if you aren't doing the correct exercises, it is pointless.

These exercises absolutely kill at first.

Beating Arm Pump - MXOffroad.com (http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2006/armpump/)

jb500ex
04-18-2006, 07:18 AM
best thing too do is find out what your blood type is then email me, i will give you a list of what foods too stay away from. Then drink plenty of water. And you can try our product www.cardiostackracing.com it helps delay arm pump and in alot of people it eliminates it.

JRP
04-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
best thing too do is find out what your blood type is then email me, i will give you a list of what foods too stay away from. Then drink plenty of water. And you can try our product www.cardiostackracing.com it helps delay arm pump and in alot of people it eliminates it.

yea i was thinking about that stuff, but.... My dad dosent want me taking pills because it dosent seem healthy. Thats just how he is, so thats why im tryin to find some exercises to do to help it. Im not to sure on what my blood type is, my mom is gonna call my old doctor and see if it says on my records what blood type i am.

jb500ex
04-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by JRP
yea i was thinking about that stuff, but.... My dad dosent want me taking pills because it dosent seem healthy. Thats just how he is, so thats why im tryin to find some exercises to do to help it. Im not to sure on what my blood type is, my mom is gonna call my old doctor and see if it says on my records what blood type i am.
that would be a good start, i can give you a list of things good and bad for you. you can also get a home test kit for around $10 bucks. Let me know if you can't find them and i will get you one

JRP
04-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
that would be a good start, i can give you a list of things good and bad for you. you can also get a home test kit for around $10 bucks. Let me know if you can't find them and i will get you one

alright thansk man. My mom said she would call the doctors today some time.

MR.BIG
04-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I found this article a while back. It doesn't matter how much time you spend in the gym, if you aren't doing the correct exercises, it is pointless.

These exercises absolutely kill at first.

Beating Arm Pump - MXOffroad.com (http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2006/armpump/)

Dude I just did that work out and that makes your forearms and everything burn like you can't believe. I am going to do this work out 2 times a week and see if it helps. I did 10reps will the curl bar and then 15 pullups negatives only.

cletusEX
04-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I used to get thumb pump real bad in races. One thing that helped was breathing. Making a conscious effort to breath. Also, I know it sounds funny but, I got one of those old style ice cream scoops. With the thumb lever that scrapes the ice cream out of the scoop. I would use that in my car while driving to and from school and work. It actually worked. You can rig up some rubber bands to give it more resistance. I know it sounds like a joke but it helped me out a ton.

Racing Rice
04-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Dude I just did that work out and that makes your forearms and everything burn like you can't believe. I am going to do this work out 2 times a week and see if it helps. I did 10reps will the curl bar and then 15 pullups negatives only.

Keep us posted on how it works for you. I tried something similar using slow pulldown bar instead of pull up style. It still burned like hell. I haven't done it for a while. I don't usually get arm pump when I ride, but then again, I don't race competitively either.

JRP
04-18-2006, 01:59 PM
yea i got some tennis balls and held them in my hands and squeezed as hard as i could for 50 times. I did that 3 times and i could feel it burn. Ill see how it works.

jb500ex
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by JRP
alright thansk man. My mom said she would call the doctors today some time.
no problem, we are here too help