PDA

View Full Version : Hoot Owl Night Race

angelon400ex
08-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Hoot Owl Race Report
July 19th 2002

Next to the GNCCs the Hoot Owl was my next most highly anticipated race. It was a first annual night race featured by the MidEast Harescramble Series and I knew I would get to put my love for night riding to the test. It was coming fast upon us and I had not gotten much night riding practice in, so our trip to Windrock TN a few weeks beforehand we went on an adventurous night ride that included a little of everything. We also spent the Tuesday and Wednesday nights after work practicing behind my boyfriend Danny’s shop. Tuesday night we timed our laps and I pulled the fastest time. Then Wednesday night Danny pulled the fastest time and when I was running my last timed lap I caught a tree I never saw and my forearm took a 15-20 mph blow and the handlebar caught me in the chest stunning me enough that I had no control as I crashed into the woods until I came to a stop against a thicket of trees. I was gasping in pain and even shedding a few tears of frustration that I would probably miss the race only two nights away due to the wreck. My arm swelled instantly and hurt terribly but I rode myself out to my truck. My arm was tender to the slightest touch but I still hadn’t given up hope of racing as I went back Thursday to take a lap through the woods to conquer any fear and test my injuries. It was uncomfortably painful but in my dogged stubbornness I knew I would race if at all possible. So Friday afternoon we headed to Morganton NC to the Rockhouse track which is one of the tougher courses with infamous hillclimbs. This time I had no choice of women’s class and I chose to race the four stroke class with Danny and our friend Robbie Overstreet. Bonnie told us this race would be different than the usual MidEast races as we were drawing for starting order and we would start standing in front of or behind our quads. After some prepping and visiting friends such as Will and his family, it was time to meet for the rider’s meeting. Buren gleefully informed us that we were going through the river and it would be best for us to hug the banks because there were some swimming holes out there. The draw had everyone cheering and laughing as senior class was chosen first, then utility, two stroke and trailrider. Four stroke class got the fifth line with vets behind us and to everyone’s amusement the pros were drawn last. Bonnie demanded we sit on the front of the quads and the race began. In a cloud of dust the seniors took off followed by utility. The two stroke class had one lone competitor who had no problem getting his holeshot. If I remember correctly it was the trailrider class that had a new Z400 wheelie onto the grab bar with the start. Then it was our turn and when the green flag dropped and we ran around our quads Danny got a couple quads length lead but Robbie and I passed him before the turn around the American flag. I dropped in behind Robbie and in seconds we were all brought to a halt by a rider up ahead who was displaying all four wheels to those of us lined up waiting. Then Robbie pointed out a rider to me off a steep bank to my left and it was Will. I was glad to see he was trying to get out and seemed fine. Once the bottleneck broke through the charge was on. I had bound my arm well to prevent jarring and increasing the throbbing pain and it was working well but I rode cautiously as I sure didn’t want to aggravate the injury. The dust was blinding, requiring you to either slow to a crawl or charge on recklessly. I passed Robbie as he was stuck in ruts until he passed me back on an uphill. It was intimidating when we reached the river looking into black water with little indication of depth or what lurked under the water. My first charge went well and I passed Robbie again off in a hole sputtering and spinning. We had been forewarned of the Rockhouse Hill but told of an alternate “wussy trail” marked with pink arrows. I thought I had finished the worst hill after the river when I climbed a rather steep rooted hill. But I was in for a surprise when I reached another hill that headed up into the trees. As I climbed it I realized it had the last one beat by far and I could only hope for the best. The first two laps I hit neutral as I geared down to first on my way up. Fortunately I was able to cling on without rolling backwards as I found first and the second time I hit neutral another rider tagged me in the rear. I could only imagine their possible fate as I continued on up the hill making it with much relief. The course had everything you could hope for in a harescramble. It had challenging hills, the river, motocross section, tight twisty sections and hairy off cambers. Then when you threw in the dust and limited night vision it sure raised the level of excitement. After finding one of the swimming holes on the second lap I knew I was getting close to getting myself stuck in the river, so the third lap I had figured out what I was up against. I picked up my pace as we had spread out enough that the dust was less of an issue. I found a great line through the river keeping traction on the right bank and swinging far left to the rock ledge submerged partially under water before you exited back onto dirt. I spotted the pink arrows on my third lap but charged on up Rockhouse Hill straight up staying in second the third and fourth lap and feathering the clutch near the top. I made it with relief and excitement. I hit the jumps a little more on the track and booked it through the trees. I was having fun and it felt like nothing near 2 hours of racing. However, I was getting thirsty so the checkered flag was a welcome sight. I pulled up to our convoy of vehicles and didn’t see Danny or Robbie so I started figuring out somehow I had beaten both of them. They arrived later and Danny had run into trouble on the hill and so had Robbie. Robbie’s problems were more serious and caused some quad damage. It was my proudest moment with the MidEast series to find out I got fourth place out of seven of us in four stroke class and with an injury from just two nights before. I had a fantastic time in the race and I think that is the plaque I am most proud of. I also breathed some prayers of thanks to God for taking me through the course and up the hills without more injury. What an adventure my first night race was!!!!!!